• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

50 years of the A-Stock!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

tom1649

There's a photo of the refurbished 1967 Stock on this page, I don't think we've had this one.

Scroll down to see the carriages.

http://www.trainweb.org/tubeprune/67 TS Refurb Photos.htm

Same as the Bakerloo Line 1972 mk2 stock refurbishment, except the Bakerloo Line has everything in brown instead of light blue. The Bakerloo line fleet has since had its armrests removed though.

Three trains of Northern Line 1972 mk1 stock were similarly refurbished with 'charcoal grey' grab rails and interior. I have a rare picture of one of those in a book somewhere. The refurbishment was stopped after three trains because of the decision to order a whole new fleet for the Northern Line.

The three refurbished 1972mk1 trains were transferred to the Bakerloo Line and all surface finishes were changed from dark grey to brown. The guard's panels were covered over too and the trains converted to OPO (One person operation). These are still in service today.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
For those who may be chasing the pioneer unit 5000, it's been heavily active this week paired with 5062.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
5004 + 5156 made their final journey today ( 25th ) under their own power from Neasden to Northwood siding.:(

trentside

Established Member
At least 5004 saw it's 50th anniversary in service! Sad to hear another A Stock is gone. :(

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It has been reported elsewhere that car 5157 and a trailer were already at Eastleigh by lunchtime today - less than 24 hours after they were still moving on the Met!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Monday 1st August: 5048 + 5204 made the one way trip from Neasden to Northwood today...:(

Last edited:

Aictos

Established Member
I don't know if I'm lucky or unlucky but every time since they've been withdrawing them that I've used the Met, it's always been a A60/A62 stock and never the newer S Stock.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
There are still only 5 or 6 daily diagrams for S stock so you'd have to be rather unlucky to just drop onto one...

Having said that, there was one S on the Amersham fasts the other day; first time I've seen that happen. As they are working through to Aldgate as well they can now turn up on any diagram rather than just the previous dedicated pair of diagrams.

Dstock7080

Established Member
With the new WTT as from Monday, they should now be on 8 dedicated workings Mon-Fri (not daily).

Aictos

Established Member
There are still only 5 or 6 daily diagrams for S stock so you'd have to be rather unlucky to just drop onto one...

Having said that, there was one S on the Amersham fasts the other day; first time I've seen that happen. As they are working through to Aldgate as well they can now turn up on any diagram rather than just the previous dedicated pair of diagrams.

I just want to use one to see if it's better then the stock it's replacing - Does anyone have the diagrams which they're doing?

Daniel

Established Member
I can give you the train numbers but that's not much good unless you have a copy of the timetable WTT330?

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Ajax, just stand on the up platforms at Harrow on the Hill; you probably wouldn't have more than about ½ hour to wait to get one.

Having tried a few S stock I definitely prefer the A stock!

Seeing videos of the S stock, the interior seems to rattle a lot however I shall have to get down and try one for myself, but nothing shall be good as the A60 and A62 stock. Those comfy seats... I think the best refurb has to be this, then the 1972 and 1967 and also the 1973 stock.

Established Member
The three refurbished 1972mk1 trains were transferred to the Bakerloo Line and all surface finishes were changed from dark grey to brown.

Not quite - a few of the cars still have black ventilation controls instead of brown, and the side panelling next to the transverse seats has a white/black pattern instead of white/brown on all ex-Northern cars.

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
Three? Aren't there four? Units 3264, 3265, 3266 and 3267 plus the corresponding three car units 3464, 3465, 3466 and 3467?

Established Member
Well, 3264-3267 and 3564-3567 are all 72Mk1 units, but I believe only three were refurbished whilst on the Northern Line, with the fourth being refurbished after transferring to the Bakerloo. Don't quote me on that though!

tom1649

Not quite - a few of the cars still have black ventilation controls instead of brown, and the side panelling next to the transverse seats has a white/black pattern instead of white/brown on all ex-Northern cars.

Of course, you are quite right. I rode on one to Harrow and Wealdstone probably around 1999/2000 and noted the slight differences. I remember it because it was a particularly poor unit which kept jolting and cutting out during acceleration.

Mutant Lemming

Established Member
My memories of A stock were of pulling out of Finchley Road with a superfast Chesham (next stop Moor Park) and having one of the Marylebone diesels emerge from the tunnel for you to race to Neasden South Junction. In the pre Chiltern Turbo, pre 50 MPH limit we would (nearly) always win.
Elvis Costello composed a track entitled Lipstick Vogue while heading South to London from Ricky on an A60 and the underlying beat to the music actually reflects the feel of travelling on a Southbound fast.
With the demise of the last two handled stock on the underground imminent are there any plans to keep any and/or restore them to their original 1960's condition ?
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
Have heard that at least 5 cars are being retained (probably to form a new R.A.T.) and possibly another 4 to be kept as works/stores train for 10 years and then be handed over to the museum. The appears to be no likliehood of any being restored to original condition.

Metrailway

The problem for future preservation is that the LT Museum has run out of space. Thats why only a DM of 1967 Stock was preserved. I think LTM will definately preserve a DM and have the option to preserve 4 cars if they have space.

LUL will be using the whole stretch of the former City Widened Lines to Moorgate for stabling in the future. If there is enough space, hopefully LTM would be allowed to store some preserved stock there as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.