• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

60+ Oyster Card + Extension ticket- where to tap ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chris Butler

I have a 60+ Oyster Photocard and I want to travel from outside Zone 6 (from Fleet) to Zone 1 (Waterloo). I therefore need to purchase a ticket from Fleet to either Boundary Zone 6 or the first station in Zone 6 (Surbiton). I understand that.

What I don't understand is where do I tap in/out with my Oyster Photocard. I have seen advice saying that no tap is needed and that having the photocard with me is sufficient, but the TfL website says "Make sure you touch in at the start of your journey and touch out at the end on yellow card readers. You only need to touch in on buses and trams.".

Thanks.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

maniacmartin

Established Member
Fares Advisor
If you have a season or similar on the Oyster, then you don’t need to tap at the point where you change from the Oyster to the Boundary Zone ticket.

Chris Butler

If you have a season or similar on the Oyster, then you don’t need to tap at the point where you change from the Oyster to the Boundary Zone ticket.
But I am not getting off a train at the boundary (Surbiton). In fact the fast trains don't even stop there.

I should have said that explicitly. Sorry.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
You are using one of these: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/60-plus-oyster-photocard ? If so you do not need to call anywhere, let alone tap anywhere.

Oyster is just a medium. What matters is what product(s) you are using.

The internal KnowledgeBase (iKB) states:

The 60+ Oyster is considered to be an ‘off-peak’ season ticket for the purposes of National Rail Conditions of Travel, Condition 14.2 "Using a combination of tickets" and for through journeys made on participating operators to and from stations outside the Concessionary Travel area the train does not need to call at the boundary station.

The 60+ Oyster holder needs to buy the appropriate single or return ticket....
(my emphasis)

Now we know what product you are using, I have edited the thread title to make the purpose of the thread clear and avoid confusion :)

Last edited:

Chris Butler

You are using one of these: https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/free-and-discounted-travel/60-plus-oyster-photocard ? If so you do not need to call anywhere, let alone tap anywhere.

Totally agree that I don't need to call. It's the tapping that I question. I agree exactly with your analysis. The problem is that it contradicts the specific instruction I quoted on the TfL website for this product !

I guess TfL mean that you need to tap in and out when entering/leaving the TfL operated network.

yorkie

Forum Staff
Staff Member
Administrator
Totally agree that I don't need to call. It's the tapping that I question..
Unless readers get installed on trains (which I can't see happening in the foreseeable future), you are unable to tap at the point you change to your paper ticket.

The product is valid for non-stop travel and it's not your problem that no tapping facility is provided on non-stop trains.

bb21

Emeritus Moderator
Totally agree that I don't need to call. It's the tapping that I question. I agree exactly with your analysis. The problem is that it contradicts the specific instruction I quoted on the TfL website for this product !

I guess TfL mean that you need to tap in and out when entering/leaving the TfL operated network.
The requirement is to both touch in and out regardless of the ticket you have.

However in reality where you have a Travelcard season ticket (or equivalent), there is no penalty enforced if you do not touch in or out inside the zones of your validity.

Status
Not open for further replies.