• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
It is surprising how quickly 6 days can spring up on you without intending to, for example I was on 7 rest days the other week, off my block of 3 either side. My 6 days turned into a handful after rosters made “the call” unexpectedly to me.

You do have to be careful though, it may well end up your only working to pay tax after a certain amount - also if you’ve got kids and receive any kid of criedits you’ll soon lose those.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

baz962

Established Member
This ending up working to pay tax is a bit of a myth . At 46k a year , give or take you're tax goes to 40% . April 2019 that will be 50k . At around 43-44k , you're national insurance drops from 12% to 2%. . So combined tax and n.i goes from 32% to 42%.

Rhd82glx

Just had an email for an invite to interview for Cardiff as a signaller! Well nervous!
Any tips or advice on the best way to prepare?
I will be spending the next week researching everything I possibly can
I have been reading this thread with interest over the past few weeks I also applied for this grade 4 at Cardiff my application is still sat at test completed(5weeks now) so I'm guessing if they have started inviting people to interview then I suppose I'm waiting for the unsuccessful e mail best of luck Steo91.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
They were doing interviews this week just gone, so not all is lost - id of thought they’d have a lot of people to get through.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
This ending up working to pay tax is a bit of a myth . At 46k a year , give or take you're tax goes to 40% . April 2019 that will be 50k . At around 43-44k , you're national insurance drops from 12% to 2%. . So combined tax and n.i goes from 32% to 42%.

Well I didn’t know that, every day is school day - thanks !

headshot119

Established Member
No point earning all that money if you have no time to spend it.

I'm going in at grade 3. I'll be happy at around 30k. Work to live, not live to work .

Grade 3 basic is £31,169, add on nights, and rostered Sundays, throw in the odd rest day you'll easily clear £35,000 before tax.

martin2345uk

Established Member

The whole rate of NI you pay doesn't drop to 2% - it's just you pay 2% on anything over £892 per week that you earn; you still pay 12% on anything between £162 and £892 per week.

baz962

Established Member
The whole rate of NI you pay doesn't drop to 2% - it's just you pay 2% on anything over £892 per week that you earn; you still pay 12% on anything between £162 and £892 per week.

Correct , you pay 12% plus 20% tax =32% after 892 you pay 2% on 893 up plus 40% tax =42% is what I put . I didn't say you pay only 2% total lol. The point being in total anything you earn over that you are only paying a total combined 10% more , that is until you hit 150k.

C.T.P.

I would agree to pay 70% tax on everything I make over 100k. And nothing under 30K. Fair?

Amack92

What does it mean when the position you have applied for has been put on hold? I have passed the tests, but been told the position has been put on hold but it is with the hiring manager. Signaller Grade 3 Mansfield. Any information would be great.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
What it says on the tin really, you on hold at that stage of the process waiting developments.

How long is a piece of string as to how long you’ll remain there though.

Narom

Medical all done.

Height, weight, hearing, sight, urine, blood pressure all tested along with a breathalyser.

Took less than an hour which was handy as I was the only one to turn up on time for it!

Amack92

What it says on the tin really, you on hold at that stage of the process waiting developments.

How long is a piece of string as to how long you’ll remain there though.
Oh right, fair enough. I guess its a waiting game then, would like to hear something soon though. Any idea what shift patterns they are on etc? Thanks for replying.

Fore right

Due to start signalling school on the 10th December can't wait! Just a quick question is the dress code suit and tie or is it smart casual Many thanks
I was in York this summer. You want to be comfortable, tidy jeans polo shirt and shoes I started with and then ditched the shoes for a pair of the softer type walking boot.

Seejwalker

Does anyone happen to know what medical standards band the signaller role comes under? I know train driver is Band A.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
It depends on whether your going to be based at a lineside location/single manned or a multi manned panel/roc location.

I know that only having one eye or a hearing aid won’t prevent you from a multi manned panel location.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
A quick question for one of the on the job lads, Xmas day and Boxing Day can anyone advise on the pay rates please ?

I’m booked to work 24/25/26th, but I suspect I’ll be booked off. I’ve put down for HROP (I know LROP is better) I assume it’ll be 300% for 25/26th with no lieu day, even if I’m booked off ?

Cheers

Sunset route

Established Member
A quick question for one of the on the job lads, Xmas day and Boxing Day can anyone advise on the pay rates please ?

I’m booked to work 24/25/26th, but I suspect I’ll be booked off. I’ve put down for HROP (I know LROP is better) I assume it’ll be 300% for 25/26th with no lieu day, even if I’m booked off ?

Cheers

I’ve sent you a PM.

nom de guerre

Cheers

If you're booked off not required to work it's basic rate surely?

Yep.

Basic rate or a comp day, depending on your ROP preference.

R.Quintero

Hi, I have a question in a similar vein to the one asked by Tom Quinne. Is there any extra pay associated with working new years day? I'm down to do 31st, 1st & 2nd. Grade 2 box on a 12 hour rota if that makes any difference.

I only passed out a couple of months back so this will be my first NY worked, hence not knowing the deal. Thanks in advance for any info.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Yes, it’s a bank holiday so either HROP (300%) or LROP and a day in lieu. If you’re in Scotland then the 2nd is the same.