• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

TRain87

10 started on my course, 2 females who wore trousers and blouses. I think 6 men wore shirt and trousers. Now I'm a slob and wear trackie bottoms or shorts lol

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Blimey, things have changed. When I was at Leeds 12 years ago we were not allowed jeans, I got told off about wearing black combats, and it was catagorically no T-shirts, football or rugby shirts.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
First week go smart to casual smart, the dress code will slack off as the course goes on.

It’s a full on course, you need to be comfortable with what your wearing, is say tidy new jeans (no rips etc) smart shoes to go with jeans obviously or smart clean trainers with a casual shirt or polo maybe.

Saracen_83

Jeans (no rips etc) and a t shirt are fine, as are trainers and hoodies.....

As long as it smart, not dirty, offensive or ripped you will be fine.

Enjoy the course!!!

Narom

Jeans (no rips etc) and a t shirt are fine, as are trainers and hoodies.....

As long as it smart, not dirty, offensive or ripped you will be fine.

Enjoy the course!!!

That's good to hear, having worn shorts and a polo for a decade, trousers and a shirt was going to be a massive shock to my system!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Once your in box you’ll find the “uniform” expectations vary hugely from a 100% full uniform to no uniform and pretty much anything in between!

The majority at my place are uniform polo or T-shirt with tidy jeans and trainers, shorts with company top are also permitted but the place is so cold you’d freeze your bits off this time of year on the ops floor !

choochoobacca

Once your in box you’ll find the “uniform” expectations vary hugely from a 100% full uniform to no uniform and pretty much anything in between!

The majority at my place are uniform polo or T-shirt with tidy jeans and trainers, shorts with company top are also permitted but the place is so cold you’d freeze your bits off this time of year on the ops floor !

Thanks for all the advice guys! I'm all set to go - Lederhosen, sleeveless tank top and a cravat it is!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Personally I think there are very few signallers who’ll turn their backs on helping you out, whether your on the road to joining the club or in the crew.

Even the missable ones will always help you out of a fix.

soswales

Just had an email for an invite to interview for Cardiff as a signaller! Well nervous!
Any tips or advice on the best way to prepare?
I will be spending the next week researching everything I possibly can

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Just had an email for an invite to interview for Cardiff as a signaller! Well nervous!
Any tips or advice on the best way to prepare?
I will be spending the next week researching everything I possibly can

I assume that’s for the fixed term jobs?

Brush up on Wales route CP6 plans, eg port Talbot Resignalling. Safety mentea “everyone home safe everyday” possibly the life saving rules - working at height with the correct equipment, ensure your competent to undertake the task at hand etc.

What SWCC Controls, Pilning to Pontyclun inclusive + Rhyl and Shrewsbury North.
With plans in the next CP to include Port Talbot, Park Junction, Tondu and all Signal boxes to Carmarthen.

General stuff about Network Rail, then get the non technical skills in your head for the competence questions.

soswales

I assume that’s for the fixed term jobs?

Brush up on Wales route CP6 plans, eg port Talbot Resignalling. Safety mentea “everyone home safe everyday” possibly the life saving rules - working at height with the correct equipment, ensure your competent to undertake the task at hand etc.

What SWCC Controls, Pilning to Pontyclun inclusive + Rhyl and Shrewsbury North.
With plans in the next CP to include Port Talbot, Park Junction, Tondu and all Signal boxes to Carmarthen.

General stuff about Network Rail, then get the non technical skills in your head for the competence questions.

Thank you for your advice, really appreciate it.
The post I applied for was "Signaller x 1 Relief and 3 Resident posts - South Wales Control Centre, Cardiff" - OW WROC - Shrewsbury North G5. Does anyone know what the training pay would be for this grade to work my finances out if I was to get the job? I have seen people mention that you get one grade down, so grade 4? If so, anyone know the take home is whilst in training?

I have gone through around 45 pages so far on this forum, still got another 70 to go but so far as you stated I have gathered that I need to practice the non technical skills for competency based questions, learn their safety vision and general information about network rail/job. I am not the best when it comes to competency based questions but I managed to get into my current job as a dispatcher for the Emergency Services so hopefully I can pick out lots of good examples - under pressure, team work, challenging work etc.
In regards to the non technical skills, will this be generalised questions like "Tell me how you are conscientious whilst in work?" "Explain how you communicate effectively" or is it more "Give me an example as to when you have worked with others and helped achieve a goal" or something like "Explain a time when you have managed your workload, dealt with the pressure and overcome it" that kind of thing?

Does anyone know what the roster is like for Cardiff - 8 or 12 hour shifts? how many days on/off?... I am still trying to get used to all the abbreviations on here for train world, I'm sure I will be fine once I finish on this forum.

In regards to being a Signaller on the Shrewsbury North line, can anyone clarify exactly where this covers - is it from Newport up north to Shrewsbury - Cwmbran, Pontypool, Abergavenny, Hereford, Leominster... and up to Shrewsbury and back or is there more?

Sorry for all the questions... I do appreciate any advice you guys can give! :)

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Shrewsbury North job would include as standard now Rhyl as well, both grade 4 (£32878pa or £2529pm).
Training for those would be £31168pa or £2397pm.

Shrewsbury North Workstation is wholly automatic operation, the level crossings are all automatic raise and lower with obstacle detection equipment, covers just north of Shrewsbury station at Crewe Lane to just shy of Crewe at Gresty Bridge, you have to request the slot with Shrewsbury for trains for each train, that’s it.

Rhyl Workstation isn’t much better to be honest, you operate the level crossing a few times an hour at Ty Morfa - the deak covers from Abergele to the West and Flint to the East.

However, SIX grade four Shrewsbury/Rhyl signallers have been taken into the Newport (Grade 6 £38528) link, hence the vacancies.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Can’t seem to edit the post so, all links are 12hrs at Cardiff 0700-1900-0700.
45 minute x2 breaks on Newport and Shrewsbury/Rhyl links with 60 minutes x2 on Cardiff link.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Typical three day week as well, with a week off every four/five weeks a new roster is being consulted however.

Relief links depending on which one your in work three day blocks with 7 rest days.

Qball

"Give me an example as to when you have worked with others and helped achieve a goal" or something like "Explain a time when you have managed your workload, dealt with the pressure and overcome it" that kind of thin

This is how they will ask the questions but will tell you first which of the non-technical skills they looking for.

soswales

Typical three day week as well, with a week off every four/five weeks a new roster is being consulted however.

Relief links depending on which one your in work three day blocks with 7 rest days.

That's awesome... Would rather 12 hour shifts and 7 - 7 is easier to get back and forth

Doesn't G5 mean the role I am applying for is a grade 5 rather than 4 or am I mistaken?

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Shrewsbury North is definitely a grade 4, there is a single man SWCC located Shrewsbury North Relief link which is also a grade 4.

Radyr and Abercoyon are both Grade 5, but are locations in their own right.

soswales

Shrewsbury North is definitely a grade 4, there is a single man SWCC located Shrewsbury North Relief link which is also a grade 4.

Radyr and Abercoyon are both Grade 5, but are locations in their own right.

Yeah your right, just checked the job advert and the salary is a grade 4. Thanks :)

It says fixed rate salary but will I still be able to earn extra on top of that for Sundays etc?

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
No idea what the “fixed rate salary” is all about, every signaller role states that.

The basic stated is just that, a sick for 12 months basic pay - add your booked Sundays (I think it’s one a month, either days or nights, on the link roster) plus the standard night premiums add circa £5000 to your basic pay, on top of that is any rest day work or extra Sundays you work, even a grade 4 could easily earn circa £50,000 without to much trouble.

soswales

Sounds good to me Tom! Thanks for all your help... I will continue to read the rest of the forum and try my best next week at the interview!
First interview in years lol! I best get prepping!

choochoobacca

No idea what the “fixed rate salary” is all about, every signaller role states that.

The basic stated is just that, a sick for 12 months basic pay - add your booked Sundays (I think it’s one a month, either days or nights, on the link roster) plus the standard night premiums add circa £5000 to your basic pay, on top of that is any rest day work or extra Sundays you work, even a grade 4 could easily earn circa £50,000 without to much trouble.

Is that figure right? £50k grade 4 when all the enhancements taken into consideration etc ? I was thinking I was being optimistic in expecting/hoping to earn circa £40k at grade 4. Are there really many out there at grade 4 taking home close to 50k?
(Please say yes, please say yes!! )

Highlandspring

Established Member
Only the ones who live at work and see their families for a few hours every couple of months.

Narom

No point earning all that money if you have no time to spend it.

I'm going in at grade 3. I'll be happy at around 30k. Work to live, not live to work .