• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

39 steps. Hitchcock film

Status
Not open for further replies.

philthetube

Established Member
I have no idea if this is the correct place to post, mosd please feel free to move.

This film was on BBC 2 at 1315 this afternoon 11/7, now available on I Player

There is a view of an A1 (I Think) 18m and further along some interior shots.

Also at 35m 30sce a quick shot of a helicopter. which is wierd as according to wikipedia the first commercial one did not fly until 1939 and the film was made in 1935.

On further investigation I find that this was an autogyro, one thing I do know is that you wouldn't get me in it

The film is worth a look anyway,

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Yes, it's an autogyro. Developed in the 1920s. A predecessor of the helicopter.

Dr Hoo

Established Member
Apparently there was a news story shortly before the film was made about the first person to 'commute' by aircraft, specifically an autogyro, and they decided to include one in the film to make it seem 'cutting edge'.

There are at least four versions of the film available on DVD (three for the cinema and one made for TV, I think). All have railway scenes.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
The engine depicted in the 1935 film as the Northbound departure from London was an A3, named "Trigo" (after the 1929 Epsom Derby winner), and originally numbered LNER 2595. Entered service in 1930 and eventually sold for scrap in late 1964.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Different engine seen coming out of the tunnel a few moments later just as the cleaning lady (?) discovers the dead body in the lead character's London flat.

Mcr Warrior

Veteran Member
Some more possible inconsistencies...

The tunnel that the train emerges from after departing London looks to be Box Tunnel between Chippenham and Bath Spa (N.B. Different engine and no longer showing the "Flying Scotsman" signboard it had in London!) What routeing is this supposedly Edinburgh bound train taking?

When the train eventually arrives at Edinburgh Waverley, the lead character alights the train and then jumps back on again as it then departs Northward. Did the 1930's "Flying Scotsman" service ever actually call at stations north of Edinburgh?

On the approach to the Forth (?) railway bridge, there is brief footage of the train negotiating a left hand curve with snow covered hills on the far side of a stretch of water / the coastline. Is there any such section of track in the area approaching Dalmeny / South Queensferry?

And when on the (Forth Rail?) bridge itself, the train is shown travelling at a fair speed as it passes by the South arch of the bridge. Yet it's around 80 seconds after this, after the communication cord / chain has been pulled, that the train finally comes to a halt. Yet it's still mid-section on the bridge, having not yet passed the North arch. (The lead character is seen looking down at one of the piers). Does that seem right (80 seconds on the bridge to get no further than the North Section Fife Pier) given that it's only just over a mile between the South and North arches and even less if the train has seemingly stopped above either the North Section Fife support pier or maybe even the Central Section Inchgarvie Pier?

Any others?

Looks like the 1935 filmmakers made use of a random selection of railway-related stock footage hoping that no-one would notice!

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I'm quite fond of the slightly later re-make with Kenneth Moore.

Some nice 1950's footage of Kings Cross and the Fourth Bridge.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
A very fine film with buckets of period charm. Lots of references to fish. (subtle sponsorship ?)

The original tale was set (I think) in South West Scotland.

Just don't go around asking random people "who are the 39 Steps" - dangerous.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
The 39 Steps is an organisation of spies, collecting information on behalf of the Foreign Office of...aarghh

Having previously answered every question .."am I right sir" - not seen the film for years - but it sticks in the mind . A gem.

John Luxton

Established Member

Some nice 1950's footage of Kings Cross and the Fourth Bridge.

Of all the 39 Steps Films, including the fairly recent BBC TV Movie, the Kenneth Moore version of 39 Steps always ranks as the best in my book and I have all the versions on DVD - but that is the one I prefer to watch and probably is the more accurate railway wise. The big howler in the original film is the sudden appearance of the GWR loco when Robert Donat is heading north supposedly on the ECML. The later Robert Powell one filed on the SVR just appears fake when it comes to the railway scenes!

John

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Of all the 39 Steps Films, including the fairly recent BBC TV Movie, the Kenneth Moore version of 39 Steps always ranks as the best in my book and I have all the versions on DVD - but that it the one I prefer to watch and probably is the more accurate railway wise. The big howler in the original film is the sudden appearance of the GWR loco when Robert Donat his heading north supposedly on the ECML. The later Robert Powell one filed on the SVR just appears fake when it comes to the railway scenes!

John

I must admit, I've not really seen the other two, but my parents say this one is their favourite !

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Of all the 39 Steps Films, including the fairly recent BBC TV Movie, the Kenneth Moore version of 39 Steps always ranks as the best in my book and I have all the versions on DVD

I like the Moore version more but think the Hitchcock version is a better bit of film making.

The book doesn't contain the famous Forth Bridge scenes btw.

yorksrob

Veteran Member
I like the Moore version more but think the Hitchcock version is a better bit of film making.

The book doesn't contain the famous Forth Bridge scenes btw.

Yes, I'd heard that the Fourth Bridge scenes were artistic license. I'm thankful that they included them though.

randyrippley

Established Member
Yes, it's an autogyro. Developed in the 1920s. A predecessor of the helicopter.

details of the autogyro - which was apparently actually a model - here

At the time the film was made, autogyros were cutting-edge technology and Scottish industrialist James George Weir was their champion. Along with Spanish engineer Juan de la Cierva, Weir had founded the Cierva Autogiro Company in 1926, based in Hanworth, south-west London, and reportedly commuted to work daily in his own autogyro. Although his descendants have claimed that Weir is actually piloting the autogyro in the film, a cursory glance at the sequence is enough to confirm that what we’re seeing is a rather crude scale model shown against a horizontally scrolling backdrop.

However, the sequence in the film does offer up a few pieces of interesting trivia:

1. Firstly, the model shown in the film is of a genuine autogryo — the Cierva C-30A, which was manufactured in the UK by Arvo as the Avro 671 from 1934 onwards.
  2. Secondly, the sequence has been horizontally flipped — the original footage was of an autogyro flying from right-to-left, which would have been away from Hannay, so Hitchcock flipped it to make it appear the autogyro was flying from left-to-right and towards Hannay.
  3. Thirdly, it seems likely the footage of the autogyro was a last-minute addition to the film — in the preceding shot, Hannay looks back over his shoulder downwards (towards the police pursuing him in the valley below) rather than upwards towards the sky.
  4. Finally, with the image flipped back to its original state, we can make out the autogyro’s serial number: G-ACVC. The “G” prefix was used to denote non-military aircraft and G-ACVC was assigned to a Cierva C-30A autogyro which was officially registered in June 1934 and then sold overseas two months later.

Taunton

Established Member
Actually the best production of all was a 2000s theatre show, principally at the Criterion Theatre, Piccadilly Circus, done as a comedy. It depended on you knowing of the book and particularly the Hitchcock film version. It used just four actors who must have each worked through 30 or more costumes through the production. It was brilliant, witty, and well received by the critics; it ran for 10 years, and won awards for best comedy. A scene on stage of crossing the Forth Bridge was parodied by using boxes and hand-held sticks to mimic the outline of the bridge!

Arglwydd Golau

Established Member
Actually the best production of all was a 2000s theatre show, principally at the Criterion Theatre, Piccadilly Circus, done as a comedy. It depended on you knowing of the book and particularly the Hitchcock film version. It used just four actors who must have each worked through 30 or more costumes through the production. It was brilliant, witty, and well received by the critics; it ran for 10 years, and won awards for best comedy. A scene on stage of crossing the Forth Bridge was parodied by using boxes and hand-held sticks to mimic the outline of the bridge!

I would absolutely agree with that! A wonderful show, excellent acting and hilarious at times!

Taunton

Established Member
The show went to Broadway as well, there are a couple of Youtube clips from it, though I think the London one looks just a bit better done

341o2

Established Member
I see what you did there :lol:
That's an old gag as in the Goons

Eccles - "I built the Fourth Bridge"
Seagoon "When did you do that?"
Eccles "After the third one fell down"
Seagoon "If it was as old as that gag, I'm not surprised!"

Status
Not open for further replies.