• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I was under the impression that there was a national agreement that it was paid at flat rate.

The two ROCs I’ve been at both pay flat rate for school travelling on Sunday.

Looks like you got Sunday rate you where lucky.

Northern_lite

Hi all, I have recently been given a job offer and would like to join the SMART pension scheme. Would anyone be able to shed some light?

Thanks

JoTheSlow

Hi all,
Can anyone tell me if there is a signal box in Oswaldtwistle? If so what grade is it please?
If there isn't one does anyone know where the nearerst one, or Signalling Centre etc is? Looked on a map and can see its close to Burnley, Blackburn etc so wasn't sure if there'd just be a sig centre there? But yeah, specifically the closest signalling location to Oswaldtwistle if anyone knows it please.

headshot119

Established Member
Daisyfield Junction is your closest.

Hi all, I have recently been given a job offer and would like to join the SMART pension scheme. Would anyone be able to shed some light?

Thanks

In your offer pack, there should be a form to fill in for which pensions scheme you want to join, which includes opting into SMART.

Firstly just want to say thanks to everyone that's contributed to this forum, with the help of all the advice on here I've been lucky enough to be offered a position in Three Bridges.

I'm waiting for a date now for signaller school now and am becoming a bit concerned about a few comments I've seen about people failing the training. Just hoping for any advice / reassurance / tips / what to expect when I get there?
It’s all about studying at school mate and taking it all in . Get your pass marks and get started . That’s where you will learn to be a real signaller . The rules can be daunting but try not to worry to much about them . Once your in the box and putting the rules into practice it’s a lot easier than reading it from the rule book .well done and good luck . You’ve a job for life , a good job at that and if you’re on a 12 hrs roster the time off is amazing .

SJCembre

Can anyone advise me here:

Got a few options..

Grade 7 further from home,

Grade 4 closer to home - currently bringing home 2400 after tax and pensions, would I loose money if I took the grade 4?

Thanks! Grade 8. Do all grades carry out exactly the same training at signalling school?
The training school is to learn you all about the basics of signalling . Your proper training will start once you are in the box besides an experienced signaller . Your box will have its own special instructions which will override certain parts the rule book . Just listen to what the signaller is telling you and take a note of it . Well done good luck .

JJP

I've currently just finished week 3 of signalling school. In my personal experience, having no previous railway background, i've found it very hard so far. The sheer pace of the course is extremely fast. You learn a subject in class and it's straight onto the next subject. I've had to put hours into revising into every evening as well. We all have pretty much in my class. Been told that weeks 4 to 6 it doesnt slow down and if anything just ramps up even more.
All i can say is be prepared for your life to go on hold for 12 or 13 weeks depending on which signalling system your box uses. Be prepared to work very hard and have no or very little time on the evenings. Prepare any family you may be leaving at home for it as well because that side of it is hard too (being away all week and having to do revising on weekends).
Despite all this i'm determined to keep up the hard work and i'm looking forward to starting when i pass the course
Hi LincsBobby, do you have any idea of the signaller grades of the people on your course? I’m trying to get a feel for what I can expect to go in as being a non-signaller currently.

Hi LincsBobby, do you have any idea of the signaller grades of the people on your course? I’m trying to get a feel for what I can expect to go in as being a non-signaller currently.
Hi
I know this question is for someone else but if I might interject. This forum is great and really good for helpful advice and hints. However if I had the luxury of this website 24 years ago when I joined the railway I think I’d have shat myself and not gone to the first day.
It doesn’t matter about the others backstories, you’re all in it together, you’ll all help each other and it’ll be tough for a few months.
Going in of the street there’s no way you can get a feel for it, you have to go and learn new stuff with new people but it’ll be great especially when you are in the box.
Good luck.

Job Hunter

Anyone been offered any of the Scotland signaller jobs that were on the go yet?
I still havent heard anything after interview a month ago

ScotWestern

Today my application status updated from "Assessment 2 completed" to "Application under consideration". Does anyone know why this would happen weeks on from my actual interview date? Or is it just a case of things moving slowly? Thanks!

Seishin

Inverness

Same here. Still sat at Assessment 2 Scheduled nearly 6 weeks after interview so I’ve all but given up hope on getting it now.

Pretty frustrating though as they said we’d hear back either way within a few days.

SJCembre

I know that this may have already been covered previously but would anyone mind sharing their experience of the assessment and selection days Network Rail are currently using for signalling roles please?

I have been invited to attend an assessment day and want to have an understanding of what is ahead

Many thanks

Rockhopper

I know that this may have already been covered previously but would anyone mind sharing their experience of the assessment and selection days Network Rail are currently using for signalling roles please?

I have been invited to attend an assessment day and want to have an understanding of what is ahead

Many thanks

I wasn't aware that they are still doing that. Are you sure you haven't been invited to an interview (Assessment 2)?

SJCembre

I wasn't aware that they are still doing that. Are you sure you haven't been invited to an interview (Assessment 2)?

So, it was mentioned there will be a selection of assessments in the morning followed by an interview in the afternoon.

I have some knowledge around the assessments but just wanted to know if anyone else can share anymore info

ChrisRS

So, it was mentioned there will be a selection of assessments in the morning followed by an interview in the afternoon.

I have some knowledge around the assessments but just wanted to know if anyone else can share anymore info

Out of interest, what grade are you applying for?

nikibee

Many thanks

I went to an assessment day - I think there were about 12 of us in total (20 should have turned up).

They split us into 2 groups and got us to do a group exercise. We answered an exam type question from the rule book and sat another couple of number related papers.

We all got to do our interviews that day too, because a couple of the guys travelled really far for it.

LincsBobby

From what i have gathered they will be going into boxes (once passing out) ranging from grade 2 to grade 5. There is some people that have rail experience and some don't. It's a good mix. But as far as the actual course is concerned, everyone is classed as the same. More experienced people help less experienced and your all in it together. Work hard and everyone on the course will get through the course is the general consensus.

Lewis423

Can anyone advise me here:

Got a few options..

Grade 7 further from home,

Grade 4 closer to home - currently bringing home 2400 after tax and pensions, would I loose money if I took the grade 4?

From my knowledge Grade 4 with Sundays (Flat month) should get you roughly what you take home now, do take into account that when you are in training you will be on the grade below with no Sundays. Personally I would be applying for both to maximise the opportunity of gaining employment! Best of luck!

Peterperfect

I went to an assessment day - I think there were about 12 of us in total (20 should have turned up).

They split us into 2 groups and got us to do a group exercise. We answered an exam type question from the rule book and sat another couple of number related papers.

We all got to do our interviews that day too, because a couple of the guys travelled really far for it.

How did you get on with your exam.