• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Chaz T

Hi Guys, I'm new here and have really enjoyed reading through this (and other) threads.

Recently applied for my first signaller job (Grade 2, Penyffordd SB - North Wales); Have passed the online assessment and am waiting for the status of my application to change.

It was a speculative application and I didn't know too much about signalling but reading through the forums has made me really excited, hopefully I'll get a positive update soon on my current application - Thanks for all the helps on this thread I'm sure it will come in useful if my application progresses. Fingers crossed!

I am in exactly the same position as you. Now waiting to see if I am an acceptable candidate for interview.

Best of luck with your application

WizJim

I am in exactly the same position as you. Now waiting to see if I am an acceptable candidate for interview.

Best of luck with your application

Thanks mate, you applied for Penyffordd too? I think I did pretty well in the online tests so hopeful of getting to the next stage - looking through the thread though it could take some time to move through the process so I'll be nice and patient!

Chaz T

Thanks mate, you applied for Penyffordd too? I think I did pretty well in the online tests so hopeful of getting to the next stage - looking through the thread though it could take some time to move through the process so I'll be nice and patient!

No, I'm over in Lincolnshire. Applied for a box in a village called Heckington.

Looks like a few of people on here are after their first position with Network Rail and going for Grade 2 boxes.

Looking forward to hopefully getting the chance to get interviewed. The more I read, the more I see how so much of what I have done over the years is relevant and that I will enjoy the role.

ROCsteadycrew

No, I'm over in Lincolnshire. Applied for a box in a village called Heckington.

Looks like a few of people on here are after their first position with Network Rail and going for Grade 2 boxes.

Looking forward to hopefully getting the chance to get interviewed. The more I read, the more I see how so much of what I have done over the years is relevant and that I will enjoy the role.

There's another three posts for Kirton Lindsey on the recruitment site today if they're of any interest to you.

Daniel Hassan

Really irritating. Applied for another Signaller job, but because I failed my last set of tests for another signaller job 4 months ago, it won’t let me go through to test invite again :( anyone think it’s a little bit harsh? Surely you should be able to re take another test for a completely different vacancy. Understandable if it were the same one. Passed all the relevant stages to again, so was just awaiting my test invites.

Highlandspring

Established Member
Really irritating. Applied for another Signaller job, but because I failed my last set of tests for another signaller job 4 months ago, it won’t let me go through to test invite again :( anyone think it’s a little bit harsh? Surely you should be able to re take another test for a completely different vacancy. Understandable if it were the same one. Passed all the relevant stages to again, so was just awaiting my test invites.
Given they’re psychometric assessments to determine whether or not you have the aptitude and ability for the role of signaller, no I don’t think so. The whole idea is that not everyone can pass the tests. Just be grateful they don’t restrict you to just two chances over your whole life like the train driver psychometric assessments. That said, I’m sorry you didn’t do as well as you’d hoped.

Cavan

Previously in this thread people have mentioned getting their test scores reset at 6 months.

Chumba

Back in December 2018 I applied for a signaller role and after completing the tests received a letter saying the test results were valid for 12 months. I didn't get the job but have recently applied for a Signaller role.

After the recent initial application they said they would await tests results, and they used the December 2018 results. I then received a letter in May 2019 saying

“I am pleased to advise that you have reached the required benchmark on your online assessment and your results will be held on file for 12 months.”

That indicates that the test results from December 2018 have now been extended until May 2020. It appears that if you pass the online tests but fail to get a job then during the following 12 months if you apply for a new job, the tests results are then held for another 12 months.

contrad!ction

Surely that’s not external?
I’ve never seen it internal either, dead man shoes by the looks of it - 12hr turns like TVSC, Exeter and Bristol id assume.

Appeared on the internal list about a week ago I think, I've never seen it internal either. I think they do a mixture of 12s and 6s - double manned on days but single manned on nights (or after midnight?) - not 100% though...

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
There’ll be one or two blokes at TVSC interested in a move back west for reduced travelling, is it a grade 6 or 7 ?

Jaysub

Define always? There are people on here that have had applications running into twenty or thirty before being successful. You just have to keep at it.

Your scores may be perfectly acceptable but the other applicants have scored one mark higher. Or the issue might be that your CV or the answers to your 70 questions aren't doing you justice.

It isn't just the tests that determine if you get invited to interview...

Hiya

Yea got told by NR that it wasnt the 3 tests that get the interview...but its all down to the cv and 70 pre screening questions...when u get an interview and get told months later ur still in the frame,then get nothing,its pretty gutting but just gota keep trying n hope for other areas come up,

Had anyone heard of anyone getting there foot in the door by doing something different like cross keeper etc...?

nom de guerre

Had anyone heard of anyone getting there foot in the door by doing something different like cross keeper etc...?

A couple of my team started as crossing keepers or bridge operators. It’s a well-established route into signalling.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hiya

Yea got told by NR that it wasnt the 3 tests that get the interview...but its all down to the cv and 70 pre screening questions...when u get an interview and get told months later ur still in the frame,then get nothing,its pretty gutting but just gota keep trying n hope for other areas come up,

Definitely yes, it’s a very well travelled route from crossing keeper to Signaller, probably the best way if you can’t get straight into the grade.

When I was at my previous location I went to signalling school with a 19 year lad ex crossing keeper, now at my current location in the last 12 months 3 crossing keepers have got Signaller jobs.