• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

4S99 - train can't limbo either

Status
Not open for further replies.

mcmad

Reports elsewhere that 4S99 GBRf Carlisle NY-Inverness has been stopped North of Perth since around 10:30 this morning due to out of gauge containers striking at least 3 overbridges

Single line working has been introduced to allow some movements between Perth and Inverness but no plan as yet as to how to remove the train.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
That's rather... unexpected.

High Cube containers on standard flats rather than the lower flats?

randyrippley

Established Member
looks surprisingly undamaged - must be really soft stone, that debris looks like sand

I wonder if they've inadvertently discovered life expired rotten masonry on the overbridges?

Coupling

Looks like the relevant RT3973CON forms for the route only permit up to 8ft 6in ISO containers on the shown FYA wagon. The green container is 9ft 6in.

I’m guessing that what usually happens is that cubes with the container code 22G1 (8ft 6in height) are regularly loaded on to this service, and so this one with container code 25G1 (9ft 6in) has slipped through.

GB

Established Member
20 odd bridges needed inspecting but only light superficial damage found.

MadMac

That's rather... unexpected.

High Cube containers on standard flats rather than the lower flats?
That’s apparently what happened. Two 9’6” containers loaded on “regular” wagons when there there were three empties with the lower wells at the back of the train. Several people getting invited for tea minus biscuits, methinks.

Grumpy Git

On Moderation
That’s apparently what happened. Two 9’6” containers loaded on “regular” wagons when there there were three empties with the lower wells at the back of the train. Several people getting invited for tea minus biscuits, methinks.

….. but they stand-out like a sore thumb. It only needs a cursory glance along the top profile of the train!

fgwrich

Established Member
It worked ok on that canopy at Basingstoke. Would probably have looked neater with a sharper container though… :D
Yeeeeees, ironically did a neater job at trimming the canopy back than NR did at cutting the platform edge back. :E

I have to admit, after reading this thread I looked at the Infrastructure forum and thought one of the threads was "Stations with a Masonry assisted despatch". It's been a long day.

Last edited:

A road crane has been brought in to remove the out of gauge containers with single line working in place to allow ScotRail services to resume.

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1656624927238.jpg
    FB_IMG_1656624927238.jpg
    98.2 KB · Views: 767
Last edited:

MotCO

Established Member
But how do you move this train without clipping more bridges, either back the same way or going forward?

Edit:the answer was given as I was typing!

marks87

Established Member
A road crane has been brought in to remove to out of gauge containers with single line working in place to allow ScotRail services to resume.
That's a great photo. It's like the trees have gone "yoink, I'll have that".

furnessvale

Established Member
you would be supprised, 10 ft high cubes also exist
Fortunately for the UK, double stacked 10ft high boxes are a step too high, even for US railroads, or our freight industry would be in serious trouble.

Welly

The top corners of the 9ft 6in high containers always have wasp stripes as a visual aid to sighting them.

GB

Established Member
The top corners of the 9ft 6in high containers always have wasp stripes as a visual aid to sighting them.

Replace "always" with "should". I've seen plenty in my time that have had them worn away. It's also not unheard of to have a container loaded to a train after the train preparer has walked it. That said it should really have been spotted on the roll by as a last resort.

furnessvale

Established Member
i think you may be mistaken, i was Talking about 10ft long not 10ft tall
Fair enough, but I was also making the point that the only thing stopping 10ft HIGH containers becoming widespread is the fact that doublestacked, they would exceed the possibilities of even the US loading gauge. Even single stacked they would cause major problems for UK railways.

Lockwood

Is this the chance to make usual the "professional driver should know the size of their vehicle; throw the book at them, followed by the bookshelf and the library brick by brick; shouldn't be allowed to drive a wheelbarrow after this" comments following a bridge strike?

(please don't hurt me)

GB

Established Member
Is this the chance to make usual the "professional driver should know the size of their vehicle; throw the book at them, followed by the bookshelf and the library brick by brick; shouldn't be allowed to drive a wheelbarrow after this" comments following a bridge strike?

(please don't hurt me)

Without seeing the tops list that was given to the driver it's impossible to say.

randyrippley

Established Member
Presumably after this train has knocked the bridges into shape, the next oversize train will be clear of obstructions.
Seems a cheap way to resolve loading gauge restrictions

Sonik

(please don't hurt me)
We used to have loading gauges.

A CCTV based equivalent system at the exit from intermodal yards would make a lot of sense. The technology is trivial these days but of course the railway is slow to adopt.

Dieseldriver

(please don't hurt me)
I will say that freight operations on the railway are a little different to freight operations on the roads so I don’t echo the sentiment regarding the Driver specifically.
However, with incidents like this in general, I am always frustrated at the attitudes displayed when a lorry strikes a railway bridge and firmly believe more effort should be made into investigating all the factors involved rather than just trying to shame and belittle the Lorry Driver (who will in all probability be mortified and suffering a massive dent in their professional pride).

Status
Not open for further replies.