• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Lasbrisas

Thanks Dom. Mine too was grades 2-4 but was back in March and for up north in Yorkshire. You have given me confidence that something will eventually come it, however. Patience is a virtue I suppose. Good luck with the next stage.
I am under consideration for assessment 2 for 3 different applications, my question is do they look at how far away you are from the location applied for as being a shift environment they will want you to turn up ontime.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Dom68

I am under consideration for assessment 2 for 3 different applications, my question is do they look at how far away you are from the location applied for as being a shift environment they will want you to turn up ontime.

fairly sure on my previous applications they asked whether I lived within an hours travel time to the location, I guess they wouldn't have asked if it wasn't a consideration? Good luck with your App's .

Drh78

Anyone out there currently working as a signaller for NR?

I've been reading some posts on here and people are saying that you can move up the scale as a signaller quite quickly, is this still the case?

They've advertised for a signaller on their site today, based in Evesham. If I apply and was successful, can I move up the pay scale? Do they still
advertise more jobs internally?

Cheers

Llanigraham

On Moderation
If what you say is true- if you needed the money, why would anyone want to work at a lower grade if they were more than capable of working at a higher one?

Because getting into a Gr2 Box is a first step into the system.
Because the only vacancies in the area are at a lower grade Box.
Because that is all they want to do.

Your comments suggest you know little about the job or it's progression.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Anyone out there currently working as a signaller for NR?
Retired but still in touch with working colleagues.

I've been reading some posts on here and people are saying that you can move up the scale as a signaller quite quickly, is this still the case?
Seems that NR have no put a moratorium on new starters moving within a certain period (an apprenticeship!) but once out of that movement is still possible.

They've advertised for a signaller on their site today, based in Evesham. If I apply and was successful, can I move up the pay scale? Do they still advertise more jobs internally?

Yes, but in that area, only if you are willing to commute or move.
Vacancies seem to be advertised internally first and then if not enough applicants go external.

Sunset route

Established Member
If what you say is true- if you needed the money, why would anyone want to work at a lower grade if they were more than capable of working at a higher one?

Never make the mistake that you are more than capable at any level. To cock assure on the opps floor and your colleagues will just leave you to swing by your own rope, more humble and ability to learn from your peers will win you respect as well as your ability to deal with complex failures and engineering work.

In the nearly 20 yrs I've been a grade 9, we have not had a single recruit from signalling school that has arrived at our place prepared for the share intensity of the level of work, not to mention there are huge gaps in their knowledge base at a basic level that makes teaching a new recruit very stressful compared to a promotional move.

But also we have had some signallers who have won promotion who were punching well above their weight that needed a lot of guidance to make you feel confident to work along side them.

At the moment we seem to have a one size fits all approach to recruiting signallers from grade 1 to grade 9, compared to old test that put the recruit into capability bands level 1 = grade 1 (crossing keeper), level 2 = signaller grades 2,3 & 4 and level 3 = signaller grades 5, 6, 7, 8 & 9. The grade or rate of pay you get as said elsewhere is based on the grade of the signalbox/centre you work at not how well you did passing the acceptance test or signalling school tests. If you feel your better than you have to apply for promotion (after your year of probation) along with everyone else, that is the current system.

MylesHSG

I agree Sunset Route. I am a grade 3 signaller in a lever frame box and did exactly the same training as a grade 9 on a computerized system. We all learnt on NX panel, but none of the 10 trainees were going to a box with NX.

Drh78

Llanigraham thanks for your reply, from someone soon to be an ex-bobby!

High Dyke

Established Member
Seems that NR have no put a moratorium on new starters moving within a certain period (an apprenticeship!) but once out of that movement is still possible.

Yes, but in that area, only if you are willing to commute or move.
Vacancies seem to be advertised internally first and then if not enough applicants go external.
Ah yes the apprenticeship... an attempt by management to get staff onto new terms and conditions and erode things like PTR+R, for one thing. Now off my trade union soapbox.

Yes they do have a limit on travelling, but some are willing to move nearer to the vacancy in question. Ironically a couple of jobs in my area attracted applicants from outside the travelling criteria, but HR insisted they still had to be interviewed.

To refer to another post when i attended the signalling course I was merely stepping up from a grade 1 to a grade 2, but there was someone on the course straight off the street going into a job at West Hampstead PSB.

Johnny Depot

Hi all - I am happy to find out that I passed the initial online tests and have been informed my application is under consideration. I have read others post that this can be a long process. It's been just over a week or so - so I haven't waited but my question is .. shall I sit tight and wait?

TRain87

Hi all - I am happy to find out that I passed the initial online tests and have been informed my application is under consideration. I have read others post that this can be a long process. It's been just over a week or so - so I haven't waited but my question is .. shall I sit tight and wait?

Yes.....wait and wait and wait!

Johnny Depot

That bad? Ha. Thanks for the response.

I know some recruitment processes I have dealt with are so sought after you need to take a proactive effort and follow up your application but if this is just how things operate I am happy to sit tight.

Supernaut

Yes... it seems like a long process, I'm into the 3rd month since passing the initial online tests, being at the status of 'Application Under Consideration' throughout this period. There is also no guarantee of an interview, which is pretty deflating. All we can do is hope for the best.

TRain87

Yes... it seems like a long process, I'm into the 3rd month since passing the initial online tests, being at the status of 'Application Under Consideration' throughout this period. There is also no guarantee of an interview, which is pretty deflating. All we can do is hope for the best.

Everyone that passes is then sent to the LOM, The LOM then picks the top few for interview, so your score needs to be high to be selected for interview. But if you're not selected for one position because your score isn't high enough, doesn't mean you won't be successful in all positions! Good luck and hang in there!

Supernaut

Would anyone be aware of the likelihood of signalling positions, of any grade, being open for external applicants at York ROC (or the surrounding area)? In the 6+ months I've been keeping an eye-out, only the current opening at Kirkham has cropped up.

As that is a fixed-term contract till June 2018 (so less than a year) it wouldn't seem open to new entrants due to the Signaller Apprenticeship Programme being 12 months. Or am I incorrect in that assumption?

Thanks

SmokeAndJoe

Would anyone be aware of the likelihood of signalling positions, of any grade, being open for external applicants at York ROC (or the surrounding area)? In the 6+ months I've been keeping an eye-out, only the current opening at Kirkham has cropped up.

As that is a fixed-term contract till June 2018 (so less than a year) it wouldn't seem open to new entrants due to the Signaller Apprenticeship Programme being 12 months. Or am I incorrect in that assumption?

Thanks

No idea about York, but go for it. Don't worry about the 12/18 months, it's unlikely they'd take you on then let you go.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

Thanks

Network Rail spend close to £80,000 recruiting and training each candidate, the chances of being laid off after the contract ends is so small it's not worth the worry.

Once your in, you have access to the internal vacancy list which at this mownnf in time has over 40 locations requiring signallers, a fair number looking for a number at the same location.

It's not just Grade 1-5 jobs, there are a number of grade 6-10 jobs on offer to.

baz962

Established Member
Hi all I wonder if anyone can help me I'm currently in the trainee train driver process passed two assessment days just sweating on my mmi and sjt results. If I fail these could I try for signalling or would my results carry over any help would be appreciated

signallerscot

Hi all I wonder if anyone can help me I'm currently in the trainee train driver process passed two assessment days just sweating on my mmi and sjt results. If I fail these could I try for signalling or would my results carry over any help would be appreciated
The signaller's assessments are different from the driver's assessments so the latter don't count towards the former. However - a job as a signaller isn't a sort of consolation prize awarded to people who fail the train driver's assessments. Only apply if you actually understand what the job entails and want to do it.

baz962

Established Member
Oh absolutely I wouldn't do a job I didn't think I could or didn't think I would enjoy I truly believe safety comes before my pride or dreams etc . I didn't know too much about a signallers job and still don't but I was reading posts on here and almost every signaller says the job is good and worthwhile. That is the most important aspect and it's quite well remunerated which although not the highest priority is also a good factor . The posts on here have all been positive and although I have not failed as I have passed all tests just waiting on mmi result and if failed get another go I have found my interest piqued almost to the point of maybe applying instead

Lasbrisas

Ok after applying for multiple signalling roles I have been given an interview date at Woking ASC. I am aware of the 8 non technical skills, can anyone give me advice on the interview process as it has been some 30 years since my last one !