• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

6 hours 6 Minutes Glasgow to London

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

hexagon789

Veteran Member

Are Avanti out to break a modern day record?
It's an altered schedule, asides from incorporating a Lockerbie stop (which adds 4-5 mins as its in the middle of a 125mph section), you have:

5 min Carlisle dwell
10 min Penrith dwell
5 min Oxenholme dwell
5 min Lancaster dwell
Crewe call (with a 5 min dwell), so the Glasgow runs in a different path south from there and pathing adds about 24 mins to the schedule.

The entire schedule has 57.5 mins of pathing allowances. Remove that but leave the engineering allowances and you get a better idea of what a normal schedule with these stops would be.

You also have the extra long dwells at 5 stations (usually everything except Preston and Carlisle is 2 mins, with P & C being 3).

I will absolutely concede it is a ridiculous schedule, but a closer look at the allowances and dwells at least demonstrates how it is so long.

Admittedly the closest normal equivalent is the 0800, which arrives at 1354 but has a different stopping pattern and goes via Birmingham, so not truly comparable.

jfollows

Established Member
This particular train appears to have made it as far as Carstairs only before reversing and going back to Glasgow Central.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
This particular train appears to have made it as far as Carstairs only before reversing and going back to Glasgow Central.
Yep it's returned back to Glasgow, with passengers having to change trains onto the next one.

The problems were concerns at the state of one of the Pendolino's pantographs looking very worn (not sure why it wasn't noticed before it left Polmadie?). It was also running on reduced power and none tilt.

dave59

It's an altered schedule, asides from incorporating a Lockerbie stop (which adds 4-5 mins as its in the middle of a 125mph section), you have:

5 min Carlisle dwell
10 min Penrith dwell
5 min Oxenholme dwell
5 min Lancaster dwell
Crewe call (with a 5 min dwell), so the Glasgow runs in a different path south from there and pathing adds about 24 mins to the schedule.

The entire schedule has 57.5 mins of pathing allowances. Remove that but leave the engineering allowances and you get a better idea of what a normal schedule with these stops would be.

You also have the extra long dwells at 5 stations (usually everything except Preston and Carlisle is 2 mins, with P & C being 3).

I will absolutely concede it is a ridiculous schedule, but a closer look at the allowances and dwells at least demonstrates how it is so long.

Admittedly the closest normal equivalent is the 0800, which arrives at 1354 but has a different stopping pattern and goes via Birmingham, so not truly comparable.

It looks like they've all but given up completely. An altered schedule from an already altered and extended schedule. And in this case it was Carstairs return only. When I first saw the timing I thought it was (single) Class 50 hauled. Thanks for the explanation.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
It looks like they've all but given up completely. An altered schedule from an already altered and extended schedule. And in this case it was Carstairs return only. When I first saw the timing I thought it was (single) Class 50 hauled. Thanks for the explanation.
Strikes today, so any vaguely normal timetable out the window.

There are only two other Glasgow to Eustons today. Both have already left Glasgow.

voyagerdude220

Established Member
The 10:08 Glasgow Central to London Euston has also had traction faults. Last reported 39 minutes late.

hexagon789

Veteran Member
I understand this morning's 0754 had no-tilt and a motor car out and was restricted to Eco Mode.

Not going well, I pity the poor blighters that have to make the journey.

Triumph

Yep it's returned back to Glasgow, with passengers having to change trains onto the next one.

The problems were concerns at the state of one of the Pendolino's pantographs looking very worn (not sure why it wasn't noticed before it left Polmadie?). It was also running on reduced power and none tilt.
That's because it didn't see Polmadie as was booked to outstable at GLC.
And 137 has been non-tilt for about 4 days now along with 3 others, but with more needed for service it is better to run at a slower speed than have a few more cancellations.

Status
Not open for further replies.