• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A 66 Has Speed Control!

Status
Not open for further replies.

nath9425

Just looking through my 66 Cab pictures of 66722 from Long Marston, It appears to me that the loco seems to have speed control, otherwise know by motorists as 'Cruise Control'.

So basically as you can see in this photo, there is a flicky switch for On/Off and a button that you can press forth or backwards to increase/decrease speed. I wonder if thats what drivers use when they get bored of holding on the throttle...

There you go! Another amazing fact about a Class 66.

SC.jpg

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JoshW1992

Established Member
Talking about amazing facts, I heard that a class 66 can be driven from a laptop. Needs to be plugged into the loco somehow though..

1D53

Established Member
Its for use in loading situations such a MGR when the train needs to keep to a set slow speed. I doubt it could be safely used on a mainline.

JoshW1992

Established Member
really? why? ;)

Well, I play BVE so technically I drive trains from the computer, but I certainly wouldnt trust a real one driven by a laptop.

And I certainly wouldnt trust one driven by you :p :grin::grin:

(Just joking mate) :grin:

Established Member
Its for use in loading situations such a MGR when the train needs to keep to a set slow speed. I doubt it could be safely used on a mainline.
Skodas have full automatic speed control, AFAIK driver sets a speed and loco systems automatically apply brake/throttle to reach/maintain this speed.

I was chatting away to a driver and he said you can read the paper while driving one of them!
I think you missed out a couple of words in that sentence...

"I was chatting away to a driver and he said IN THEORY you can read the paper while driving one of them!"

;)

16CSVT2700

Established Member
I've done about 3mph, but that was because I had about 6 metres of siding space to use :???:
I can beat that.. 0.5mph, didcot power station loop 2, 58014 & 36 HAAs, proper coal wagons! :lol:
--- old post above --- --- new post below ---
I was chatting away to a driver and he said you can read the paper while driving one of them!
Idiotic quote of the week #1

Jord

How?

I said a driver said that to me.

No names.

Never know, I could be lying for what anyone knows :roll:

Will someone question every single driver that signs through Carlisle? :roll:

Phoenix

Established Member
How?

I said a driver said that to me.

No names.

Never know, I could be lying for what anyone knows :roll:

Will someone question every single driver that signs through Carlisle? :roll:

1.he Suggested it so really he hasn't done anything wrong.
2.I gotta be fair to you no names were given.
3.WHATS NEW (I can easily say I have seen certain drivers with paper out feet up.
4.Bullet pointing with numbers is cool.

Juniper Driver

Established Member
Talking about amazing facts, I heard that a class 66 can be driven from a laptop. Needs to be plugged into the loco somehow though..

I think I saw somewhere that they wired up a shunting engine to be controlled by remote control.:?

Status
Not open for further replies.