• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sunset route

Established Member
Talking of medicals, as an existing member of staff i failed my medical earlier this year because of very high blood pressure, if your systolic (the higher number) is excessively high you will fail but it’s the diastolic (the lower number) they watch more closely and anything above 95 will fail you. I’m happy to report that I’m well below these figures these days and back signalling trains.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ILoveLamp

Possibly a silly question, I reckon LOM likely best candidate for this one.. If another position advertises at a SB that you already have an application in for should/can you apply for the new post as it has a different IRC no or would this be all sorts of wrong!!??

danners430

I know times are hard but maybe you could try feeding it Pedigree Chum?
Lol, if only... She's on a restricted diet due to allergies... She's more annoyed at the constant walking - I think she's part cat, likes it more when we're out the house most of the day...

She'd love it if I got a 12-hour roster box!

amanda08

Possibly a silly question, I reckon LOM likely best candidate for this one.. If another position advertises at a SB that you already have an application in for should/can you apply for the new post as it has a different IRC no or would this be all sorts of wrong!!??
I did just this. Applied for both resident and relief in the same box. Got interviewed for both and now have been offered the relief post.
I was originally reserve candidate. Whilst waiting to hear if I’d gotten the role, four more positions were advertised in the same box. My LOM recommended I apply if I was not successful as reserve.
So I’d say go for it.

Rover77

Signaller- Grange SB (NW) FP (24%)

Can anyone help me out here. What does the FP 24% mean?
thanks

Rigchick

I've applied 3 times for the same box while other applications have been open. It's finally paid off as I've been offered a job. Go for it!

TRain87

thanks
Or if you're serious about joining network rail, as a signaller, read this thread from page 1 and all the answers are there!

Amy1090

Hey everyone.
I have been offered Knottingley SB, aiming for a start date of 5th October. I have read through this entire thread and it has been really helpful so thank you:D I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about Knottingley and the shift rosters too? Thank you!!:p

Mi&Li

Yeah my offer is on a 12 month FTC and my offer states I have to apply for a permanent role during this time ☺
How does that work then, being offered Knottingley? Is this where you will be training or where you have been asked to apply to?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

thanks

I felt a little sorry for you, I do agree with the posts in reply though...

24% is the yearly premium the lucky candidate will get on top of their base salary for working multiple SB.

So it is Grade X salary plus 24% on top to bring you to the total base salary.

Amy1090

How does that work then, being offered Knottingley? Is this where you will be training or where you have been asked to apply to?
They said that after the 12 weeks signalling school I will be based at knottingley getting the box training, and be posted there until I get a permanent position elsewhere ☺️

Mi&Li

They said that after the 12 weeks signalling school I will be based at knottingley getting the box training, and be posted there until I get a permanent position elsewhere ☺
Ah OK I see, thanks. Congratulations as well!!

Rover77

I felt a little sorry for you, I do agree with the posts in reply though...

24% is the yearly premium the lucky candidate will get on top of their base salary for working multiple SB.

So it is Grade X salary plus 24% on top to bring you to the total base salary.
Thankyou for your reply and support. I have had a long hard look at myself in the mirror and I promise not to be so lazy in the future and waste peoples time with stupid questions.

danners430

Thankyou for your reply and support. I have had a long hard look at myself in the mirror and I promise not to be so lazy in the future and waste peoples time with stupid questions.
Don't be - remember that the only stupid question is the one not asked. It does help to do a quick search first, but don't be put off to use this amazing resource and font of knowledge!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Not a stupid question, it’s just been asked quite a few times over the last 3 or 4 pages.

People say go back to page one and read through but that’ll take longer than the recruitment process !

I’d go back to say posts from Jan 2020, that’s more than manageable and will provide current information on the whole process.

Rover77

Don't be - remember that the only stupid question is the one not asked. It does help to do a quick search first, but don't be put off to use this amazing resource and font of knowledge!
Thanks. I have now used the search facility and looked through this thread. I do have another question. Will the wage plus 24% annual base salary be the actual take home pay or do FP roles still accrue shift allowances/overtime?
Thanks

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thanks. I have now used the search facility and looked through this thread. I do have another question. Will the wage plus 24% annual base salary be the actual take home pay or do FP roles still accrue shift allowances/overtime?
Thanks

Each payday (13 per year) you’ll get your basic salary + FP divided by 13.

On top you’ll get any Sunday’s you’ve worked (FP Relief don’t get booked Sunday’s, but get first dibs on them if uncovered), you’ll also get night allowance (if youve worked any) and finally any RDW (overtime).

FP isn’t payable on RDW turns only booked turns.

High Dyke

Established Member
Thanks
It would also accrue shift allowances/overtime payment, where necessary. The FP isn't paid for Sunday or Rest Day Worked turns. Basically the position will mean travel up to 30 miles from the base location of the job, covering numerous signal boxes.

SiggysigAah

It would also accrue shift allowances/overtime payment, where necessary. The FP isn't paid for Sunday or Rest Day Worked turns. Basically the position will mean travel up to 30 miles from the base location of the job, covering numerous signal boxes.
If you apply and the base box is less than 60 minutes commute from your home, but the other boxes further away would put you over a 60 minute commute. Would that be taken into account by HR / LOM or not?

High Dyke

Established Member
If you apply and the base box is less than 60 minutes commute from your home, but the other boxes further away would put you over a 60 minute commute. Would that be taken into account by HR / LOM or not?
I'm not certain. I live 15 miles from my base location. The furthest box I cover is 29 miles from the base location, but obviously further from home. So whilst I'm inside the required mileage/travel time from the base location, it can be about an hour and forty minutes travel, on a good day, to reach my furthest box from home.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Kick your arse into gear and crack on with another app ASAP.

it’s the only way you’ll get the job many dozens of applications...I kid you not.

Billyc87

Kick your arse into gear and crack on with another app ASAP.

it’s the only way you’ll get the job many dozens of applications...I kid you not.
Only problem is I can’t apply for anything more than an hour from my home. Puts me at a bit of a disadvantage

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Temporarily relocate? I lodged at my first SB for 14 months, where there is a will there is a way as they say.

Billyc87

I could but my girlfriend wouldn’t be too happy and she is the main earner, will have to just continue to apply locally and hopefully get somewhere