• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

50 years of the A-Stock!

Status
Not open for further replies.

NXEA!

I'm not sure if anyone else is aware, but today marks the 50th anniversary of the introduction of the well known A-Stock trains. Hopefully we have at least two more years of these lovely trains to enjoy before they're all withdrawn! Has anybody got any stories or memories on the A-Stock by any chance that they'd like to share? :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Metrailway

I've heard that they were designed in the late 30s by LT so they could replace the steam stock after electrification to Aylesbury by the late 40s. One pointer to this is that LT modified some T stock in the 40s as prototypes. Of course the war happened, and electification only went up to Amersham in the late 50s. However, the new A Stock introduced in 1961 had very little alterations to the 30s design, so the technology operating now is 70 odd years old! The A Stock even had spoked wheels until the 90s!

Last edited:

yorksrob

Veteran Member
Are there any interior pictures of what the A stock looked like before it was re-furbed ?

317 forever

Established Member
The longest-serving A class trains will have spent longer in service in London than even the final 1938-stock trains that were retained until 1988.

I am hoping to travel on examples of S class and 09-stock trains on the August Bank Holiday, potentially changing from one to the other at King's Cross, but am not sure whether enough S class trains are in service yet to make this feasible.

HST Power

Established Member
Before refurb: http://www.flickr.com/photos/andytakersdad/1217382972/

And for comparision, the refurb: http://www.flickr.com/photos/tigertim1950/4342660647/

The refurb was so well done that Met passengers thought that they were completely new units!

I think I'd have felt the same. One could be forgiven for thinking so, the difference is paramount.

The refurbished carriages look more bright and interesting. The seating also appears more comfortable, and I like the way that the refurbished units have windows next to the doors where you change carriages.

The purple and white styling is much more lively than the somewhat oppressive grey and red of the predecessors.

tom1649

I think I'd have felt the same. One could be forgiven for thinking so, the difference is paramount.

The refurbished carriages look more bright and interesting. The seating also appears more comfortable, and I like the way that the refurbished units have windows next to the doors where you change carriages.

The purple and white styling is much more lively than the somewhat oppressive grey and red of the predecessors.

They did a marvelous job of this refurbishment scheme. I think all the 1990s refurbishments made a positive difference to LUL rolling stock. The refurbishment of the Piccadilly Line 1973 stock was another which was particularly successful. Your average passenger wouldn't believe they were built 38 years ago.

It would have been interesting to see what the old Northern Line 1959 stock would have looked like had it received a heavy refurbishment like the A stock did.

HST Power

Established Member
The refurbishment of the Piccadilly Line 1973 stock was another which was particularly successful. Your average passenger wouldn't believe they were built 38 years ago.

The 1973 refurbishment was fantastic. The carriages look much more spacious. I'd like to see that seating arrangement incorporated into lots of other trains.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/56/LU1973ts-interior.jpg

Another classic example of how successful these programmes have been.

Yew

Established Member
A good refurb can make a train look a lot younger. I couldnt beleive EMT's 158's where 20-30 years old when i first found out. or the EC HST's

HST Power

Established Member
I'm going a little off topic, but I would like the 317 to get a refurbishment on FCC.

Returning to topic, I think the best Underground refurbishment I have seen would be the 1973 one from the Piccadily line (as I posted a photo of) by far.

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
I'd actually argue that the refurbishment of the C Stock is by far the best. Here are some pictures for comparison;

Before Refurb (Click)
Post Refurb (Click)

That's just my opinion, though the refurbishment is looking a little tired, it improved the travelling ambiance of the trains no end, as well as allowing more standees - very important on the Circle. I do think, however, that the 1973 stock refurbishment was excellent - it's got to last awhile yet!

jon0844

Veteran Member
My only complaint with the C Stock is the terrible ventilation that, combined with outdoor running, turns them into a greenhouse.

Otherwise they look fine and show how good a refurbishment can be.

Sent from my Sony Ericsson Xperia arc via Tapatalk.

HST Power

Established Member
Ventilation is a big Underground issue. The trains are commonly sweltering.

Now I've seen it, I think I'd have to lean towards the argument put forward by trentside. That is one truly outstanding refurb!

Though having said that, I prefer the more colorful styling on the 1973 stock. The interior on the C69 is a little bland and colorless. I particularly like the red arm rests on the 1973, and the mixture of blue and yellow polls. It makes the train seem a bit more interesting. A lot more, actually.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
The A60/A62ts are brilliant units, I say that as someone who uses them quite regular and I will miss them very much when there gone.

Although I'm not going to lie I like the new S stock I tried it the other day and it was much better than I expected. :)

HST Power

Established Member
T
Although I'm not going to lie I like the new S stock I tried it the other day and it was much better than I expected. :)

I'm about 70/30 with the S Stock.

I like the fact that they've been designed not to separate into individual cars. They were the first trains to run air-conditioned on the Underground, and despite the fact that there are less seats, the aisles are wider. The layout is quite good to.

Though what I don't like is the yellow and white styling. It's boring. Call me picky, but whilst it may be more spacious, it needs a bit of something extra like the 1973, mainly some color!

I never thought I'd become so interested in a debate on refurbishments.

SouthEastern-465

Established Member
I'm about 70/30 with the S Stock.

I like the fact that they've been designed not to separate into individual cars. They were the first trains to run air-conditioned on the Underground, and despite the fact that there are less seats, the aisles are wider. The layout is quite good to.

Though what I don't like is the yellow and white styling. It's boring. Call me picky, but whilst it may be more spacious, it needs a bit of something extra like the 1973, mainly some color!

I never thought I'd become so interested in a debate on refurbishments.

When your standing in the first carriage it does look weird looking back to the end of the train seeing its every movement, espicially around a curve!

With the C72 abd D78 stock, the rufurb was brilliant if I didn't know any better I'd of thought it was new, although you can tell its not by the exterior.

HST Power

Established Member
I believe that some of the subway systems in China have similar trains where everything is joined as one, or it could be Japan. I shall have to do some research on that one.

I'm going to maintain my view that the 1973 has had the best Underground refurbishment. Though the refurb on the D78 was very good in the sense that finally, anti-vandal paint was applied and CCTV was installed. The drivers cab also received air conditioning.

whhistle

On Moderation
Are they still colour colding the insides to show what colour line you are on?
IE: Metropolitian line has purple grab rails and such.

i can see why they would keep them all the same but it does reassure you that you're on the right train!

HST Power

Established Member
The refurbished 1973s have blue grab rails and work the Piccadily line. Now, according to my TFL map, the Piccadily line is colored blue, so you're correct. :)

Thank you whhistle, you taught me something new. :)

Now for the S Stock, which work the Metropolitan, District, Hammersmith & City, and Circle Lines. They have yellow grab rails. The same cannot be said then, as the Circle Line is yellow, Metropolitan purple, District is green and Hammersmith & City pink.

Unless London Underground supply different sets of S Stock to the lines in matching color, which I doubt.

Metrailway

The refurbished 1973s have blue grab rails and work the Piccadily line. Now, according to my TFL map, the Piccadily line is colored blue, so you're correct. :)

Thank you whhistle, you taught me something new. :)

Now for the S Stock, which work the Metropolitan, District, Hammersmith & City, and Circle Lines. They have yellow grab rails. The same cannot be said then, as the Circle Line is yellow, Metropolitan purple, District is green and Hammersmith & City pink.

Unless London Underground supply different sets of S Stock to the lines in matching color, which I doubt.

I believe yellow was chosen over Metropolitan purple etc for the S Stock was due to DDA. The 95 stock on the Northern and 96 stock on the Jubilee both have yellow handrails. The 09 stock on the Victoria has 'Piccadilly' dark blue handrails instead of the light blue colour of the Victoria line.

Also the moquette for the seats for ALL stocks will eventually become the same as LU want to standardise branding on all lines

trentside

Established Member
Fares Advisor
All the S Stock will have yellow grab rails and the same moquette. This provides the fleet with a uniform appearance. While the S8 Stock (with transverse seating) will be restricted to only operating on the Metropolitan, the S7 fleet (Circle / H&C and District) will be able to operate anywhere on the sub-surface lines, so restricting it by providing line specific interior styling makes little sense.

This is similar to the current situation with the C Stock. Although it has yellow grab rails, it carries no line branding externally and maps for the Circle, H&C and District (Edgware Rd) services. The S Stock offers the facility to display line names on the destination screens on the front and sides of the train.

I've yet to travel on an S Stock, so can't pass judgement.

Status
Not open for further replies.