• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

50007 sold to Boden Rail Engineering

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whistler40145

Established Member
Yesterday, I received a certain Railway magazine edited by Mr Dunn & was quite surprised to read that 50007 has been sold to Boden Rail Engineering.

Well, if it's true, it won't be in GWR Green for much longer or named "Sir Edward Elgar"!

Neil wishes to turn back the clock & rename her as "Hercules" & back into BR Blue & possibly put her back on the mainline.

What do you fellow Forum Members think?

I personally wasn't bothered about seeing a 50 in green, I prefer a much more appealing Large Logo Blue or BR Blue loco, it's what I grew up with.

mods please put this in the correct section.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

455driver

Veteran Member
50007 is still Hercules to me!

For some strange reasons I have no pictures of it in green, cant think why. ;)

RPM

Established Member
I tend to think the fact it is green is the thing that makes it unique/interesting. Its also the main reason it got preserved in the first place. However, if you own a locomotive you can paint it any colour you want.

It would be really interesting if someone put a preserved loco into an original, bespoke livery. If I owned one that is what I would do, then sit back and enjoy all the indignant frothing from the enthusiast community. <D:roll:

theblackwatch

Established Member
It was Hercules for a very short period in its life. It was un-named in BR service for longer than it carried nameplates... :P

Southern Dvr

I remember standing on New Malden station aged 7, waiting for the Teddington train, when a green Class 50 named 'Sir Edward Elgar' slowly (TSR presumably) passed through on the Down Fast. That is one of the only train sights I remember 'appreciating' when I was growing up.

For me, 50007 is green & I'll be very disappointed if it loses unique livery.

Last edited:

L+Y

What do you fellow Forum Members think?

I personally wasn't bothered about seeing a 50 in green, I prefer a much more appealing Large Logo Blue or BR Blue loco, it's what I grew up with.

For me, it's a question of what's more interesting to look at? The majority of the 50 fleet wears boring old Large Logo, and I personally welcome whatever variation can be found. It'd be nice to see more locos in unrefurbished condition, like 50044, in my book.

Monty

Established Member
:( Why so serious? It's not like a 50 is a proper loco anyway. ;)

Whistler40145

Established Member
50s not a proper loco, well I don't buy into that one, neither would I put anything English Electric into that category.

I would say 47s, 57s, 66s & 67s aren't proper locos, but each to our own.

455driver

Veteran Member
50s? Arent they just a poor mans 47?!!!

A 47 has a derated engine because they kept blowing up.
When the 50s were diagrammed on the 13 coach jumbo trains from Paddington to Plymouth (and Penzance) back in the late 80s if a 47 was substituted they had to remove 3 coaches as the 47 couldnt be guaranteed to clear the Devon banks.
When the 47s took over from the 50s on the Waterloo to Exeter services the timetable had to be 'adjusted' because they couldnt keep to time.

Is that enough or do you want some more! ;)

GearJammer

When the 50s were diagrammed on the 13 coach jumbo trains from Paddington to Plymouth (and Penzance) back in the late 80s if a 47 was substituted they had to remove 3 coaches as the 47 couldnt be guaranteed to clear the Devon banks.
When the 47s took over from the 50s on the Waterloo to Exeter services the timetable had to be 'adjusted' because they couldnt keep to time.

Give him some more.... just to make sure the point gets accross ;)

Whistler40145

Established Member
All I can say is what a remarkable job that 50007 hauled a dead 50050 & coaches over the South Devon Banks on The 50 Terminator without any problem!

I couldn't imagine a 47 managing such a feat!

hairyhandedfool

Established Member
....It would be really interesting if someone put a preserved loco into an original, bespoke livery. If I owned one that is what I would do, then sit back and enjoy all the indignant frothing from the enthusiast community. <D:roll:

*Cough*

junglejames

Established Member

Oh, so you agree with me?
When the 47s took over from the 50s on the Waterloo to Exeter services
:lol:<D

Which class lastest the longest in everyday service? Hold on, which one is still in everyday service<D

whilst with the 50s, nothing whatsoever could be done to stop them blowing up<D

Johnnie2Sheds

I loved the class 50. They were so hopeless, the WR had to keep the Westerns in service for a good 18 months more than they planned, while they tried to get the Hoovers' availability anywhere near acceptable (did they ever?). My only regret was I let 50050 go on a Padd Paignton and it burst at OOC, whereby they found Western Govenor to replace it. Never did get that 1000.

I know, I know, Hat, Coat :D

Lankyline

To me 50's should be Blue and worked double headed over Shap.

Or maybe in Infrastructure livery.

Couldn't agree more none of this network south east rubbish either, to think they decided to double up on the superb reliability they had :lol:

atlasduff47

50s? Arent they just a poor mans 47?!!!

Couldn't agree more, though I know of a man who goes by the name of Saltley1328 who may well beg to differ!
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That said any loco that's preserved is great news as far as I'm concerned, no matter it's livery. I am saving up for a 47, just a shame Atlas has gone to the scrappies in the sky!

Whistler40145

Established Member
I wish they had only built 50 47s & built more 37s & 50s!

I wouldn't waste my money on any boring old Duff!

junglejames

Established Member
I wish they had only built 50 47s & built more 37s & 50s!

I wouldn't waste my money on any boring old Duff!

Youd have needed more 37s and 50s. Extra 37s so you could triple head everything, and extra 50s so you could have a thunderbird at every station<D
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
That said any loco that's preserved is great news as far as I'm concerned, no matter it's livery.

Very true. Well apart from 66s and 67s. They can happily go to mr scrappy.
Apart from that, they are all good. Its just so funny though. You just know it'll be a piece of cake winding people up by mentioning a 47<D

50s, 47s, 37s- They are all good.

Status
Not open for further replies.