• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

7Paul7

I got an email just after completing the tests to ask me to select a preferred location. It only allowed one selection so I emailed HR and they added a few to my file as I’m in the catchment for numerous locations. Not sure it matters though if we are just encouraged to apply for roles post signaller school.
Ah, I never completed the tests , for this role at least, they were on file from previous applications. Maybe I fell through a crack in the system

LaheyTPS

I'm on the same intake and am reporting to Darlington
Hi, I'm on the 27/4 York intake also but as yet haven't received any details whatsoever regarding where to report etc, can I ask when did you receive your instructions and was it via email, post or phone call? Thanks.

7Paul7

Hi, I'm on the 27/4 York intake also but as yet haven't received any details whatsoever regarding where to report etc, can I ask when did you receive your instructions and was it via email, post or phone call? Thanks.

It was via email I recieved a mail on the 10th March stating I had passed all pre employment checks which I had to reply to to say I still was ok to start on the 27th April, I then recieved joining instructions on the 11th March

Javagem

I got it by email on 17/3, there was a delay with mine as they’d had my medical results but nobody has checked them until I chased it up.

LaheyTPS

My medical was meant to be last week but was cancelled because of this virus, hopefully they will still allow me to start on the 27th. The occupational health company told me network rail were aware that medicals had been cancelled and were going to make alternative arrangements but I have heard nothing and now it seems no one is answering the phones to find out. Starting to panic now!!

Javagem

My medical was meant to be last week but was cancelled because of this virus, hopefully they will still allow me to start on the 27th. The occupational health company told me network rail were aware that medicals had been cancelled and were going to make alternative arrangements but I have heard nothing and now it seems no one is answering the phones to find out. Starting to panic now!!
Have you emailed the recruitment team? They’re pretty good at coming back quickly in my experience.

Sunset route

Established Member
Would you be able to send the roster to me also please Sunset?

I note that in your very first post that you said that you’ve applied for a role as a signaller in TBROC, whilst I work in TBASC so passing on my roster will be no good to you.

A note to all potential new recruits applying for signallers vacancies in Crawley, that TBASC and TBROC are entirely two different buildings in two different locations within the Three Bridges area of Crawley and have totally different interfaces for controlling trains.

Last edited:

7Paul7

I would phone the recruitment team ASAP and see what the plan is to be honest, hopefully will see you on the 3rd of May

T 0330 855 1140

ryan__84

I’m also due to start on 27th April... been told to report to Wakefield Kirkgate at 9am. That was my preferred location as it’s the closest to where I live..... in Cheshire!!!

Was planning on relocating after the 12 week course as it’s currently a 90 min drive from home to Wakefield

Anyone heard anything about the 12 week course and if it’s likely to go ahead at York as planned on 4th May?

Don’t fancy driving 90 mins to Wakefield every day... renting at the min and tenancy agreement not up until July.

Could be racking up a hefty B&B bill if based at Wakefield sooner than expected

railwanabe

Do you learn ASC and ROC in school?

From what I’ve been reading it is not uncommon to apply for a nearer location to you just before completing school? Is this common or only if the oppurnity arises.

What is the process for applying for another location, somebody earlier have said whole application process again, but others have said just interview.

7Paul7

I’m also due to start on 27th April... been told to report to Wakefield Kirkgate at 9am. That was my preferred location as it’s the closest to where I live..... in Cheshire!!!

Was planning on relocating after the 12 week course as it’s currently a 90 min drive from home to Wakefield

Anyone heard anything about the 12 week course and if it’s likely to go ahead at York as planned on 4th May?

Don’t fancy driving 90 mins to Wakefield every day... renting at the min and tenancy agreement not up until July.

You'll be lucky to find a B&B surely? I think if they can run the course they will but again finding accommodation in York for 30? People could be tricky unless there is a relaxation of the social distancing before then,

Is e-learning a viable option for signalling school? Is it a case of classroom work then needing to be backed up on the simulator or could the simulator time be left till towards the end of the full course?

Newbie70

I know that holiday inn in york is still open and taking bookings if you consider the trip essential, as I too am looking for somewhere to stay for the week of induction

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

From what I’ve been reading it is not uncommon to apply for a nearer location to you just before completing school? Is this common or only if the oppurnity arises.

What is the process for applying for another location, somebody earlier have said whole application process again, but others have said just interview.

ASC - Area Signalling Centre
ROC - Rail Operations Control Centre

There buildings, you’ll learn either AB - absolute block, TCB - track circuit block, or IECC - integrated electronic control centre those are the three courses at school.

The latter two are the same, just taught in different systems.

Once you’ve qualified and want to move location or up a grade you’ll generally have to apply and sit an interview - however if you want to move same grade links in the same location this can be done when a vacancy comes up with a letter to your LOM.

Sunset route

Established Member

You will learn all the basic rules that you will need at signalling school regardless of whether your operating levers & bells, switches, buttons or keyboard & mouse. If you pass out at signalling school then you learn location specific equipment and rules at your chosen location of work.

superseven

I note that in your very first post that you said that you’ve applied for a role as a signaller in TBROC, whilst I work in TBASC so passing on my roster will be no good to you.

A note to all potential new recruits applying for signallers vacancies in Crawley, that TBASC and TBROC are entirely two different buildings in two different locations within the Three Bridges area of Crawley and have totally different interfaces for controlling trains.

My bad, It's the ASC position(s), late night, lots going on.

LaheyTPS

I would phone the recruitment team ASAP and see what the plan is to be honest, hopefully will see you on the 3rd of May

T 0330 855 1140
Hi. Thanks but there is no answer on that number anymore. Gonna try e - mailing as suggested by another user.

Wanderer84

Hey guys. I had an interview for Crewe/Chester future opportunities, a couple of weeks ago. Unfortunately, they've withdrawn the role. :'(

I am currently under consideration for assessment 2, for Whitehaven.

I've also noticed that the vacancies for Chinley where due to close on 27th march, but are still available... Any news on that?

Newbie70

To all on the york 4th may signaller school, I received this this morning:
The plan is still to go ahead with induction into the business on the 27th April, however the start of signalling school will only go ahead if it is deemed safe. Signalling school was due to start of 4th May, if it cannot go ahead everyone will be sent to local signalling boxes with a trained signaller until school can begin safely.

Javagem

The plan is still to go ahead with induction into the business on the 27th April, however the start of signalling school will only go ahead if it is deemed safe. Signalling school was due to start of 4th May, if it cannot go ahead everyone will be sent to local signalling boxes with a trained signaller until school can begin safely.
Thanks for the update!

7Paul7

Have you contacted them to get this?

9tfrizzco

Similar situation to me except 4 hours and not 90 minutes. Not quite sure what I am going to do yet if the 12 week course doesn't go ahead