• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
To all on the york 4th may signaller school, I received this this morning:
The plan is still to go ahead with induction into the business on the 27th April, however the start of signalling school will only go ahead if it is deemed safe. Signalling school was due to start of 4th May, if it cannot go ahead everyone will be sent to local signalling boxes with a trained signaller until school can begin safely.

I wonder how the trained signaller will feel with this set up?

I wouldn’t be having anyone with me at the moment, or at least keeping the regulation two meters - quite a challenge in a small signal cabin!

Sunset route

Established Member
To all on the york 4th may signaller school, I received this this morning:
The plan is still to go ahead with induction into the business on the 27th April, however the start of signalling school will only go ahead if it is deemed safe. Signalling school was due to start of 4th May, if it cannot go ahead everyone will be sent to local signalling boxes with a trained signaller until school can begin safelyf

Not at my signalling centre as long as the lockdown is on, if your not a productive signaller or shift manager, then your not allowed into the building let alone the operations floor. That goes for All LOM,s OMs in fact any management, or other grades and all trainee signallers regardless of state of their learning.

Last edited:

7Paul7

I wouldn’t be having anyone with me at the moment, or at least keeping the regulation two meters - quite a challenge in a small signal cabin!

Not just the trained signaller also myself and the other trainees have the same right to maintain social distances until such a time as done lifting of current advice occurs

9tfrizzco

Just received an e-mail saying signaller school is re starting next week for all candidates and so still due to go ahead- perhaps with smaller class sizes. Also to bear with them and wait for clarification

amanda08

Could anyone tell me, if I upload an amended CV to nwr, will the new CV then show up to HR for jobs ALREADY applied for? I've got quite a few at the test passed stage and it would be great if my new CV replaced the existing for these open applications. Thanks

LOM

Could anyone tell me, if I upload an amended CV to nwr, will the new CV then show up to HR for jobs ALREADY applied for? I've got quite a few at the test passed stage and it would be great if my new CV replaced the existing for these open applications. Thanks

I am 99% sure it will not.

9tfrizzco

I read here that the new one will be seen as long you put it up before they begin considering your application, rather than your initial one getting 'sent' and locked-in with your application. Not sure though. Maybe it could vary

LOM

I read here that the new one will be seen as long you put it up before they begin considering your application, rather than your initial one getting 'sent' and locked-in with your application. Not sure though. Maybe it could vary
The hiring manager can read your CV as soon as you submit your application. The ‘under consideration’ status shows to the candidate until the auto-sift is completed but the hiring manager has access to the CV the whole time.

Last edited:

MrsP2010

My other half is a signaller in a double manned box and he's just been told that wef today they are going to single manned for the foreseeable to avoid contact. I've applied for a role in a small box and he's said there's no way I could be trained in the box as it's just too small to keep 2m apart. I'd be very surprised if trainees would be allowed in a box, regardless of the size, if the regular signallers aren't working together!

railwanabe

I have done my online assesment and have passed the benchmark.’can anybody advise the next steps is the interview the last stage or are there more tests to come?

7Paul7

Just received an e-mail saying signaller school is re starting next week for all candidates and so still due to go ahead- perhaps with smaller class sizes. Also to bear with them and wait for clarification

It's also worth noting that there was 4 courses ongoing at York when the school shutdown - Groups at week 3, week 6, week 7 and a week 9. I would imagine these will be first back when the school does re-open.

Assuming these are correct then a fresh class commencing on 4th May seems viable

High Dyke

Established Member

Well said. I'm thinking it's a suggestion that the TU reps need to be asking for clarification on, bearing in mind that currently access to signal boxes is now restricted to essential personnel; even for MOMs and LOMs.

In my area we've got a situation where there's been a signalman who must be accompanied, for medical reasons when on duty. Imagine the fun there...

High Dyke

Established Member
Could anybody tell me any information on the medical please, do you have to have a medical every year once in post?
Only if you're over 60 years of age. It's every ten years up to the age of 45, then every five years to age 60. Other times you may be sent for a medical are after a long period of illness or had certain types of surgery, that may affect your ability to carry out safety critical duties.

amanda08

One of my open applications (for Appleby) went from test completed, to application withdrawn today. As I didn't withdraw the application myself, does this just mean the position is no longer available? I have not received an email about it/
Thanks

One of my open applications (for Appleby) went from test completed, to application withdrawn today. As I didn't withdraw the application myself, does this just mean the position is no longer available? I have not received an email about it/
Thanks

Pretty much. I think there have been a number of these recently, but hopefully they will be re-advertised once all of this is over

Mi&Li

Thank you. I was worried I may have accidentally hit the "withdraw application" button myself -_- !

I’ve had the same email today. I did wonder about that advert though, because as it said Appleby - Scunthorpe it also said North West. So I wasn’t sure if it was listed as the correct Appleby (Lincolnshire or Cumbria). I would be surprised if Appleby Lincolnshire needed 3 positions filling at once

Dunc7615

Hi guys I’m looking for some help. Been applying for various signaller roles in and around Cumbria for the last year but as yet no interview. Made it to application under consideration for assessment 2 for the grade 2 Northwest roles but heard today application unsuccessful. I’m coming up on 57 beginning to think my age might be against me. Is it time to give up. Thanks

Daveyboy2407

Hi, I've just recently done the SJH test online for a grade 2 signaller job and I've received an email saying I have passed. Can anyone tell me what happens now in regards to any further tests or a possible interview. Many thanks.

Kraken

One thing that I’m interested is how signallers maintain their attention and diligence is situations of extended routine running.
I’ve read a few reports and watched a video or two about signallers causing fatalities on level crossings or SPADs where the signal is changed to Danger immediately in front of a train. It must be highly challenging not to slip into ‘Autopilot’ and that is something I find a bit worrying. What techniques do people in the job use to maintain their concentration?

WoollyMammoth

Hi guys I’m looking for some help. Been applying for various signaller roles in and around Cumbria for the last year but as yet no interview. Made it to application under consideration for assessment 2 for the grade 2 Northwest roles but heard today application unsuccessful. I’m coming up on 57 beginning to think my age might be against me. Is it time to give up. Thanks

Dunc,

Unlucky mate, don’t be disheartened as I have seen a lot of people on here in later years joining as a signaller. You can search this thread for plenty of others in the same situation.

Unfortunately it seems like they are postponing and withdrawing a few positions due to the current climate so keep giving it a go!