• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4472/60103 The Flying Scotsman

Status
Not open for further replies.

IanPooleTrains

Established Member
According to an article in The Railway Magazine....AND I QUOTE:

The frames of the NRM's No. 4472 Flying Scotsman returned to York on December 2 after the fitting of air brake equipment at Ian Riley's Bury Works

The wheels will also be returning to York shortly following turning at Tyseley. The locomotive will be rewheeled for the final time (there have been previous test fittings0 soon after. Flying Scotsman will be displayed in York's Great Hall on May 28-30, outwardly complete albeit in grey primer rather than it's final apple green livery

The NRM anticipates a formal unveiling on a date yet to be announced and remains confident No. 4472 will be in steam this summer

Discuss...........

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

mumrar

Established Member
Well, the pros and cons of the rebuild have been done to death on here, but ultimately, in view of accepting that it is being done, at least they're being thorough.

I will doubtless enjoy seeing it when it's completed, certainly it will send my son into a spiral, having only seen it in picture/video/simulator form.

I expect sneering and derision within the enthusiast fraternity the first time it fails, especially if it's early days.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The return of the most over-rated steam loco in the world…Gresley Pacifics are my favourite type of main line steam locos (Along with the similar but smaller V2s), but I just can’t understand the amount of hype surrounding this particular one at all times.

Nonetheless, well done to the NRM for completing the overhaul, I’m sure those involved are relieved that the hard work restoring the loco is almost over.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
According to an article in The Railway Magazine....AND I QUOTE:

The frames of the NRM's No. 4472 Flying Scotsman returned to York on December 2 after the fitting of air brake equipment at Ian Riley's Bury Works

The wheels will also be returning to York shortly following turning at Tyseley. The locomotive will be rewheeled for the final time (there have been previous test fittings0 soon after. Flying Scotsman will be displayed in York's Great Hall on May 28-30, outwardly complete albeit in grey primer rather than it's final apple green livery

The NRM anticipates a formal unveiling on a date yet to be announced and remains confident No. 4472 will be in steam this summer

Discuss...........

If you check out my Flickr site you will note the frames are in the NRM works. However i am not convinced that those dates will be met. (going on past records!) Greta to she it back steaming (eventually)

floydeeeee

If you check out my Flickr site you will note the frames are in the NRM works. However i am not convinced that those dates will be met. (going on past records!) Greta to she it back steaming (eventually)

out of instrest, what camera do you use? i was at the nrm on thursday and mine struggling with the lighting in there

junglejames

Established Member
The return of the most over-rated steam loco in the world…Gresley Pacifics are my favourite type of main line steam locos (Along with the similar but smaller V2s), but I just can’t understand the amount of hype surrounding this particular one at all times.

Nonetheless, well done to the NRM for completing the overhaul, I’m sure those involved are relieved that the hard work restoring the loco is almost over.

Basically what your trying to say can be said in 4 words. 'I dont like it'.
So what is it about the Flying Scotsman? I think i just said it. Because its The Flying Scotsman. Thats what it is. Its everything about the loco. The name, the history, everything. Just the name itself is enough to make her stand out from all the rest, but there is more as well.
Along with 'Mallard' she is the most famous steam loco around.
She is no better or worse than any of the other Pacifics, but the history and the name makes her the most famous.
Everything about her makes her worthy of a place in British history.
I would have thought even diesel/ electric enthusiasts (like myself) could appreciate this fine loco. At the end of the day though, it comes down to personal taste i suppose.

sprinterguy

Established Member
I don't mind "Flying Scotsman", I just don't understand why the loco is such "a big deal" compared to all the other preserved steam locos. Scotsman is no more important, and perhaps less so in a historical context, than some others that slipped through the net: "Great Northern" or "Silver Link" for a start.

ainsworth74

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
On that point, wouldn't that be something to see her back in steam? Can you imagine the fuss?

Now that's a loco I would like to see back on the mainline in steam! Though I would expect the arguments to rage about whether or not it's a good idea (we've had it several times on here before now).

junglejames

Established Member
I don't mind "Flying Scotsman", I just don't understand why the loco is such "a big deal" compared to all the other preserved steam locos. Scotsman is no more important, and perhaps less so in a historical context, than some others that slipped through the net: "Great Northern" or "Silver Link" for a start.

The Flying Scotsman is probably the most famous named train in the UK, and the fact this loco was named after this train, and was one of the first, if not the first, to haul this train, makes her extremely famous. Historically there are other things as well.
Compared to the Flying Scotsman, the Great Northern and Silver Link just dont have the same fame.
This is why the Flying Scotsman is a 'big deal'.
Unfortunately for some, the name, and fame of this loco means she is more important, on the whole.
Great Northern and Silver Link may have more history, but the fact the names are not as famous means they are deemed not as important.
I myself wouldnt mind seeing these locos around, but unfortunately other locos like The Flying Scotsman won through.

As for Mallard, yes she should be in steam. That would be fantastic. Just look at the following 'Sir Nigel Gresley' gets on the rare occasions she is found on the mainline.

sprinterguy

Established Member
The Flying Scotsman is probably the most famous named train in the UK, and the fact this loco was named after this train, and was one of the first, if not the first, to haul this train, makes her extremely famous.

4472 is in the happy situation of carrying the name of a very famous working and as such was always a likely contender for preservation, and given it's deep involvement with the non-stop running of the "Flying Scotsman" train it is only fitting that the loco is recognised for it's acheivements. What "Flying Scotsman" is especially good at doing is raising awareness of British railway history, which is a commendable cause. I suppose if any A3 was to make it into preservation, then 4472 is a logical choice (I still lament the loss of "Great Northern" mind). I like the loco (Gresley A3 and A4 Super Pacifics are awesome, and it's great that there is an A3 around today), still don't understand all the hype surrounding it, history or no.

A footnote on the "Flying Scotsman" train:
4472 "Flying Scotsman" was the principal train engine to work the non-stop "Flying Scotsman" train introduced in 1928 ( with 4476 "Royal Lancer" as a stand by), which is when the "Flying Scotsman" train rose to it's greatest prominence, but given that the origins of the "Flying Scotsman" train lie in 1862 with the 10am "Special Scotch Express", and that it was the 1888 "Race to the North" that unofficially coined the name the "Flying Scotchman", then it would be a tad difficult that "Flying Scotsman" hauled the first train of that name :p When the "Flying Scotsman" train name was taken up officially in 1924, it was No.1471 that regularly did the honours, as "Scotsman" was at the time shedded at Doncaster and hence had no involvement with the train of the same name in the early years.

DarloRich

Veteran Member
out of instrest, what camera do you use? i was at the nrm on thursday and mine struggling with the lighting in there

I have used a couple. My normal pocket snapper is an Olympus X-925 which seems a pretty decent little camera. Most of my "still" pictures on my flickr are taken with that. I also borrow my fathers Nikon D70 for the moving pictures (he wont let me borrow his really good ones!) but the recent NRM ones were taken with a Nikon Coolpics L16

hughesfowler

East lancashire Railway made a press release in conjunction with NRM earlier this year to the effect that 4472 will be "run in" on the elr, the boiler having benn overhauled at Ian Riley engineering

CosherB

Established Member
4472 is famous for being 4472 - that's all. It's a money pit which has drained NRM of funds that might have seen Mallard, the streamlined Hamilton, and Evening Star back in steam!

They should have restored 'Scotsman' to static display only and spent the money more wisely.

Status
Not open for further replies.