• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

58050, 60100, 91131, 2xDBSOs, What next?

Status
Not open for further replies.

mbonwick

Established Member
58 - last BR built locos, last British design for export
60 - last British Built locos
59 - first (sucessful) imported locos, first of the really heavy freight locos
66 - revolutionised freight haulage, "no maintainence" concept on large scale

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

I think the claim on 58 050 was something to do with it being the last BR built diesel locomotive ( the later 60s being Brush built ) but my memory of the reason is also hazy!

Fairly sure the claim on 58 050 is that it was the last locomotive to be built at Doncaster Works.

Helvellyn

Established Member
Of those recently designated: -

58050 - last BR designed and built diesel locomotive
60100 - last British built mainline diesel locomotive
91131 - last BR built electric locomotive and holder of a.c. electric locomotive speed record

Of other vehicles that could be designated: -

Class 43 - a power car will be designated, possibly 43238 (was named after NRM for a long time and remains an ECML power car)
Class 59 - I wonder if an attempt to designate privately owned 59001 can be made?
Pacer - love or hate, I suspect one will be designated, possibly a Class 142 for being the most numerous and widely used, plus a number still have original seating.
Sprinter - I suspect a Class 150 here, possibly one of the prototypes
Express - Class 158 units revolutionalised long distance provincial services, so designating one would make sense
Networker - Possible a Class 165/166 could be designated, along with a 365/465/466
EMUs - Designating a Class 313-315 and a 317-322 would be a good way of showing the BR EMU story, but DMUs/EMUs haven't featured hugely in the past for designation

Royal Saloons - I fully expect that in time 2903 (HM The Queen's Saloon) and 2904 (HRH The Duke of Edinburgh's Saloon) will become part of the National Collection.

Mark 3 - The NRM has the prototype Mark 2, and as many of the prototype Mark 3 vehicles remain I wonder if one of those could de designated. Interestingly, the Mark3 design means a saved coach could be set up as a CO, half First, half Standard, which would be a good way of showing how the vehicle was intended as being adaptable.

Established Member
I think that 317501 and 313201 should be preserved, as they were the first Mk3-based and PEP-based EMUs respectively.

Schnellzug

Established Member
I think that 317501 and 313201 should be preserved, as they were the first Mk3-based and PEP-based EMUs respectively.

EMUs - Designating a Class 313-315 and a 317-322 would be a good way of showing the BR EMU story, but DMUs/EMUs haven't featured hugely in the past for designation .

A 313 very much so, I think, it was after all the first production version (for BR, at any rate, of course the LMS did it before the war) of the standard EMU layout that there's been ever since; open saloons, power operated doors and so on.
Plus of course, it wa designed for the ECML, which would fit in with the East Coast- I mean National Railway Museum policy. :lol:

robertbishop

Whilst on the subject of EMUs, I think this should be the bare minimum for first and second gen (Third gen being 1991 onwards):

The first 313. (Reason stated above by Schnellzug)
The first 321.
The first 455. (Suburban Mk3 design, keeping a 317 would be biased towards 3xxs)
The first 442. (Fastest 3rd rail EMU no less ;))
1497, 1498 or 3417 (Whichever is 'free')
A 310 or a 312.
A 304 or a 305.

Rob

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
I have long since considered that the NRM should have a second 37 or 47 and section it and display it alongside Ellerman Lines, then section an 86 to complete the trio.

Schnellzug

Established Member

Ah, you could have fun all day browsing through that for obscure randomness.

Sign (one) at Salisbury Station: ‘Cycling, Skateboarding and Rollerskating Prohibited By Order of the British Railways Board’

Not one, but both Parry People Movers? (in between Signalbox Nameplate: VITRIOL WORKS and Tea Plaque at Preston, commemorating efforts of Red Cross on behalf of sailors and soldiers during World War I. )

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Ah, you could have fun all day browsing through that for obscure randomness.

Sign (one) at Salisbury Station: ‘Cycling, Skateboarding and Rollerskating Prohibited By Order of the British Railways Board’

Not one, but both Parry People Movers? (in between Signalbox Nameplate: VITRIOL WORKS and Tea Plaque at Preston, commemorating efforts of Red Cross on behalf of sailors and soldiers during World War I. )

important stuff i am sure you will agree!

Boothby97

Established Member
The P5 Preserved Loco book shows stuff thats under the national collection including an 08, 20050, 31018?, 37350, 47798 and a at least a couple of 1st gen DMUs, and the 1915 built Watford DC EMU.
I know most of the stuff in the National Collection is in the NRM but some it isn''t.
Thanks, Sam

DarloRich

Veteran Member
Lots of the locos are loaned out - like the super d on the nymr- and there is a big storage facility somewhere (other thans shildon!)

Rhydgaled

Established Member
I'd like to nominate a 158 or two, and I'd put 91131 in GNER livery and also preserve 91001 in full Intercity Swallow livery with Swallow nameplates. Be great if a few mark 4s and a DVT in each livery could be saved too.

I'd also like to see two specific named class 43 IC125 power cars preserved too, the one named after I.K. Brunel (I think it was the second 43 built, 43003 I think) and the one named "Great Western".

sprinterguy

Established Member
Lots of the locos are loaned out - like the super d on the nymr- and there is a big storage facility somewhere (other thans shildon!)
It used to be MoD Kineton that the NRM used for storage, though I don't know if that is the case any more.

yummy125

Is 58 050 still working in France as the last I heard, it had been "stored". It suffered a new livery attack as well: :(

As the loco is the last built from Doncaster, it should not of been sent over the channel.

a_58050_graffiti_Valencia.jpg

Last edited:

HSTEd

Veteran Member
I reckon:
442001 - This is an example both of the Southern Region's frugality, but also serves as testament to the high quality of BR built EMUs and the adaptability of the Mark 3 design.
91xxx - Whichever the locomotive to haul the first of the 140mph test trains was, not sure which, should be preserved as it is the fastest British built locomotive, perhaps it could be preserved in a shortened rake with a Mark 4 DVT and atleast an SO and FO.
92003 - Example of the last British built electric locomotives and this example was apparently operated on the last train of the British rail era.
60001 - Last of the British built diesel freight locomotives and the last one to look nice and not like a shed or an American loco. Obviously to be preserved in railfreight grey and not any other nasty scheem.

Status
Not open for further replies.