• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4O05, 07:15 Birch Coppice Freightliner to Southampton M.C.T derailed at Eastleigh (28/01)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave W

By the looks of things, XC are sending trains from Basingstoke down through Andover and Romsey (is this a normal diversion during engineering?), and SWR have just sent 1T41 (a Portsmouth Harbour train) as far as Winchester, where it's terminated.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
By the looks of things, XC are sending trains from Basingstoke down through Andover and Romsey (is this a normal diversion during engineering?), and SWR have just sent 1T41 (a Portsmouth Harbour train) as far as Winchester, where it's terminated.
XC via Laverstock curve (avoiding Salisbury) with a reversal at Southampton is a fairly normal diversion, yes. It’s possible with it taking longer, and with trains out of position, that some Bournemouth bound services will terminate at Southampton.

pompeyfan

Established Member

evening peak might see alterations with 2Lxx services extended to Winchester calling at Micheldever and 1L Salisbury services calling additionally at Farnborough and Fleet.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
XC via Laverstock curve (avoiding Salisbury) with a reversal at Southampton is a fairly normal diversion, yes. It’s possible with it taking longer, and with trains out of position, that some Bournemouth bound services will terminate at Southampton.

Good job that W10) clearance was obtained via Laverstoke , as well as via Soton Tunnel.......(going to be busy that route with the sound of things)

infobleep

Veteran Member
This is causing issues at Woking. A Portsmouth to Waterloo train left Worpolesdon on time at 16:07 but as of 16:31 it hadn't reached Woking. I wonder if platforms are being blocked. I've not checked in more detail as I don't have time right now.

Monty

Established Member
This is causing issues at Woking. A Portsmouth to Waterloo train left Worpolesdon on time at 16:07 but as of 16:31 it hadn't reached Woking. I wonder if platforms are being blocked. I've not checked in more detail as I don't have time right now.

Looking at Traksy platform 4 is blocked and 2T45 is on platform 5 awaiting crew.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200128_163753_com.android.chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200128_163753_com.android.chrome.jpg
    195 KB · Views: 145

4COR

Signalling fault according to SWR twitter. Never rains....

infobleep

Veteran Member
Looking at Traksy platform 4 is blocked and 2T45 is on platform 5 awaiting crew.
I checked Twitter and it is a separate signalling issue at Woking, that according to one Twitter user, ReganAtk, has been going on for 2-3 hours and South Western Railway haven't been reporting it. That seems a long time not to report something like this. No idea if the time period is correct. Either way it won't be helping, what with the issues at Eastleigh.

@SW_Help Why are you not mentioning the down fast line being blocked at Woking as it has been for the past 2/3 hours??
https://twitter.com/ReganAtk/status/1222193553457188864?s=19

pompeyfan

Established Member
Latest I’ve seen is job stop for 18 hours from close of play, block needed on all 4 lines. Ouch!

Monty

Established Member
...and that's just to rerail the wagons. Will take many more days to fix the rest I should think!

That's what I was thinking, the track layout looks pretty bespoke and I imagine it will take a day or two build replacement turnouts. Probably won't get properly sorted until the weekend.

infobleep

Veteran Member
Signalling fault according to SWR twitter. Never rains....

I checked Twitter and it is a separate signalling issue at Woking, that according to one Twitter user, ReganAtk, has been going on for 2-3 hours and South Western Railway haven't been reporting it. That seems a long time not to report something like this. No idea if the time period is correct. Either way it won't be helping, what with the issues at Eastleigh.

https://twitter.com/ReganAtk/status/1222193553457188864?s=19

Perhaps they are too run off thier feet to be able to report them all.

Is this a code black or not wide ranging enough for that?

infobleep

Veteran Member

This is to an extent also affecting the surbuban services. For example the 17:06 Waterloo to Hampton Court was cancelled because of the derailment. The 17:32 Woking to Waterloo is 27 minutes late because of the derailment. I'm assuming the derailed train affected those, as is being reported on the live departure boards online.

As these trains also form services on other lines those too will be affected.

As I passed through Wimbledon just now there was a 19 minute delayed train to Guildford via Cobham. That didn't have a reason so unless there is something else, liable to be the issues at Woking and Eastleigh.

AmericanRich

Even if that is the case, it's rather an important junction.

Currently on 1839 to fareham diverted to call Havant only. Not sure why it wouldn't call at the other PDL stations, given 1830 comes from Weymouth and 1900 cancelled, but I'm just a passenger so I'm sure none of my ideas are sensible.

Shocking lack of comms at Waterloo as well, but one expects that really.

infobleep

Veteran Member
The SPAD & signalling fault at Woking referred to in the posts I quoted are...
Anyway platform 4 has reopened at least.

At what point should South Western Railway tell passengers there will be disruption tomorrow though Eastleigh or are they hopefully it will be resolved before then?

I'm not doubting those on here who say it won't be back tomorrow though so I'm expecting it to be disrupted.

ChiefPlanner

Established Member
Anyway platform 4 has reopened at least.

At what point should South Western Railway tell passengers there will be disruption tomorrow though Eastleigh or are they hopefully it will be resolved before then?

I'm not doubting those on here who say it won't be back tomorrow though so I'm expecting it to be disrupted.

Everything seen on photos etc (and I am sure people are working very long hours to recover the service - and plan ahead for the damage restoration) , to me indicates this is not something that will be sorted out overnight as there is significant track damage and no doubt all sorts of signalling and power supply issues with the con rail. An awful lot more than a pair of wheels dropped off in a siding - alas....

(not to mention the stock impacts and access -or not - to Northam Depot)

Wychwood93

Everything seen on photos etc (and I am sure people are working very long hours to recover the service - and plan ahead for the damage restoration) , to me indicates this is not something that will be sorted out overnight as there is significant track damage and no doubt all sorts of signalling and power supply issues with the con rail. An awful lot more than a pair of wheels dropped off in a siding - alas....

(not to mention the stock impacts and access -or not - to Northam Depot)
Access to Northam will be, shall we say, compromised. Anything on the down that gets through, diverted or not, will be able to return to Northam. A good chance that up services in the morning will be alright. The early down services - e.g the 2W05 0540 Basingstoke/Weymouth - are another issue. A lot of work to be done to resolve stock to start with! Then there is the issue of whether the road through Eastleigh will be available on the down. I do not envy the guys and gals dealing with all this.

antharro

What happens in terms of compensation? Obviously passengers will have delay repay and I expect SWR will allow flexibility on when advance tickets can be used etc. But on a higher level, presumably SWR will receive some compensation... from...? From NR, who then reclaim it (along with costs?) from the freight company? Or do SWR claim directly from the freight company? And presumably NR will reclaim costs for repairs to the p-way from the freight company?

Monty

Established Member
What happens in terms of compensation? Obviously passengers will have delay repay and I expect SWR will allow flexibility on when advance tickets can be used etc. But on a higher level, presumably SWR will receive some compensation... from...? From NR, who then reclaim it (along with costs?) from the freight company? Or do SWR claim directly from the freight company? And presumably NR will reclaim costs for repairs to the p-way from the freight company?

I suspect after what I saw and heard after speaking with the p-way crew on site I highly doubt Freightliner will be paying out a single penny. NR will be footing the bill for this one.

pompeyfan

Established Member
Call it ‘interesting’ but it seems that some freight is being sent Reading - Guildford - Havant - Southampton. Probably got some suspect looks from the unsuspecting.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator

Weymouth one an hour via Fareham (xx05 down, xx20 up), the other one cancelled.
Pompey via Eastleigh cancelled.
Poole semi-fast runs Poole - Southampton only.
Winchester - Basing shuttle all day.
Winchester - Southampton buses.

swt_passenger

Veteran Member
Weymouth one an hour via Fareham (xx05 down, xx20 up), the other one cancelled.
Pompey via Eastleigh cancelled.
Poole semi-fast runs Poole - Southampton only.
Winchester - Basing shuttle all day.
Winchester - Southampton buses.
Is it still correct that there’s a “via Fareham” path available most hours of the day in the normal weekday timetable?

Status
Not open for further replies.