• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

5 1/2 day working week - when did extra peak trains on Saturday stop?

Status
Not open for further replies.

nw1

Established Member
Talking about Saturday working - I used to go to school on Saturdays in the 1970s!

Up to 9 it was normal Monday to Friday. 9 to 12 up to 12:15 on Saturdays, over 13 to 18 to 16:30!

Before I left they were giving us one Saturday off each half term.

Saturday school was finally only abandoned in the 1980s several years after I left, presumably because they had staffing issues?

One upside of Saturday School though was longer main holidays typically 8 weeks in summer and 3 for Christmas and Easter.

John

Sounds grim, 6 full days of school for 13-18 year olds. When were you supposed to actually enjoy yourself?

Thankfully that kind of nonsense seemed to have been generally abandoned by the 1980s.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

John Luxton

Established Member
Sounds grim, 6 full days of school for 13-18 year olds. When were you supposed to actually enjoy yourself?

Thankfully that kind of nonsense seemed to have been generally abandoned by the 1980s.
The thing was we did get longer holidays as compensation.

There were a fair number of boarders back then and obviously for them the longer holidays were a better deal than normal weekends.

Boarding declined and I am certain there were staff recruitment issues as well.

There was one really bad week of the year and that was Remembrance Week in November.

Unless one was a "conchie" and had joined the Social Services option we had to be in School on Remembrance Sunday for CCF Church parade as well in the senior school thus early November we would have to be at school continuously from Monday through the next weekend to the following Saturday.

Taunton

Established Member

There was a widespread perception that, until adult, you had to be organised. Interestingly, trainspotting was a very early "activity" to arise where you didn't have something organised for you. It was significantly opposed by some of the more formalised "organisations", like Scouts, who felt they had to take charge of anything.

Some of our peers actually contributed to this, particularly those into organised games, who seemed absolutely at a loose end and lost when left to their own devices. I was struck by this on a university (supposedly adult then) field trip to Paris * , which went over a weekend when we were "free". A number of them just had no idea, and in the end they went across the city just because there was a field, nothing formal, where they seemingly kicked a football around.

Like some others above, we had Saturday morning school. Saturday afternoon was "Voluntary games", distinct from Wednesday afternoon when it was "Compulsory games". So they only had Sunday. But that was organised too for many, church, and being looked down on by grandparents if you didn't go, took up at least the morning. Sunday afternoon? That "extra weekend homework", given out as you had nothing else to do, all checked first thing Monday morning.

* : Best study trip ever, crept into some past threads. I hammered my Travelcard-equivalent, did Notre Dame, the Louvre, Charles de Gaulle airport (brand new, opened that year, reached on a rattly old RATP city bus, which banged up the Autoroute from the east end of Metro Line 3 at speeds it had probably never done before), the early RER, looked up last year's French exchange student :) , etc. Others did none of this.

Last edited:

WesternLancer

Established Member
The thing was we did get longer holidays as compensation.

There were a fair number of boarders back then and obviously for them the longer holidays were a better deal than normal weekends.

Boarding declined and I am certain there were staff recruitment issues as well.

There was one really bad week of the year and that was Remembrance Week in November.

Unless one was a "conchie" and had joined the Social Services option we had to be in School on Remembrance Sunday for CCF Church parade as well in the senior school thus early November we would have to be at school continuously from Monday through the next weekend to the following Saturday.
Good observation John, this was pattern for me too at my (private) school until 1985. I left then, no idea how long after they carried on that sort of thing. Saturday mornings, but as you say longer holidays too. I think private schools still have longer hols than state schools locally but not sure if they do the Saturday mornings too.

As I travelled to school by train each day I guess I got better value out of the season ticket from 6 days use! But it was a nuisance as it interrupted the ability to have a whole day for family stuff on the saturday.

There was a widespread perception that, until adult, you had to be organised. Interestingly, trainspotting was a very early "activity" to arise where you didn't have something organised for you.

Some of our peers actually contributed to this, particularly those into organised games, who seemed absolutely at a loose end and lost when left to their own devices. I was struck by this on a university (supposedly adult then) field trip to Paris * , which went over a weekend when we were "free". A number of them just had no idea, and in the end they went across the city just because there was a field, nothing formal, where they seemingly kicked a football around.

Like some others above, we had Saturday morning school. Saturday afternoon was "Voluntary games", distinct from Wednesday afternoon when it was "Compulsory games". So they only had Sunday. But that was organised too for many, church, and being looked down on by grandparents if you didn't go, took up at least the morning.

* : Best study trip ever, crept into some past threads. I hammered my Travelcard-equivalent, did Notre Dame, the Louvre, Charles de Gaulle airport (brand new, opened that year), the early RER, looked up last year's French exchange student :) , etc. Others did none of this.
Good point Taunton - spotting def teaches you how to get to places, make use of time, find out things - as the network and timetables teach you how to 'organise yourself' to pursue the hobby.

Last edited:

John Luxton

Established Member
Good observation John, this was pattern for me too at my (private) school until 1985. I left then, no idea how long after they carried on that sort of thing. Saturday mornings, but as you say longer holidays too. I think private schools still have longer hols than state schools locally but not sure if they do the Saturday mornings too.
My old school converted from being a public (Private) school to Academy Status a few years ago.

However, they have kept many of their traditions and though Saturdays were dropped shortly after I left, they still tend to have longer holidays in summer, than local state schools and other academies. CCF continues with the annual Remembrance Day parade and those involved in School teams are expected to attend on Saturdays for fixtures, but I don't think they happen very often and it is very much up to the pupil if they want to be involved in such teams. Thus I presume don't get involved if you don't want Saturdays.

They have also reintroduced boarding - but that is only available to paying pupils.

it is quite strange how I ended up going to an independent school.

Basically my father who was a newsagent supplied the common rooms with newspapers.

When the headmaster came in to pay the bill he persuaded my father to send me there as my father had been talking to him about the LEA decision in the mid 60s to convert all their schools to comprehensives.

Asking for time off on a Saturday was difficult.

Back in May 1971 I spotted a railtour to Haywards Heath for the Bluebell. I was only 11 a the time and had wanted to visit but it was never practical for a day trip by car. I persuaded my father to take me and ask the school if I could have Saturday morning off. At that age it was Saturday mornings only.

The date coincided with the FA Cup final which didn't help, at first they thought it was a cover to go there - but the senior master in charge of the Lower School, after questioning me about it, begrudgingly let me have the day off to go as he knew I wasn't really into sport but very interested in railways.

Soccer was frowned on at school as the school sports were Rugby / Hockey / Tennis / Cricket or Cross Country!

He made a point of asking about the trip on the Monday just to make sure I had been to the railway and not the football.

It was a satisfying experience whizzing past the school outward bound on the rail tour that Saturday morning.

Never been back to the Bluebell since - however, it is on my agenda to visit!

WesternLancer

Established Member
My old school converted from being a public (Private) school to Academy Status a few years ago.

However, they have kept many of their traditions and though Saturdays were dropped shortly after I left, they still tend to have longer holidays in summer, than local state schools and other academies. CCF continues with the annual Remembrance Day parade and those involved in School teams are expected to attend on Saturdays for fixtures, but I don't think they happen very often and it is very much up to the pupil if they want to be involved in such teams. Thus I presume don't get involved if you don't want Saturdays.

They have also reintroduced boarding - but that is only available to paying pupils.

Basically my father who was a newsagent supplied the common rooms with newspapers.

When the headmaster came in to pay the bill he persuaded my father to send me there as my father had been talking to him about the LEA decision in the mid 60s to convert all their schools to comprehensives.

Back in May 1971 I spotted a railtour to Haywards Heath for the Bluebell. I was only 11 a the time and had wanted to visit but it was never practical for a day trip by car. I persuaded my father to take me and ask the school if I could have Saturday morning off. At that age it was Saturday mornings only.

The date coincided with the FA Cup final which didn't help, at first they thought it was a cover to go there - but the senior master in charge of the Lower School, after questioning me about it, begrudgingly let me have the day off to go as he knew I wasn't really into sport but very interested in railways.

Soccer was frowned on at school as the school sports were Rugby / Hockey / Tennis / Cricket or Cross Country!

He made a point of asking about the trip on the Monday just to make sure I had been to the railway and not the football.

It was a satisfying experience whizzing past the school outward bound on the rail tour that Saturday morning.

Never been back to the Bluebell since - however, it is on my agenda to visit!
Thanks for posting that John - interesting to read! You must certainly go to the Bluebell again - once my 'local' preserved line and superb in my view - I have enjoyed visits since the 1970s. Would be interesting to read how you think it compares with 1971 after you go. I am sure you would enjoy it.
All good wishes.

nw1

Established Member

Cross-country... that was always my favoured option for games. Got out of rugby as soon as I could! ;) On the other hand, I enjoyed cross-country all the way through to the last days in the sixth-form. Happily, while originally only an option for 'seniors', my time at the school co-incided with it becoming an option for 12-year olds.

John Luxton

Established Member
Cross-country... that was always my favoured option for games. Got out of rugby as soon as I could! ;) On the other hand, I enjoyed cross-country all the way through to the last days in the sixth-form. Happily, while originally only an option for 'seniors', my time at the school co-incided with it becoming an option for 12-year olds.
I did try cross country but always being well padded I wasn't built for speed thus just treated it as a walk in the park but it certainly beat rugby. Each winter there were would be the usual crop of broken arms and legs and the occaional neck brace after rugby matches. :D I am sure I frustrated some of the staff as they could obviously see I would have made a good rugby player - but I just didn't want to know!!!

However, in my sixth form years myself and the head of PE came to an understanding, if I volunteered to make refreshments in the pavilion for visiting teams, not only did I escape games that afternoon, I got to eat some of the refreshments and he gave me the next games afternoon off which was either a Wednesday or Saturday if there wasn't a visiting team. In my own way I made my contribution to the school's sporting endeavours but in a way that suited me!

Status
Not open for further replies.