• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Signalgirl

Thanks for the response Signalgirl. You are in the exact situation I'm worried I'll end up in. Unfortunately I'm not in a position to relocate, my partner is settled in his job and the kids are at school. The box I applied for is perfect, 15 mins down the road and although I'm prepared to travel further, it seems a bit pointless if ultimately all the boxes will be closing and everything locally is moving to York ROC. In hindsight it would have made more sense to apply for a job at York ROC but I'm not sure I've seen any advertised externally... are there many internal vacancies there?

What makes my decision more difficult is that my current job is relatively stable and I'm now questioning whether I should leave it to be thrown into a couple of years of uncertainty and stress. But when you say you've really enjoyed your time signalling so far it makes me want to just go for it!

Good luck to you in your job search, I hope you get something sorted soon.

There do seem to be vacancies at York ROC advertised fairly frequently on the internal list. I’m not sure if we’re encouraged to divulge internal vacancies on here but there are currently 6 jobs advertised within 20 miles of York, if that’s where’s you’re based. Whether these will eventually be moved to the ROC I’m not sure, but there are certainly more positions available for current NR employees.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Defenestrate

Just been offered my first signaller job. This was the 6th interview I've had this year, as well as numerous other applications that didn't get that far, and my first success!

I post this as encouragement to anyone out there - don't give up...you can succeed with the right positive attitude.

My first signaller interview (back in April) seemed to go really well...but looking back I now see just how far off I was from giving the best possible answers. Lots of practice on interview technique, revision of safety related stuff, the 8 non technical skills and polishing some decent examples and i'm due to start in December (subject to all the paperwork being completed).

Kauto5

Congratulations!

Did you search and apply through the network rail website or are there other sources for signaller jobs?

Defenestrate

Congratulations!

Did you search and apply through the network rail website or are there other sources for signaller jobs?

I'm fairly sure that the only place for signaller jobs is via the NR site - I've seen the same jobs advertised via secondary job sites, but nothing "new", and often with less information!

Kauto5

Ah ok thanks very much for your reply! I've been checking twice per day for the last 3 weeks and seen nothing on there so far but I'll keep checking!

Your post is great motivation and encouragement!

Defenestrate

Ah ok thanks very much for your reply! I've been checking twice per day for the last 3 weeks and seen nothing on there so far but I'll keep checking!

Do you mean nothing suitable/nearby....or no signaller jobs?!
I'd only search for "signaller" - forget the salary or distance options, they're unreliable in my opinion.

Chaz T

Just been offered my first signaller job. This was the 6th interview I've had this year, as well as numerous other applications that didn't get that far, and my first success!

I post this as encouragement to anyone out there - don't give up...you can succeed with the right positive attitude.

My first signaller interview (back in April) seemed to go really well...but looking back I now see just how far off I was from giving the best possible answers. Lots of practice on interview technique, revision of safety related stuff, the 8 non technical skills and polishing some decent examples and i'm due to start in December (subject to all the paperwork being completed).

Congratulations.

Your post has given me hope. Mind you, I haven't even managed to secure an interview yet. But 3 letters of rejection was making me wonder if I was barking up the wrong tree trying to become a signaller.

I have done everything that I can to present the best possible representation of why I am a suitable candidate. Perseverance seems to be the key.

Defenestrate

Congratulations.

Your post has given me hope. Mind you, I haven't even managed to secure an interview yet. But 3 letters of rejection was making me wonder if I was barking up the wrong tree trying to become a signaller.

I have done everything that I can to present the best possible representation of why I am a suitable candidate. Perseverance seems to be the key.

Don't give up - I was pretty exasperated but knew I was getting closer...It felt like I applied for almost everything!
So, I don't know about your test scores - but they cannot be altered for months anyway. But, over the months I updated and improved my CV several times, I wrote a detailed covering letter (not sure if they even looked at it) and consistently upgraded my answers to the 69 questions - even answering a few that I didn't think I could do initially. I noticed that recently my conversion from applied jobs to interviews has gone up significantly - after the latest update to my 69 answers.

This combined with the looking at the 8 non technical skills, safety and taking on board the other interview experience meant that I was prepared to give the answers that they wanted in my successful interview.

It's possible!

Jaysub

Don't give up - I was pretty exasperated but knew I was getting closer...It felt like I applied for almost everything!
So, I don't know about your test scores - but they cannot be altered for months anyway. But, over the months I updated and improved my CV several times, I wrote a detailed covering letter (not sure if they even looked at it) and consistently upgraded my answers to the 69 questions - even answering a few that I didn't think I could do initially. I noticed that recently my conversion from applied jobs to interviews has gone up significantly - after the latest update to my 69 answers.

This combined with the looking at the 8 non technical skills, safety and taking on board the other interview experience meant that I was prepared to give the answers that they wanted in my successful interview.

It's possible!

Thats great motivation,applied for lots since last year and it does make you wana give up...

had 2 interviews start of the year back in February and still waiting,it was still for experience,just need to nail them and actually get one which hard at the moment!

Congrats though

Jaysub

I'm currently on 'invite to assessment 2 pending' for lancing.
Only my 9th application, and potentially my first interview.

Yea same,just wondered who else had applied,been over 4 weeks now...

Hopefully hear something in the next 2!

ljmac

Question for any current signaller or nr employees.
What should I wear on my first day? Theres no mention of anything other than to report to the signal box

TRain87

Smart jeans, plain tshirt or jumper! Boots or smart trainers...don't turn up scruffy, wait until you're settled before you do that

TRain87

When I went to signalling school, I was based at Basingstoke ROC, so went with the 'first impressions count' basis! So o were shoes, trousers, shirt and tie...after a week I lost the tie, but still maintained shirt and trousers - as the place was always crawling with managers! After about 6 weeks, I took advantage of dress down Friday and wore jeans and a tshirt.

I recently went to MOM school in York, and wore jeans and tshirt every day! When signalling I wore jogging bottoms and work top usually...very casual :)

As MOM I wear oranges now anyway, so no issues there

High Dyke

Established Member
Hi everyone.

Brilliant thread this for those like me on the outside of the industry looking to get in. Thank you to everyone who contributes and offers so much help for us hopefulls.

From what I can gather, is it only network rail where signaller jobs are advertised? I've recently found a trainee signalling engineer vacancy in Manchester on Indeed Jobs, probably a stupid question but is that a completely different job?
Yes, it is a different job. The signalling engineer will be a technicians job in the maintenance section, the 'sugar & tea' brigade. It can be a rewarding job, but also demanding - i.e. working outside in all weathers maintaining new and not so new equipment.

P200E

It's possible!
Hi when you say you changed your answers, is that in new applications or can you amend previous applications? Cheers

Chumba

2 years trying
10 applications at 5 different boxes
5 interviews (6th offered but won’t be going and came 2nd on three occasions)
Finally I’ve been offered a Signaller role!

And the best thing it’s at my first choice box which also happens to be the closest to home :)

No idea as to start date yet have to wait for the HR machine to kick in but hopefully signalling school early next year.

To say I’m happy is an understatement ! Reading these forums, people’s advice and experience definitely helped. So thank you to everyone who’s contributed.

Last edited:

Chumba

Hi when you say you changed your answers, is that in new applications or can you amend previous applications? Cheers

Every application is a fresh one, they use whatever CV is already loaded into your job account (which you can change) but the 69 questions need to be done every time, so each application you can have different answers to the questions. I kept the 69 question examples on a word document and just cut and pasted them into every different application. Although I did tweak them occasionally.

Habitat

2 years trying
10 applications at 5 different boxes
5 interviews (6th offered but won’t be going and came 2nd on three occasions)
Finally I’ve been offered a Signaller role!

And the best thing it’s at my first choice box which also happens to be the closest to home :)

No idea as to start date yet have to wait for the HR machine to kick in but hopefully signalling school early next year.

To say I’m happy is an understatement ! Reading these forums, people’s advice and experience definitely helped. So thank you to everyone who’s contributed.

Awesome work!
Congratulations, that's great news!

Qball

You normally have a school date then the week before you do induction and visit your box.

Last edited:

TomBoyd

Jobs get updated on Wednesdays.

Mark12

Long term lurker posting for the first time. Just wanted to pass my thanks as this forum has been invaluable with information with applications and interviews over the past 10 months. Haven’t got there quite yet but have been a reserve candidate (the other person took the job) and have a number of applications at “application under consideration for assessment 2”.

A quick question regarding this is how long can an application stay at “application under consideration for assessment 2”? I’ve had 2 roles based at Didcot like this since April this year which seems quite long. I’m presuming they have been filled or delayed due to lack of signaller school space (that I have read about on this forum). Thanks again and keep up the good work supporting each other

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
TVSC tens to use talent pools very successfully so your app could well sit at Assessment 2 for a considerable time.

Habitat

Start date is 14/10 but I don't have a school date yet. Did you have a separate start date?

I start a week before, I'm to meet my LOM at his office on the Monday morning.
Then start school the following Monday