• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Only problem is I can’t apply for anything more than an hour from my home. Puts me at a bit of a disadvantage
Either you're willing to relocate (permanently or temporarily) or you're not. If you can temporarily lodge/rent etc then apply away. If not, then yeah only apply within an hour, but you are at no more disadvantage than anyone else in the same situation - you may just have to wait longer for one to come up on the job board.
You can't be a signaller working from home, so it's not a personal disadvantage against you, it's just life!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Billyc87

Yes will just have to accept it may not be the job for me unless I get 1 within an hour, signalling school would be fine as it’s only 3 months.

89jordanbj

Only problem is I can’t apply for anything more than an hour from my home. Puts me at a bit of a disadvantage
As Tom said there is the option to temporarily relocate, even it is just renting during your block of shifts (makes more sense if its a 12 hour roster). I have a couple of applications in where I will be doing this if I am successful - I include a cover letter explaining why I think I am suitable for the role and my intentions of relocation so that the LOM is aware. Luckily my partner if very understanding that it is a career I really want so if I am to be away for a few days at a time then so be it. She is even happy to permanently relocate.

Unfortunately you may be waiting years for positions to come up locally.

Hey everyone.
I have been offered Knottingley SB, aiming for a start date of 5th October. I have read through this entire thread and it has been really helpful so thank you:D I was wondering if anyone could tell me a bit more about Knottingley and the shift rosters too? Thank you!!:p
Congrats on the offer!
I can't help with shifts or box details (although, honestly I didn't know there was a box in Knottingley) but I'm pretty local to the area and I've lucky enough to have been offered Ferrybridge SB, starting 5th Oct, so we are neighbours. If you want any local info let me know.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I could but my girlfriend wouldn’t be too happy and she is the main earner, will have to just continue to apply locally and hopefully get somewhere

Where are you if you don’t mind me asking?
Tell her you could earn up to £100,000 that’s lots of shoes and handbags I’m sure she’ll change her mind lol

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Either you're willing to relocate (permanently or temporarily) or you're not. If you can temporarily lodge/rent etc then apply away. If not, then yeah only apply within an hour, but you are at no more disadvantage than anyone else in the same situation - you may just have to wait longer for one to come up on the job board.
You can't be a signaller working from home, so it's not a personal disadvantage against you, it's just life!

Talking about working from home there’re plenty of armchair signallers about....

Rover77

It would also accrue shift allowances/overtime payment, where necessary. The FP isn't paid for Sunday or Rest Day Worked turns. Basically the position will mean travel up to 30 miles from the base location of the job, covering numerous signal boxes.
Thanks to those who have answered. The base box in 40 mins from home. Having researched the role I really believe I would make a good signaller. It is not all about the money but as a Dad of 2 ofcourse it is an important consideration. I know it is a bit of a how long is a piece of string answer but what is a ball park figure of what I could earn?

High Dyke

Established Member
Thanks to those who have answered. The base box in 40 mins from home. Having researched the role I really believe I would make a good signaller. I know it is a bit of a how long is a piece of string answer but what is a ball park figure of what I could earn?
Difficult to suggest a figure. I don't know what grade the box is. I'm a grade 3 signalman. Last year I earned about £12,000 above the base salary+FP. However, that all depends on the amount of overtime or Rest Day working you do. Essentially I could merely work a 4-day week if I wanted, without any overtime/RDW/Sundays, but the take home pay would reflect that.

As for travel. I'm aware of some resident signallers that currently travel about 50 miles to work, and in the past colleagues have commuted 100 odd miles or so to London.

Yorks1179

I’ve just applied for the GPR post based at Wakefield Kirkgate. Could anyone let me know which boxes are covered by this relief?

Thanks

SiggysigAah

Difficult to suggest a figure. I don't know what grade the box is. I'm a grade 3 signalman. Last year I earned about £12,000 above the base salary+FP. However, that all depends on the amount of overtime or Rest Day working you do. Essentially I could merely work a 4-day week if I wanted, without any overtime/RDW/Sundays, but the take home pay would reflect that.

As for travel. I'm aware of some resident signallers that currently travel about 50 miles to work, and in the past colleagues have commuted 100 odd miles or so to London.
I guess the role Rover is asking about is Grade 3 +24%FP.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thanks to those who have answered. The base box in 40 mins from home. Having researched the role I really believe I would make a good signaller. It is not all about the money but as a Dad of 2 ofcourse it is an important consideration. I know it is a bit of a how long is a piece of string answer but what is a ball park figure of what I could earn?

I know where your coming from, father of three teenagers who all want to go to uni!

Like others have said I really does depend on how open you are to RDW and Sunday’s really.

Grade 3 + 24% is £40762 basic, that’s without ANY overtime, Sunday’s or even night allowance.

Remember once your in, you have access to that magical internal list.

invicta

Hi All

Apologies if this question has been asked before, I did a quick search but couldn't see anything. I've applied for a post (more than 60 mins away but willing to relocate) and have passed the online assessment. Received an e-mail saying I'm being considered and my details will be kept for 1 year. Can I apply for something else ? and if I do will I have to complete the online assessment again? I started to apply for another post but the process seemed to start again - asking the first set of questions etc. I really don't fancy the thought of doing that assessment again, I'm amazed I passed it this time. Is it a case of sitting back and waiting or can I apply for posts closer to home?
Any help greatly appreciated
Mick

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi guys

Im new to this forum but wanted to ask people some questions about signalling. Ive completed the initial questionnaire for a position as a signaller but i still need to take and pass the online assessment. I've been talking to the local LOM and its looking positive that as long as i do well in the assessment then i'll have a place in signalling school. Nothing is a gurantee though obviously. Ive been asked what my preference would be out of Crediton or Exmouth Jn. In peoples opinion, which one do you think would be better to work at?

Have you had an interview yet?
Your comments reads as though the LOM has said your a sure fire bet if you pass the assessments ?
I don’t think that really allowed to be honest!

Anyway, should you get the job....
Exmouth Junc SB is the busier of the two, Creidton SB is as you know on the branch to Barnstaple, Exmouth being one the South Western Mainline to Salisbury and the branch to Exmouth so you’ll see a lot more action aka gain experience there.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi All

Apologies if this question has been asked before, I did a quick search but couldn't see anything. I've applied for a post (more than 60 mins away but willing to relocate) and have passed the online assessment. Received an e-mail saying I'm being considered and my details will be kept for 1 year. Can I apply for something else ? and if I do will I have to complete the online assessment again? I started to apply for another post but the process seemed to start again - asking the first set of questions etc. I really don't fancy the thought of doing that assessment again, I'm amazed I passed it this time. Is it a case of sitting back and waiting or can I apply for posts closer to home?
Any help greatly appreciated
Mick

Yes, you can apply for as many jobs as you wish at any one time.

Your online initial test score valid for 6 months, I’m not sure if there is another battery of tests prior to interview these days?

Kraken

Yes, you can apply for as many jobs as you wish at any one time.

Your online initial test score valid for 6 months, I’m not sure if there is another battery of tests prior to interview these days?

I’ve recently applied for multiple roles and my SHL test results were automatically sent forward once I had done them once, so no you don’t have to do the tests each time.

Ive completed the initial questionnaire for a position as a signaller but i still need to take and pass the online assessment. I've been talking to the local LOM and its looking positive that as long as i do well in the assessment then i'll have a place in signalling school. Nothing is a gurantee though obviously. Ive been asked what my preference would be out of Crediton or Exmouth Jn.

I think posting this on an open forum full of people applying for signalling jobs may have been a mistake!

Applying and passing the tests should be handled by HR but assuming you pass the tests and the LOM allows you make it to interview and then gives you the job, having now said so on here, leaves you both looking really bad!

If I hadn’t just been offered a job I would apply for both those positions myself (as I have already passed the tests) purely so that if I wasn’t offered an interview I would look at some sort of civil action, as it’s downright wrong especially with all the competition.

It’s meant to be a very fair and legal process. This isn’t to say you’re not amazing and might get the job anyway but I’d be astonished and disappointed for someone to just be whisked into a place when there’s 100s applying for every signalling role, some who are very good candidates just pipped to the post.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I’ve recently applied for multiple roles and my SHL test results were automatically sent forward once I had done them once, so no you don’t have to do the tests each time.

There we are then, it’s been a long time since I was in the nail biting recruitment process thank god!

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I think posting this on an open forum full of people applying for signalling jobs may have been a mistake!

Applying and passing the tests should be handled by HR but assuming you pass the tests and the LOM allows you make it to interview and then gives you the job, having now said so on here, leaves you both looking really bad!

If I hadn’t just been offered a job I would apply for both those positions myself (as I have already passed the tests) purely so that if I wasn’t offered an interview I would look at some sort of civil action, as it’s downright wrong especially with all the competition.

It’s meant to be a very fair and legal process. This isn’t to say you’re not amazing and might get the job anyway but I’d be astonished and disappointed for someone to just be whisked into a place when there’s 100s applying for every signalling role, some who are very good candidates just pipped to the post.
I think maybe the OP phrased it a little unfortunately - people at signalling school have statistically all done well at the assessment and interview and consequently in order to get a place at signalling school people need to do similarly well - that’s an empirical statement, it’s not biased towards a particular individual.
Similarly when asked what the preference would be between two boxes that is also unlikely to have been binding, perhaps just making conversation. We were talking on shift recently as to our preferences as to types of wine. This didn’t mean that we were going to leave the box, go to the off licence, buy a bottle and drink it on shift.

I think maybe the OP phrased it a little unfortunately - people at signalling school have statistically all done well at the assessment and interview and consequently in order to get a place at signalling school people need to do similarly well - that’s an empirical statement, it’s not biased towards a particular individual.
Similarly when asked what the preference would be between two boxes that is also unlikely to have been binding, perhaps just making conversation.

Absolutely agree godfreycomplex that it’s probably the OP getting the wrong end of the stick, so hopefully he doesn’t get his hopes up too soon as he won’t be the only good applicant.

With the demand, I imagine it’s as rare that there’s only 1 ‘good’ application for a role as that there’s only 1 good bottle of wine

Bruce33

Hiya, ive missed off a lot of information as i was mainly just putting a breif explanation of where im at. The main question was which station would be better. There is absolutely no bias going on towards me what so ever and everything is being done legitimately and by the book. However if my post is offending people then id love to get rid of it. I was literally just asking what a better station would be to work at, and i already seem to have caused some issues with people. Im trying to delete it now.

Mi&Li

Similarly when asked what the preference would be between two boxes that is also unlikely to have been binding, perhaps just making conversation. We were talking on shift recently as to our preferences as to types of wine. This didn’t mean that we were going to leave the box, go to the off licence, buy a bottle and drink it on shift.

The boat has certainly been rocked by his post!

If that is the case though I would agree with others. It would be rather disappointing to hear that this is being done. Opposite side of the country to me but that isn’t the point.

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hiya, ive missed off a lot of information as i was mainly just putting a breif explanation of where im at. The main question was which station would be better. There is absolutely no bias going on towards me what so ever and everything is being done legitimately and by the book. However if my post is offending people then id love to get rid of it. I was literally just asking what a better station would be to work at, and i already seem to have caused some issues with people. Im trying to delete it now.

No offence taken, I’ve a very thick skin a good quality of a signaller!
Also I’m sure you’ve just mistyped, “Station” should read Signalbox?

Unfortunately we are a very close nit grade, as you’ll see on here we’ll bend over backwards to help the good guys out - but on the other hand those who are obviously less passionate will get a cold shoulder (not saying you are, just in general).

Id like to think this thread isn't like the 101 trainee driver threads asking the same basic questions over and over, such as how much is training pay, when so I get full pay, have you heard back on your app yet, I submitted my app 54 seconds ago but I’ve not heard back yet etc.

Did I mention signallers moan a lot?

It’s great to see the good guys and gals post their first post, follow their progress through recruitment and into the grade, unfortunately not many stay around once they’ve passed out for one reason or another.
Best of luck.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
The boat has certainly been rocked by his post!

If that is the case though I would agree with others. It would be rather disappointing to hear that this is being done. Opposite side of the country to me but that isn’t the point.

No LOM unless their mental would openly say this, I think the chap has got the wrong end of the stick to be fair to him or her.

Cjbennett10

unfortunately received the ‘more suitable candidate’ identified today. Gutted, but we keep on trying. What’s the easiest way to receive notifications of new signaller opportunities? Or is there another route people have gone down to get the foot in the door....

Roadster 7

Hi, it's been a couple of years since I last posted on here, I applied for a few different signaller roles over the time, waiting for opportunities to come up within a sensible distance of home.
But unfortunately i was never successful to get to the interview stage.
Fast forward to the present and I applied for a couple of positions locally, redone my tests and completely rewrote the 70 questions.
Just looked today to see my status has changed to invite to assessment 2 pending!
Am I correct in thinking this means I should get an interview?
Thank you!