• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A 66 at Alresford?

Status
Not open for further replies.

50Fan91

Having had an excellent visit to the Mid Hants Railway today, I was speaking to one of the volunteers in the second-hand book shop and he mentioned that tomorrow, August 4th, a class 66 was running down from Alton to Alresford to be loaded on to a lorry. Said lorry would then take the 66 to a naming ceremony at RAF Odiham.

I was somewhat amazed when I heard this, as it seems an awful lot of effort to go to name a loco. Odiham isn't even particularly close to Alresford...? (I'm confusing myself now!)

He could give me no more details, not even an approximate time, and a cursory internet search does not reveal any movements or information relating to this event.

Does any one know any further details that they would be prepared to share?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Peter Mugridge

Veteran Member
It's 66 723; I am given to understand that it arrives at Alton to access the Mid Hants in early afternoon.

50Fan91

Hmmm... Wasn't that the loco that was named "Chinook" in honour of RAF Odiham's helicopters in 2008..?

http://www.gbrailfreight.com/news_archive.php?&newsid=220

If it is indeed that loco, I can't see why it would be going back there again...

--- old post above --- --- new post below ---

Although, having said that, the loco was named at "Wellingborough depot in Northamptonshire" according to the article.

So maybe the loco is going to Odiham to be put on display..? Maybe?

Last edited:

yummy125

Wow, I live 5 mins away from Odiham, may have to make a visit today, Good idea having a "Washing Machine" on display for a few years :D

But it was tragic the working 50 was allowed to go static at "Steam", now it is it's former self trying to get a refurb & mainline clearance again. :(

50Fan91

Don't take my word as 'Gospel', yummy! I can't see any other reason why the loco would be going to Odiham, so make sure you have some more concrete information before you head off to visit!!

50Fan91

Excellent photos, thanks very much for including the link, 73109!

Status
Not open for further replies.