• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

There were two recent MOM adverts, one for Woking and one for Eastleigh.

The Woking one said

Essential Criteria

· Rail Incident Officer and Personal Track Safety training

The Eastleigh one didn't have that as an essential criteria.

So go for it, I'm sure it'll be part of the training if you get the job.

Thanks for the info

I've applied and I have to say it was the most straightforward application I've had to do - basically a series of yes/no questions and thats it.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Catchpole1

Bit of advise please. The job I have applied for has now changed to a secondment ending November 2020. I have applied for the role externally. What would this mean for me once the term ends. Cheers.

Judochop

Hi all, random question I noticed last night whilst looking at my myconnect that I have an application open for a role in traffic management! I completely forgot about It. Anyone based at three bridges roc or asc who has heard anything? I'm assuming it's not going to happen as it's been that long.
Cheers guys.

P200E

Hi guys asking for some advice, I’ve been applying for quite a few positions and have so far always been successful in the tests etc but never get to interview. I phoned today for feedback and apparently I’m failing at the CV stage for other more suitable candidates. My question is are your CVs detailed about your previous jobs, mine are manufacturing management, or are they fairly brief? I’m thinking I’m putting in too much unrelated detail. Any advice welcomed!

Rockhopper

I’d imagine they’d want to see things that make them think you’d be a suitable person to be a signaller, so working in a safety critical environment, working alone for long periods, prioritising your own work load and working without supervision etc etc. But they’d also like to know you’d be a good team player! So basically if your CV fits with the seven NTS’s then the jobs a fish.

Sunset route

Established Member
Hi all, random question I noticed last night whilst looking at my myconnect that I have an application open for a role in traffic management! I completely forgot about It. Anyone based at three bridges roc or asc who has heard anything? I'm assuming it's not going to happen as it's been that long.
Cheers guys.

Ive sent you a PM

High Dyke

Established Member
Bit of advise please. The job I have applied for has now changed to a secondment ending November 2020. I have applied for the role externally. What would this mean for me once the term ends. Cheers.
Can't say specifically, but experience of others has shown that the post will be converted to a permanent role. However, please note that it wouldn't be the first time the hiring manager has made a cock-up of the process. In the past managers have said that you wouldn't be out of a job..

SignalProspect

Firstly let me say thank you to everybody who has contributed to this post, it has been invaluable for a guy off the street trying to get into signalling. Applied for my first role a month ago and managed to reach the interview stage, have to wait until monday or Tuesday to hear back to see if I got the role. Only a long weekend I know but how do people cope waiting weeks/months for a response, I'm crawling the walls waiting four days haha.

Dave 5-5-5

I applied for a G2 position back in June, got an interview in early August after passing the online tests. 6 weeks later I had a provisional offer pending medical etc, passed that last Friday and have been given a start date today. All in all, been about 3 months. signalling school next.

CB 1-2-1

Congrats to you both. Bit of advice needed please....I have been offered a grade 3 - 12 month FTC 50 miles from home pending medical results, which I am delighted with and so grateful for. However a permanent role has now come up of the same grade, right where I live and is literally 5 minutes away. I have applied and my application is sat at test completed. If I were to be lucky enough to be invited to an interview after the closing date next week, what should I say/do??? I don't want to rock the boat as I am just climbing in it. :rolleyes:

Rockhopper

When does the job you’ve been offered start? It could be months before the other one progresses to interview stage. A bird in the hand etc etc.

ljmac

Congrats to you both. Bit of advice needed please....I have been offered a grade 3 - 12 month FTC 50 miles from home pending medical results, which I am delighted with and so grateful for. However a permanent role has now come up of the same grade, right where I live and is literally 5 minutes away. I have applied and my application is sat at test completed. If I were to be lucky enough to be invited to an interview after the closing date next week, what should I say/do??? I don't want to rock the boat as I am just climbing in it. :rolleyes:
I was in a similar situation and turned down the second interview.

Peterperfect

Say nothing if you get 2nd interview. If you get offered the 2nd job accept it and then decline the 1st one. You could use the fact that the 1st one is 50 miles and more than an hour to travel to. They would have to accept that. Btw chances are youll get a full time post even if you take the 1st offer. You are allowed to apply for jobs if your post is fixed term.

Dan 2513

Hi all.

Thank you to everyone who’s contributed to this thread, it’s been really insightful for me.

I am currently Going through the process with my very first application for a grade 2 post and the information that has been shared has been a great help for the many questions I have.

Thank you all.

Last edited:

Dan 2513

I applied for a G2 position back in June, got an interview in early August after passing the online tests. 6 weeks later I had a provisional offer pending medical etc, passed that last Friday and have been given a start date today. All in all, been about 3 months. signalling school next.

Hi Dave.

I have recently applied for the first time as a signaller grade 2 in Lincolnshire,
I have met the required benchmarks in the online tests and I am told I will hear something shortly.
I am new to this forum and can see a few different responses to how recruitment is handled.
I read your post about your own journey and didn't see anything about an assessment center. Could you confirm if you had to attend one or not?

Thanks.

Dave 5-5-5

Hi all.

Thank you to everyone who’s contributed to this thread, it’s been really insightful for me.

I am currently Going through the process with my very first application for a grade 2 post and the information that has been shared has been a great help for the many questions I have.

Thank you all.
Hi Dan, you're just down the A16 from me. If I can be any help just ask.

Dave 5-5-5

Hi Dave.

I have recently applied for the first time as a signaller grade 2 in Lincolnshire,
I have met the required benchmarks in the online tests and I am told I will hear something shortly.
I am new to this forum and can see a few different responses to how recruitment is handled.
I read your post about your own journey and didn't see anything about an assessment center. Could you confirm if you had to attend one or not?

Thanks.
Nope, it was all done online. Its a bit like psychometric testing. Based on the answers you give get you further up the ladder or not.
If you've had safety critical jobs where rules and regs are paramount you'll easily hit the score.

Dan 2513

Nope, it was all done online. Its a bit like psychometric testing. Based on the answers you give get you further up the ladder or not.
If you've had safety critical jobs where rules and regs are paramount you'll easily hit the score.

Yes I am not to far from you.

Thanks for that information. Hopefully when I hear back it’s good news then.

I hope you enjoy the school,
Good luck.

Kauto5

Would anybody be able to advise me if 'Operative [Works Delivery Signalling] ' is along the same path as a signaller? It's outdoors, general maintenance, but would it be a good foot in the door to becoming a signaller later down the line? Would the recruitment process be the same on terms of the tests etc?

And help and advice greatly appreciated!

Defenestrate

Would anybody be able to advise me if 'Operative [Works Delivery Signalling] ' is along the same path as a signaller? It's outdoors, general maintenance, but would it be a good foot in the door to becoming a signaller later down the line? Would the recruitment process be the same on terms of the tests etc?

Perhaps it's a good way to get into signal engineer or other track operative type roles, but it doesn't sound like "the same path" as a signaller.

I'm sure that there would still be valuable experience, e.g. safety and railway examples for the signaller recruitment process, so I wouldn't discourage the application.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

I work with a number of blokes who are ex PWay/S&T/Off Track etc - although not a direct path into actual Signalling its a really good way of bagging those competency boxes ticked off ready for the interview.

f1nch26

Had a weird email today from NR. Applied for a G2 position, had the interview, heard nothin since (couple of months)....received an email today saying that my my application was unsuccessful due to 'failure to confirm attendance'.....what the hell does that mean? I've had no correspondence since the interview...nothing changed online until today...weird...