• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4O05, 07:15 Birch Coppice Freightliner to Southampton M.C.T derailed at Eastleigh (28/01)

Status
Not open for further replies.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Weymouth one an hour via Fareham (xx05 down, xx20 up), the other one cancelled.
Pompey via Eastleigh cancelled.
Poole semi-fast runs Poole - Southampton only.
Winchester - Basing shuttle all day.
Winchester - Southampton buses.
Thanks for that.

Not an easy thing to deal with I can imagine. If all the stock can't get to the Northam depot, where does it get stored in the interim? At stations or sidings?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Nicholas Lewis

Established Member
Everything seen on photos etc (and I am sure people are working very long hours to recover the service - and plan ahead for the damage restoration) , to me indicates this is not something that will be sorted out overnight as there is significant track damage and no doubt all sorts of signalling and power supply issues with the con rail. An awful lot more than a pair of wheels dropped off in a siding - alas....

(not to mention the stock impacts and access -or not - to Northam Depot)
Maybe not on the down lines but Up looks undamaged so they ought to make the effort to run the Up services in morning rush for a few hours. Physical access can be maintained from Botley lines and the ballast yard.

Edit: Looking at RTT there has been some Up services via Eastleigh with a XC 1M78 just passed

Last edited:

pompeyfan

Established Member
Maybe not on the down lines but Up looks undamaged so they ought to make the effort to run the Up services in morning rush for a few hours. Physical access can be maintained from Botley lines and the ballast yard.

with respect, I’d imagine the decision to stop the job wasn’t taken likely. If they could have kept the up road open whilst ensuring safety and reasonable practicality, they would have. They don’t just shut railways for banter.

Edders23

I assume this happened at fairly low speed so surely the damage would be over a relatively short stretch of track which means maybe they can get most of it reopened in 24 hours once the derailed train is removed albeit not completely

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
I assume this happened at fairly low speed so surely the damage would be over a relatively short stretch of track which means maybe they can get most of it reopened in 24 hours once the derailed train is removed albeit not completely
It’s relatively short but it may well be non standard point work that’s damaged.

On a separate issue, can XC get to their depot via Fareham and the Botley line, with a shunt via the south curve entrance? If not they could be a bit stuck for overnight stabling and maintenance...

pdeaves

Established Member
What happens in terms of compensation? Obviously passengers will have delay repay and I expect SWR will allow flexibility on when advance tickets can be used etc. But on a higher level, presumably SWR will receive some compensation... from...? From NR, who then reclaim it (along with costs?) from the freight company? Or do SWR claim directly from the freight company? And presumably NR will reclaim costs for repairs to the p-way from the freight company?
VERY simplistically, there are people within the companies that apportion responsibility within agreed rules (so giving, hopefully, one interpretation). The companies then pay or claim accordingly.
There are processes to challenge, raise disputes, etc.

Dieseldriver

What happens in terms of compensation? Obviously passengers will have delay repay and I expect SWR will allow flexibility on when advance tickets can be used etc. But on a higher level, presumably SWR will receive some compensation... from...? From NR, who then reclaim it (along with costs?) from the freight company? Or do SWR claim directly from the freight company? And presumably NR will reclaim costs for repairs to the p-way from the freight company?
Interesting how you've seemingly already decided that the freight company is to blame for this...

pompeyfan

Established Member
It’s relatively short but it may well be non standard point work that’s damaged.

On a separate issue, can XC get to their depot via Fareham and the Botley line, with a shunt via the south curve entrance? If not they could be a bit stuck for overnight stabling and maintenance...

very good point. They won’t be affected by the BTET but I don’t know how close they’ll be able to get to South Junction. Is there anywhere else that can provide emergency assistance? Branksome, Fratton or Millbrook with pilots? Will they outbirth?

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
very good point. They won’t be affected by the BTET but I don’t know how close they’ll be able to get to South Junction. Is there anywhere else that can provide emergency assistance? Branksome, Fratton or Millbrook with pilots? Will they outbirth?
I’d expect the big issue would be CET and refuelling if needed? Otherwise I’d have thought leave a few at Bournemouth Middle Sidings?

There’s nothing on NRES about them being affected tomorrow yet, but the TRSMD exit is pretty busy with XC ECS heading in all directions from about 0500 onwards, is it 7 or 8 overnight now? I can’t see it being easy to send them all south towards Fareham. Perhaps RTT will show any changes in a few hours time...

pompeyfan

Established Member
I’d expect the big issue would be CET and refuelling if needed? Otherwise I’d have thought leave a few at Bournemouth Middle Sidings?

There’s nothing on NRES about them being affected tomorrow yet, but the TRSMD exit is pretty busy with XC ECS heading in all directions from about 0500 onwards, is it 7 or 8 overnight now? I can’t see it being easy to send them all south towards Fareham. Perhaps RTT will show any changes in a few hours time...

even if they can get into the depot using south junction, a lot of the inbound workings are 10 car which rules out shunting at Fareham, the capacity via the Netley road couldn’t take 8 extra trains plus the diverted 1Wxx. If they can get into and out of South Junction, I’d assume empty to reading then try and drop onto their boiled diagrams.

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
even if they can get into the depot using south junction, a lot of the inbound workings are 10 car which rules out shunting at Fareham, the capacity via the Netley road couldn’t take 8 extra trains plus the diverted 1Wxx. If they can get into and out of South Junction, I’d assume empty to reading then try and drop onto their boiled diagrams.

Yes but the Netley road could take some of the extra XC moves and slightly less of the diverted 1Wxx, SWR won’t necessarily get priority with their 1Wxx.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Equally a single unit might be able to reverse out of the TMRSD but not a double. Some of the morning moves are doubled as well, eg the Guildford train spilts from a Southampton in Eastleigh usually. It could all get a bit messy. That’s without wondering if all drivers are current on the Netley route...

Matt Taylor

Established Member
I suspect after what I saw and heard after speaking with the p-way crew on site I highly doubt Freightliner will be paying out a single penny. NR will be footing the bill for this one.

Finally after all these years I can put a face to name, I can't believe it's taken me this long to work out who you are!

Snow1964

Established Member
Line still blocked, train service altered all today

The following alterations to service will apply today:

- The XX:05 services from London Waterloo to Weymouth and the XX:20 Weymouth to London Waterloo will be cancelled.

- The XX:35 services from London Waterloo to Weymouth and the XX:03 Weymouth to Waterloo will be diverted via Fareham. This is likely to add 60 minutes on to your journey.

- The XX:50 Poole to London Waterloo services, will end their journeys at Southampton Central. The XX:39 London Waterloo to Poole services will start their journeys at Southampton Central instead of London Waterloo.

- The XX:09 London Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour via Basingstoke and the XX:59 Portsmouth Harbour to Waterloo via Basingstoke services will be cancelled.

Further information
A shuttle service will run between Winchester and Basingstoke, also calling at Micheldever. Shawford will not be served. Ticket acceptance has been arranged with the following train operators:

- Great Western Railway between Portsmouth / Salisbury and Basingstoke to Reading / London Paddington

- Southern Rail between Southampton Central and Clapham Junction

- Cross Country between Bournemouth and Basingstoke.

We have also arranged replacement buses at Southampton Central, Fareham, Basingstoke, Winchester, Southampton Airport Parkway, Eastleigh and Andover.

EDIT
Unrelated but line also closed at Hounslow

Bigfoot

Track has spread so much under the train that it is proving very hard to re rail, so far very little has been achieved.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Unusual stock usage today. The 6:40 Hilsea to Waterloo via Haslemere is made up of a 10 car 444. Usually its a 12 car 450. I can remember the last time, if ever, I caught this train and it was 444s. I assume this is due to stock displacement from the derailment. I bet the passengers loved that

The train arrived into Woking on time. I assume that was due to less trains running through Woking.

I was expecting the train to be more busy than it was. Perhaps less people travel on Wednesdays.

RichT54

Yesterday, a freight train derailed at Eastleigh. Engineers have been working overnight and will continue throughout the day to remove the train and fix the railway infrastructure. Images of the derailed train can be viewed [below]

Whilst work continues, trains will be subject to delays of up to 60 minutes, cancellations and alterations.

We anticipate disruption will continue until the end of service today.

https://www.nationalrail.co.uk/service_disruptions/241296.aspx

Eastleigh.jfif

Eastleigh2.jfif

pompeyfan

Established Member
Looks like XC have managed some sort of access overnight, so they must have been using South junction. Bet that section of track hasn’t seen this much use in several years!

PTR 444

Established Member
Line still blocked, train service altered all today

The following alterations to service will apply today:

- The XX:05 services from London Waterloo to Weymouth and the XX:20 Weymouth to London Waterloo will be cancelled.

- The XX:35 services from London Waterloo to Weymouth and the XX:03 Weymouth to Waterloo will be diverted via Fareham. This is likely to add 60 minutes on to your journey.

- The XX:50 Poole to London Waterloo services, will end their journeys at Southampton Central. The XX:39 London Waterloo to Poole services will start their journeys at Southampton Central instead of London Waterloo.

- The XX:09 London Waterloo to Portsmouth Harbour via Basingstoke and the XX:59 Portsmouth Harbour to Waterloo via Basingstoke services will be cancelled.

Further information
A shuttle service will run between Winchester and Basingstoke, also calling at Micheldever. Shawford will not be served. Ticket acceptance has been arranged with the following train operators:

- Great Western Railway between Portsmouth / Salisbury and Basingstoke to Reading / London Paddington

- Southern Rail between Southampton Central and Clapham Junction

- Cross Country between Bournemouth and Basingstoke.

We have also arranged replacement buses at Southampton Central, Fareham, Basingstoke, Winchester, Southampton Airport Parkway, Eastleigh and Andover.

EDIT
Unrelated but line also closed at Hounslow

What’s the plan for XC and the Romsey 6 service? I’m assuming the line is blocked at Eastleigh so they would have to be diverted/terminated short.

pompeyfan

Established Member
What’s the plan for XC and the Romsey 6 service? I’m assuming the line is blocked at Eastleigh so they would have to be diverted/terminated short.

XC via Laverstock, Romsey rockets are just Salisbury - Southampton with a bus Southampton - Romsey

kristiang85

Established Member
Unusual stock usage today. The 6:40 Hilsea to Waterloo via Haslemere is made up of a 10 car 444. Usually its a 12 car 450. I can remember the last time, if ever, I caught this train and it was 444s. I assume this is due to stock displacement from the derailment. I bet the passengers loved that

The train arrived into Woking on time. I assume that was due to less trains running through Woking.

I was expecting the train to be more busy than it was. Perhaps less people travel on Wednesdays.

To be honest I think the 10 car 444 has more seating than a 12 car 450 (especially as the middle seats never really get used in the 3-seat configs).

Usually I work from home on Wednesdays to split the commuting week up, so maybe others do the same. But I think most people have made other arrangements today given it was pretty obvious yesterday there would be disruption. I'm going in today, and even though my usual train was cancelled and others too, it still seems pretty civilised.

pdeaves

Established Member
Was this a track defect or a bogie defect causing the derailment?
It's probable that no one knows properly at this stage. Even if they did, it may be ill-advised to publicise it yet until all relevant parties are happy. After all, there may be joint responsibility somewhere that needs to be apportioned satisfactorily.

DelW

Established Member
Was this a track defect or a bogie defect causing the derailment?

It's probable that no one knows properly at this stage. Even if they did, it may be ill-advised to publicise it yet until all relevant parties are happy. After all, there may be joint responsibility somewhere that needs to be apportioned satisfactorily.
However, see also post 57 above for a report from the site ;)

Dieseldriver

Interesting to note the lack of images being released by Network Rail of the facing points that the train was traversing leading from the down slow to the down fast.

pdeaves

Established Member
However, see also post 57 above for a report from the site ;)
True, but I don't suppose 'what some bloke on the P-Way team said' is necessarily the official reason. At the point the comment was made the derailed vehicles hadn't been moved: can they be sure there wasn't, say, a small piece broken from a wheel? And if so, was it cause or effect?

HamworthyGoods

Established Member
To be honest I think the 10 car 444 has more seating than a 12 car 450 (especially as the middle seats never really get used in the 3-seat configs)

Travel on any high peak Portsmouth line service and you will see the middle seat being used on the 450s in the same way as the middle seat was used on the 423s before them.

Monty

Established Member
True, but I don't suppose 'what some bloke on the P-Way team said' is necessarily the official reason. At the point the comment was made the derailed vehicles hadn't been moved: can they be sure there wasn't, say, a small piece broken from a wheel? And if so, was it cause or effect?

I really can't say much more, as the incident is now probably being investigated. But I'm confident enough to stand by my original post.

Status
Not open for further replies.