• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

45015 being scrapped finally.

Status
Not open for further replies.

HOOVER29

Reading my emails at work last night one of them said that the cutting of 45015 was imminent.
Apparently the number panel/s has/have already been cut with the rest to follow shortly.

Anyone know anything about it or when it’s happening?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

The Wnxx.com paid site advises cutting is in progress and parts removal is being undertaken, the number panels have been removed, there is a twitter link in the below which shows the number panel

headshot119

Established Member
Shame. Nobody would consider scrapping a steam loco and there's several no-hopers rusting away around the country.

Hyperbole, plenty of steam locomotives have been scrapped following preservation. It's a fact of life that not everything can be saved.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Hyperbole, plenty of steam locomotives have been scrapped following preservation. It's a fact of life that not everything can be saved.
Apart from those from the Barry 10 cannibalised to create reproductions and a pannier at the SVR there can't be that many. And I don't mean industrials.

fgwrich

Established Member
This is one loco it is time to let go. Both for the sake of itself and to put the Battlefield line out of its misery. Parts will live on in other locos and the Battlefield will regain some valuable siding space, but the best thing coming for the remnants of this thing has been a one way trip to Booths for a long, long time.

It should also act as a lesson to anyone ever thinking about saving and purchasing rolling stock - you need to get the basics right first!

alexl92

Established Member
It'sthe end of an era for so many reasons... so many memes, so many jokes... The BashMash will be reduced to posting tired photos of traffic cones... oh wait!

markindurham

Apart from those from the Barry 10 cannibalised to create reproductions and a pannier at the SVR there can't be that many. And I don't mean industrials.
42859 appears to have been lost now, other than a few parts. The boiler has certainly gone, and there is a great deal of speculation about what actually remains & where the parts are.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
Its a shame that people will throw money into building new build reproductions whilst genuine locos are left to rot or scrapped.

On Moderation
Its a shame that people will throw money into building new build reproductions whilst genuine locos are left to rot or scrapped.
Why? It’s their money to do what they want with.

45015 was an utter wreck: it should have been scrapped when EWS sold it.

Roast Veg

Established Member
Is it? At what point does a restoration project become a replication project anyway?

fgwrich

Established Member
Why? It’s their money to do what they want with.

45015 was an utter wreck: it should have been scrapped when EWS sold it.
Exactly. There won't be any new build Peaks - There's enough of those, just. Any new build locos are of long scrapped locos. The LMS1000 project is building up the most suitable parts it requires including utilising the base of a 58 (because they are similar, not because of the unavailability of the bits from the peak).

markindurham

One man's meat is another man's poison...

No doubt whatever you are a big fan of will be abhorrent to someone else. That's life. Deal with it.

Well ok, to be brutal.What stopped you throwing your hard earned money at 45015? IMO there is space for both new build and the restoration of this or that "Barry style" wreck.The scrapping is a sad and to be expected development in the circumstances, as buying a locomotive or any other item of stock etc is the easy bit. It's the ongoing follow up finances that is/are the problems....

Neptune

Established Member
At least there are plenty of preserved peaks and 45015 wasn’t exactly unique or special.

gg1

Established Member
Completely different situation as the new builds are all of classes of which there were no original survivors. In this instance there are 11 45s in preservation, all in far better condition than 45015.

Strathclyder

Established Member
Long past time that this saga was brought to a end. It's a pity, but apart from anything else, 45015 is far from unique in the realm of preserved mainline diesels (11 other 45s are preserved, all in far better condition); 015's demise - being put out of it's misery more like - will no doubt assist in their upkeep one way or the other. The Battlefield Line will no doubt be grateful to close this particular chapter (and regain some valuable siding space to boot).

Last edited:

The loco was basically a rotten shell, with most usable parts removed before the move from Toton to Shackerstone. It had been pared at the end of the siding for many years with no work done to it and the owner was alleged to be in dispute with the railway. it was never going to end well for the former D14. I have been told that some parts such as the bogies have been sold on for further use, but these would need a complete overhaul before even being considered for use under another Peak. At least 1 of the traction motors is seized, the reason for its withdrawal some 35+ years ago.
RIP 45015 its been emotional.

Last edited:

Bevan Price

Established Member
42859 appears to have been lost now, other than a few parts. The boiler has certainly gone, and there is a great deal of speculation about what actually remains & where the parts are.
Any steam loco stored for over 50 years will need a new boiler and many other parts before it can work again.

Ashley Hill

Established Member
I suppose preservation these days means a lot different to years ago. There's been several locos preserved and then either subsequently scrapped due to lack of funds or sold on to the likes of HNRC for further use.

JKF

At least there are plenty of preserved peaks and 45015 wasn’t exactly unique or special.
Oldest survivor, if that counts for anything. And definitely special, but maybe not for good reasons.

With my hypothetical lottery winnings I’d have preserved it ‘as is’ , then shipped it around to the various galas as a star attraction. It’d definitely pull in the crowds.

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator
Oldest survivor, if that counts for anything. And definitely special, but maybe not for good reasons.

With my hypothetical lottery winnings I’d have preserved it ‘as is’ , then shipped it around to the various galas as a star attraction. It’d definitely pull in the crowds.

Shopping list:

Printed flyers
Steps for access to decimated cab
Dustpan and brush
Display stand
Volvo F16 4x6 tractor unit
20 axle low loader trailer with winch
Tea bags, kettle and sleeping bag.

Sorted. :)

Monkeyhead

Obviously completely hypothetically (and this might be better in the speculative ideas section I guess), if you'd won £50m on the lottery and wanted to get it sorted, where would you start? Could you still get all the bits that have been taken over the years, would you just dismantle the thing, refurbish what you could, replace the rusty metal with new, could you realistically get it mainline re-certified or at best are you looking at a trundle up and down a preserved line. I guess the first issue would be finding somewhere to work on a beast that size......

gg1

Established Member
Obviously completely hypothetically (and this might be better in the speculative ideas section I guess), if you'd won £50m on the lottery and wanted to get it sorted, where would you start? Could you still get all the bits that have been taken over the years, would you just dismantle the thing, refurbish what you could, replace the rusty metal with new, could you realistically get it mainline re-certified or at best are you looking at a trundle up and down a preserved line. I guess the first issue would be finding somewhere to work on a beast that size......
If we're talking hypotheticals, assuming someone did have money to burn and was determined to restore 45015 to a state where it could be mainline certified, how much of the original loco would actually be left?

Cowley

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Global Moderator

I should think you could get anything repaired for the right amount of money, but I don’t reckon there’d be much of the original locomotive left. Especially where it comes to the electrical side of things.

edit - @gg1 beat me to it!

Status
Not open for further replies.