• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

395 Javelin seat comfort

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lewis lamb62)

In your opinions, how do the seats on 395s stack up against older intercity rolling stock like the HSTs and voyagers, or if (we can dream) the ECML was to be upgraded to 140 capability how far north could they get before people started complaining about achy backs?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
In your opinions, how do the seats on 395s stack up against older intercity rolling stock like the HSTs and voyagers, or if (we can dream) the ECML was to be upgraded to 140 capability how far north could they get before people started complaining about achy backs?

I like them, and had hoped 80x would get the same seats, being essentially a version of the same thing. Sadly not.

The general ambiance is basically exactly the same as a Class 350 but a bit faster, FWIW.

scotlass

There surely aren't any worse seats than the LNER Azuma 1st class seats? Tired of reading the same social media response about how they have been extensively researched, tested and approved. The angle is all wrong, especially if you happen to not be very tall. Never left Edinburgh Waverley yet and not seen people standing up and stretching by the time we're through Berwick upon Tweed.

greyman42

Established Member
395 seats are better than the 80x stock but not as good as the mallard refurbished coaches or the older HST seats.

bramling

Veteran Member

Seem okay to me. Not quite as nice as some of the springy seating found in older trains, but still quite okay in my view.

Hadders

Veteran Member
Associate Staff
Senior Fares Advisor
I agree that seats on the Javelins are fine.

The worst seats on the network are the standard class 700 seats. Proper ironing boards.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
I like them, and had hoped 80x would get the same seats, being essentially a version of the same thing. Sadly not.

The general ambiance is basically exactly the same as a Class 350 but a bit faster, FWIW.
They’re much nicer than the abominations that are 350s. In fact, I’d be willing to take a 395 for a fairly long journey, maybe I could do three or four hours to Newcastle or Edinburgh on one with a plug socket and a bottle of water. When on a 350 I just want to curl up and die before we’ve even past Harrow!

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
They’re much nicer than the abominations that are 350s. In fact, I’d be willing to take a 395 for a fairly long journey, maybe I could do three or four hours to Newcastle or Edinburgh on one with a plug socket and a bottle of water. When on a 350 I just want to curl up and die before we’ve even past Harrow!

Really? Each to their own, I guess, but I've done 3 hours on a 350/1 (and 4 and a half on a 444, which is basically the same thing but with end doors) and I'd rather that than a Pendolino.

D365

Veteran Member
There surely aren't any worse seats than the LNER Azuma 1st class seats? Tired of reading the same social media response about how they have been extensively researched, tested and approved. The angle is all wrong, especially if you happen to not be very tall. Never left Edinburgh Waverley yet and not seen people standing up and stretching by the time we're through Berwick upon Tweed.

Really? Maybe my height is why I haven’t noticed a problem. One can do far worse than first class on LNER.

Bletchleyite

Veteran Member
Really? Maybe my height is why I haven’t noticed a problem. One can do far worse than first class on LNER.

They're rubbish for tall people, too. LNER are the worst in that regard because that massive cushion they've seen fit to add that nobody else has nicely pushes into the back of my shoulders. LNER can join their fellow TOC with one less letter, LNR, in being one where I would travel in Standard even if I had a First Class ticket. I did make the comment otherwise upthread, but I had the GWR seats with the thinner headrest cushion in mind.

Doomotron

I have a feeling that SE are replacing the seat bases (last time I went on a 395 it was much softer, almost like a 444). Replaced or not, I still find them very comfortable, and the tables are quite big as well.

Mikey C

Established Member
395s are fine, personally I find the early Southeastern Electrostar seats more comfortable, or indeed most 168/170s.

westv

Established Member
You do realise you can change the angle of the seat?

S-Bahn

Only been a javelin once and I thought the seats were decent for a relatively short distance intercity train. I did think the 80x would have the same when they were announced.

The 80x just needs a softer base on the seat.

1st class on the 80x is a massive downgrade on what we had before.

Voyager 2093

If 350s are bad then I'd hate to see one's opinion on an Electrostar. That for me is a terrible train. 395s are really nice and airy inside, lovely acceleration too.

TT-ONR-NRN

Established Member
If 350s are bad then I'd hate to see one's opinion on an Electrostar. That for me is a terrible train. 395s are really nice and airy inside, lovely acceleration too.
The 377/4 is for me are the nicest third rail EMU going but the 395s really are very good. The 800s are not nearly as comfortable.

Islineclear3_1

Established Member
PTSO or platform depending on the weather

Haven't been on many 350's but the seating on the Javelins is fine for me for the 1 hour journey to my folks

The seats on early Electrostars are indeed certainly better than the ironing boards on later units

Doomotron

I think that Southeastern mainline/HS is very good commuter stuff compared to Southern, GWR, c2c, etc (except the 375/9s, which for some unknown reason have 3+2 seating yet don't appear on any metro services*). Personally I like the Electrostars but my favourite is the /8, which is harder but is more supportive and doesn't give me a numb back side. None of the Electrostars, though, are as nice and airy as the Javelins, even with Southeastern's brilliant refurbishment.

*Off-topic, but talking about 375/9s, I think if they removed the third seat, added armrests (the 379s have the same seats but with armests), maybe bigger tables if they can find any, and maybe better baes, they'll be fine for mainline services.

Man of Kent

I think that Southeastern mainline/HS is very good commuter stuff compared to Southern, GWR, c2c, etc (except the 375/9s, which for some unknown reason have 3+2 seating yet don't appear on any metro services*).
The 375/9s were intended as replacements for 4VEP commuter workings, especially Chatham line services to Cannon Street, which at the time required more capacity than 2+2 seats could offer.

None of the Electrostars, though, are as nice and airy as the Javelins, even with Southeastern's brilliant refurbishment.
I'm struggling to understand how the lower-backed and lower density seats in all but the 375/9s can be regarded as "less airy" than the high-backed, high-density layout in the Javelins. In many seats in a Javelin it is all but impossible to see out of the windows on the opposite side of the train.

Doomotron

I'm struggling to understand how the lower-backed and lower density seats in all but the 375/9s can be regarded as "less airy" than the high-backed, high-density layout in the Javelins. In many seats in a Javelin it is all but impossible to see out of the windows on the opposite side of the train.
I meant it literally. The Electrostars are much hotter than the Javelins (and have much shorter legroom as well).

Status
Not open for further replies.