• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

323221 new livery

Status
Not open for further replies.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Now this I can't wait to see! Best livery the 323s have carried in my opinion and it will be great to see it back.

I did like the Centro livery too, although I did also like the LM colours on 323s. It will be awesome to see, it'll be eye-catching and definitely worth a visit to Birmingham in the coming weeks!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

fgwrich

Established Member
Looking closely at those photos, it would appear to be a mixture of paint and vinyl. Not that it really matters - it's nice to see one of the 1990s liveries making a comeback. I'm feeling a little nostalgic seeing 221 like that complete with original Centro rings!

In a way, it's a shame there isn't any Sprinters left at Tyseley that couldn't also be "Centro'd"!

Snow1964

Established Member
From page 147 of the recently published Northern rail contract

Class 323,
51 (17 x 3 car) from West Midlands
2 x Units on 14th November 2022
2 x Units on 21st November 2022
2 x Units on 5th December 2022
5 x Units on 9th January 2023
4 x Units on 13th February 2023
2 x Units on 8th May 2023

Might have changed since publication, with some temporary sub-leases back

On Moderation

Class 323,

These 17 units have all been on lease to Northern since last year, with a sub-lease back to West Mids. So more a case of some sub-leased being extended.

Techniquest

Veteran Member
Looking closely at those photos, it would appear to be a mixture of paint and vinyl. Not that it really matters - it's nice to see one of the 1990s liveries making a comeback. I'm feeling a little nostalgic seeing 221 like that complete with original Centro rings!

In a way, it's a shame there isn't any Sprinters left at Tyseley that couldn't also be "Centro'd"!

I'm getting nostalgic too, this livery was around for a good while after I arrived on the scene although it is more remembered for me on 150s.

As much as it would not be authentic, I do wonder what a 172 would look like in Centro livery!

Sprinter107

I'm getting nostalgic too, this livery was around for a good while after I arrived on the scene although it is more remembered for me on 150s.

As much as it would not be authentic, I do wonder what a 172 would look like in Centro livery!
I was thinking the same as regards a 172.

43102EMR

Established Member
It just doesn’t quite complete the original look sadly
It’s not meant to be 100% - even the doors aren’t as it needs to be DDA compliant etc. End of the day, I’d rather see it like this than in the horrible WMR livery.

MCR247

Established Member
It’s not meant to be 100% - even the doors aren’t as it needs to be DDA compliant etc. End of the day, I’d rather see it like this than in the horrible WMR livery.
I didn’t say it was meant to be 100%. My original post did also say it does look great. I’m not sure what relevance the doors are as there will be a different reason for not doing the lights

prod_pep

Established Member
The yellow lights are a bit of a shame, I must admit, but otherwise it does look superb. Looking forward to seeing it in the flesh.

skyhigh

Established Member

Class 323,

The dates have been pushed back. The first won't be with Northern until 2023, with the last arriving in 2024. But that may change (again).

fgwrich

Established Member
I think it looks smart with the yellow light clusters
+1 on this - I think it looks less bug-eyed with the yellow light clusters. If we were being pedantic, I'm not sure about the yellow strip in-between the windscreen, but I'm not going to be and I really rather like it as it is. Even the full yellow doors are an improvement over the half yellow efforts the fleet carried prior to London Midland.

Last edited:

xotGD

Established Member
If we were going for an inauthentic livery how about WYPTE red, as a "what might've been"?
You never know - Northern might decide to concentrate the 331s in the West and send some 323s over here...

boxerdog

The dates have been pushed back. The first won't be with Northern until 2023, with the last arriving in 2024. But that may change (again).
My understanding is that the WMT 323s will leave the West Midlands for Northern between February and May 2024

Techniquest

Veteran Member
+1 on this - I think it looks less bug-eyed with the yellow light clusters. If we were being pedantic, I'm not sure about the yellow strip in-between the windscreen, but I'm not going to be and I really rather like it as it is. Even the full yellow doors are an improvement over the half yellow efforts the fleet carried prior to London Midland.

I have to agree, I mean I'd like the black surround on the light clusters but the yellow looks good too. I hadn't even considered the full yellow doors, so that much is not an issue as far as I'm concerned. I'd be asking questions if the doors were not yellow, it wouldn't look right to not be yellow doors!

fgwrich

Established Member
I have to agree, I mean I'd like the black surround on the light clusters but the yellow looks good too. I hadn't even considered the full yellow doors, so that much is not an issue as far as I'm concerned. I'd be asking questions if the doors were not yellow, it wouldn't look right to not be yellow doors!
To be honest, I had actually forgotten that the yellow square on the doors was a fairly late addition to the original livery! The compliant full yellow tribute version actually, in my opinion, looks somewhat better.

Russel

Never really noticed until now, but the 323s are actually very nice looking units and do not look nearly 30 years old.

XCTurbostar

Established Member
Doesn't look like it's out today but it will almost certainly be next week.

Sprinter107

Looking forward to getting some pics of that. Been a 323 fan since they were new. Be nice if someone brought a model of one out.

Status
Not open for further replies.