• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

37s at Coventry

Status
Not open for further replies.

TomJ93

Twice I've passed coventry and 37s have been in the sidings. Passed today's one twice and it gad the engine running for 3hours whilst stationary, why is this needed?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matt

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Twice I've passed coventry and 37s have been in the sidings. Passed today's one twice and it gad the engine running for 3hours whilst stationary, why is this needed?

They have been there on stanby for snow ploughing. I suspect they are left running in case they dont start up when required

TomJ93

But why here? Surely if they sat at Rugby they could be of more use in two sections of the wcml? I'm off to have a nose at it soon.

Rugd1022

But why here? Surely if they sat at Rugby they could be of more use in two sections of the wcml? I'm off to have a nose at it soon.

It could be something to do with Beechwood Tunnel, between Coventry and Brum International. There was a serious problem with icicles hanging down above the overhead wiring on Monday, the train I was on at Brum had to head north to Stafford to gain the Trent Valley route to Rugby because of this. The tunnel is notoriously slippy in bad weather, I know as I nearly skidded all the way through it on a light engine several years ago, the wheels just picked up and off it went. Not pleasant....

Nidge

The Planner

Veteran Member
That and the fact a LM got tangled in the knitting on the up line and brought it down.

Status
Not open for further replies.