• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

3rd December Train Failure at York- help!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ian B

Hi all!

It was my great fortune (!) to spend 4 hours on board a failed train just north of York on Friday. 91120 was the train engine that failed- 67003 came to the rescue and also failed.

Does anyone have any idea what then hauled everything into York station? It had been removed by the time I fought through the crowds!

There were a large number of locos kicking round at the time- 37409, 47851, 57601 and 66421 were all around but were all unlikely.

A member of the public said she'd heard our rescue engine had come 'from the museum' but there was no sign of 47798 and Bittern (which was outside and in steam) is a tad unlikely!!! ;)

Any suggestions as to what it could be would be gratefully received!!!

Thankyou!

Ian B

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

YorkshireBear

Established Member
i was in york appoximately the same time, which platform did you go into?

as a dead 91 set was in p11 as i was nosying of the tour next to it, a 67 was attached at the front recieving attention from people

someone then informed signalman and it given green light 2 mins later i presume this was the same 67
my photo of it is blurred (the only one from the day dam!) it left just after 17:30

i noticed later a traingle of 3 lights on a loco in a siding just south of p11 this siding was attached to the platform the dead set was in and on leaving for leeds later on i noticed it was a DRS 37 unfortunately i can not say which one it was dark but i tried my best only two numbers i caught were the 37 at the front.... shame as i already new them

so from that i can presume it was this DRS 37....

Last edited:

Ian B

Thanks for your reply- it was platform 11 we went in to. 67003 was on the end of my stock and was getting fitters attention- I think it was later sorted and headed off ECS.

I also noticed the 3 lights to the south of the station but couldn't identify what they were off- 37409 was in one of the bays at the time so it definitely wasn't that!

There had been a few 37s around that day- 682, 229 and 194 have been snow clearing on the ECML all week...
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
PS- 37409 later ended up rescuing 66421 from south of York and dragged it back to the south sidings so may have been down there around that time...

YorkshireBear

Established Member
id definitely say it was that 37 that got you, it was in the siding leading off directly infront of the 67

yeah the 67 which i am pretty sure was 67003 left with empty set at just after 17:30 if that fits in with your times if not the camara on my phone has wrong time in it.

sorry i didnt catch number

yeah i saw 37409 leave the bay just after that set left ECS, was quite impressive

i was in museum watching bittern as she came in, i arrived in york (from leeds via harrogate) and just manadged to rush off train and run up to catch her steam off away from the carriges

Ian B

Certainly looks like it! Must've been some sharp shunting done as within 20 mins or so the 67 was directly on the train and I saw the 57 restarting in the parcels sidings!

I like Mk4s but a coach with opening windows is always helpful in these situations...

Thanks guys!

YorkshireBear

Established Member
ah sorry got that wrong, i didnt think it was 57.... i saw the 57 attatch to the back of the tour heading north...

Status
Not open for further replies.