• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

GingerRH

Evening guys

How do relief jobs work in terms of salary? Trying to figure out if an advertised role will pay more or less than my current role.

+24%, does this mean on your basic salary only or is it also +24% on RDW and Sundays? Are you rostered any Sundays at all? (Somebody told me you weren't offered them as a relief but I didn't know if this was offered ontop of what's already rostered). The Sundays obviously are a huge boost to my current role

Any help would be much appreciated!

Your basic salary will be the headline pay Mulitplied by 124% (Base grade salary x1.24). The relief premium however does not apply to any Sunday, overtime or rest day working shifts as they are voluntary.

On your base roster you will not have any Sundays at all, however you will be offered any spare Sundays that need to be covered before any resident (non relief) staff.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Norm88

Your basic salary will be the headline pay Mulitplied by 124% (Base grade salary x1.24). The relief premium however does not apply to any Sunday, overtime or rest day working shifts as they are voluntary.

On your base roster you will not have any Sundays at all, however you will be offered any spare Sundays that need to be covered before any resident (non relief) staff.

Thanks for your reply @GingerRH. A grade 3 plus 24% equates to roughly the same basic as a grade 6, yet this in reality will not equal a grade 6 salary due to lack of Sundays etc I'm guessing...

GingerRH

Thanks for your reply @GingerRH. A grade 3 plus 24% equates to roughly the same basic as a grade 6, yet this in reality will not equal a grade 6 salary due to lack of Sundays etc I'm guessing...

You may not have any rostered Sundays, however there’s always spare Sundays going as a fair amount of resident staff don’t want to work their own Sundays! You’ll also get a fair amount of night shifts being relief meaning you’ll get your night premium too for every night shift.

OverTheRails

Hey folks,

Been reading this forum for a few weeks now as I have 2 applications in at Didcot, one Grade 7 and one Grade 9. I was wondering if someone could tell me the differences in work between those two roles :)
Currently on the never ending “test complete” stage so no doubt a few weeks/months to see if I made the cut for an interview :)

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hey folks,

Been reading this forum for a few weeks now as I have 2 applications in at Didcot, one Grade 7 and one Grade 9. I was wondering if someone could tell me the differences in work between those two roles :)
Currently on the never ending “test complete” stage so no doubt a few weeks/months to see if I made the cut for an interview :)

As an ex TVSC Signaller I posted a full run down a few pages ago..

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
You may not have any rostered Sundays, however there’s always spare Sundays going as a fair amount of resident staff don’t want to work their own Sundays! You’ll also get a fair amount of night shifts being relief meaning you’ll get your night premium too for every night shift.

Since I went Relief 9 months ago I’ve not had a single Sunday day turn, but I’m always marked up to Sat night and Sun night turns, in fact I’m pretty much a night Signaller !

GingerRH

Since I went Relief 9 months ago I’ve not had a single Sunday day turn, but I’m always marked up to Sat night and Sun night turns, in fact I’m pretty much a night Signaller !

That’s a shame :/

Best start taking some comp leave or annual leave days on Saturdays? :p

Highlandspring

Established Member
Likewise (although I’m not a Signaller)
That’s a shame :/

Best start taking some comp leave or annual leave days on Saturdays? :p
That’s the residents’ trick and why the relief get shafted with it in the first place.

ChrisG85

To be honest with you the chances of landing a job with only one app at a time or only jobs in your immediate area are extremely low indeed.

Your best chance of landing a job is to literally apply for every job that feasible to get to and from.

Scores will be stored centrally for six months and used against the other people who apply for the job.

Be aware though working a 8 or 12hrs turn with a 2hr drive either side isn’t fun (been there) I’ve also heard that the firm is introducing a 14hr door to shift to door rule.
Thanks Tom.
I think they should all be within around an hour or so which isn't too far from what I usually do these days. Nothing like the 3hr each way commute I had to do occasionally in the past.

Ashpen

In terms of applying for every job going, is there a trick to this? It asks me the 70 question questionnaire every time and my answers were extensive the first time - is there any way to save these answers otherwise this will take forever copying and pasting each time?

Trackboy

Out of interest what would be grade 5 salary on average anually before any deduction including sunday,London and night allowance but no OT.

Thanks.

galaxynew

In terms of applying for every job going, is there a trick to this? It asks me the 70 question questionnaire every time and my answers were extensive the first time - is there any way to save these answers otherwise this will take forever copying and pasting each time?
As a few have mentioned in this forum you need to keep a copy of your answers to the 70 questions and unfortunately it does mean having to copy + paste every time you complete an applications, no way round this i'm afraid.

GingerRH

Out of interest what would be grade 5 salary on average anually before any deduction including sunday,London and night allowance but no OT.

Thanks.

Depends on roster, but 45-48k with base roster. If inner London add another £3-4K or so (can’t remember what it is exactly as never check) or if it’s south east allowance add £800 or so?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Did anyone see the “Daliy Fail” “article” on network rail pay ?

Apparently 230 Signallers are doing £80,000 to £100,000 pa.

nom de guerre

I believe that a few earn that sum, but not sure if there is 230 that do!

I suppose it depends whether the Heil are including SSMs. It's a pretty narrow pool of signallers that have the potential to earn over £80K - probably only Grade 7 Reliefs, Grade 8 and 9. A couple of the SSMs at my place are in that bracket, but none of the signallers.

Saracen_83

2 sigs at my place are 75k plus and we are below grade 7 ;)

So 80k plus on a grade 8 and above....... can see it happening

GingerRH

The article I can see to be very true. £75k isn’t hard in the grand scheme of things!

Jaysub

Thanks Tom.
I think they should all be within around an hour or so which isn't too far from what I usually do these days. Nothing like the 3hr each way commute I had to do occasionally in the past.

Scores are saved for 12 months when i done my tests

Jaysub

Copy and paste is the quickest way,iv done mine that way every time and only takes 5 mins to do app now

Ashpen

Copy and paste is the quickest way,iv done mine that way every time and only takes 5 mins to do app now

Thanks - for some reason it won’t let me select my answers in the existing application in order to copy them so I had to dial screen it and manually type them out into notepad and then paste them into the new one. At least it’s done now for future.

MidlandsChap

Morning all

Please could somebody confirm the most recent application process. Last time I applied a good few years back it was a set of about 20 questions online, an assessment day in London then an interview. I keep reading about 70 questions, is that before the assessment day now?

I would be an external applicant, just waiting for something near me to be advertised.

Thanks

DanH

Morning all

Please could somebody confirm the most recent application process. Last time I applied a good few years back it was a set of about 20 questions online, an assessment day in London then an interview. I keep reading about 70 questions, is that before the assessment day now?

I would be an external applicant, just waiting for something near me to be advertised.

Thanks
Morning bud, hope you’re well.

You now fill in the initial application form and answer 69 yes or no questions and give examples for the ones you can.

The assessment centre isn’t part of the process anymore so once you have answered the 69 questions on the application they invite you to do a few online assessments, instead of the assessment day.

If all goes well with the 3 online assessments then you will hopefully be put through to one of the Hire managers who then sift you down for interview.

The online assessment results are kept on their system for 12 months I think.. so any positions you apply for automatically get taken from this.

Hope that helps mate.