• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

390033 - Anything left?

Status
Not open for further replies.

03_179

Established Member
Afternoon all,

I was wondering if there was anything left of of 390033 following the Lambrigg accident and if so where it might be.

I was asked the other day about it and I cannot for the life of me remember ...

Thanks in advance.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

NoOnesFool

Afternoon all,

I was wondering if there was anything left of of 390033 following the Lambrigg accident and if so where it might be.

I was asked the other day about it and I cannot for the life of me remember ...

Thanks in advance.
Two carriages were saved and used for training. They even appeared on an episode of The Hotel Inspector.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Answered a few times on here over the years, but here's the details:

Driving Motor First 69133 and Pantograph Trailer Standard Buffet 69833 in use as training vehicles at Virgin's "Talent Academy" training centre at Crewe,
Motor First 69633 and Motor Standard 69733 at the fire training college at Moreton in Marsh, as noted above,
Motor First 69433 and Pantograph Trailer First 69533 were stored at Long Marston, not sure if they still are,
Motor Standard 69933 at Cranfield Safety & Accident Investigation Centre in Bedfordshire.

Driving Motor Standard 69233, leading at the time of Grayrigg derailment, and Trailer Standard 68833 were cut up.

Last edited:

adrock1976

Established Member
What's it called? It's called Cumbernauld
Before the surviving coaches were split up to go to various locations, was any thought given for the remaining 6 non cab end coaches to be inserted into 3 sets (2 coaches each) to make them up to 11 coaches?

I am aware that 390157 was built to replace 390033 a while ago.

sprinterguy

Established Member
Before the surviving coaches were split up to go to various locations, was any thought given for the remaining 6 non cab end coaches to be inserted into 3 sets (2 coaches each) to make them up to 11 coaches?

I am aware that 390157 was built to replace 390033 a while ago.
Has also been discussed before, these are the pertinent points that were raised as to why not some years ago, just to avoid rehashing them:
https://www.railforums.co.uk/threads/grayrigg-pendolino.57136/
Crosscover said:
Probably the cost of proving them to be railworthy again...I believe this may be part of the reason the unit became an insurance write off
daikilo said:
This would probably require first demonstrating what crash-loadings they actually sustained and, if these can be calculated and were above design loads, that they had not resulted in weakened structures. If an insurance company has declared a write-off, recover, remanufacture and rebuild is the only way forward.
dubscottie said:
The issue with the 390's is that they are made from extrusions which nobody has worked out how to repair sections of yet. (cant weld seams inside them, so the whole section has to be replaced).

With a Mk4 it is easy enough to cut and weld in new steel but with extrusions a whole new panel (or plank as they are known) has to be made and somehow attached. there was talk of producing new planks to repair 390033 during the current build, however it was cheaper just to build a new unit.
Plus, it's not as simple as just inserting any old vehicles into the Pendolinos to extend them. Of the two additional vehicles inserted into the Pendolinos to make them into 11 carriage formations, one is a motor standard and the other a trailer standard with a transformer fitted - essentially a pantograph car sans pantograph, and as with any other Pendolino 390033 had only two pantograph cars.

Status
Not open for further replies.