• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

amanda08

Now I’m officially excited! Formal offer received and accepted. Medical to come and then wait for confirmed start date, but looking likely it won’t be until jan at either Preston or Manchester. It feels like it’s taken forever but finally moving on to my new career. To all those trying and waiting, don’t give up!
It’s a great feeling isn’t it! :)

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ILoveLamp

Now I’m officially excited! Formal offer received and accepted. Medical to come and then wait for confirmed start date, but looking likely it won’t be until jan at either Preston or Manchester. It feels like it’s taken forever but finally moving on to my new career. To all those trying and waiting, don’t give up!
Congratulations on the news. Where abouts are you going to be working?

Macca89

Hey folks

I was wondering if anyone had any info on the Crossing Keeper position for Roddige such as shift times?

Obviously the goal is signalling and I understand when going for these types of positions (crossing keeper) that if lucky/fortunate enough to be accepted into that role, one wouldn’t be able to just carry on applying for signalling positions, I’d need to show loyalty to the position for a certain time (normally a year?) before attempting the jump into signalling, and all that is absolutely fine if I’m honest, I’ve heard plenty of times on here that Crossing Keeper jobs are great ways to get the foot in the door etc.

This particular position is a 1 hour and 20 min drive from home so I’ve got to factor in fuel costs with salary and I think it’s worth it, as far as I’m aware from the info on here crossing keepers can still earn over £30k with overtime etc

has anyone else on here applied for it?

Tomnick

Established Member
Thanks.
Good to see I should have time for a coffee and a bite at some point between trains then!
It’s generally an hourly passenger service through the day in normal times. There’s a flurry of (mostly freight) activity first thing in the morning, but it settles down after breakfast (just in time for the line blockages to start). It’s then fairly steady until mid-afternoon when the empty stone trains start to come back mixed in with some other bits and bobs. Not sure how things are with intermodal trains at the moment but they could occasionally make for a busy day, and MML diversions (especially unplanned) guarantee it! Never had trouble cooking a decent meal in the evening or enjoying a steady supply of tea at any time of day though.

nom de guerre

Garsdale SB. A lovely little single manned, grade 2 listed box in the middle of nowhere. And it’s right opposite my home :)

Wow - I’m envious! Arguably the nicest box on probably the most scenic line in Britain - and with a dream commute to boot!

Always fancied working the S&C but doubt it’ll happen... #moneytrap

Garsdale SB. A lovely little single manned, grade 2 listed box in the middle of nowhere. And it’s right opposite my home :)

Just had to Google that box I've got to say I'm quite envious too, although I think it lacks the urban grit of a West London signalling centre and the convenience of a nearby Lidl :D

Slipper

Hi all

Just a quick question. I'm halfway through the recruitment process for a train driver. However, if not successful I would like to apply for a signalling role. Just wondering though, where are signalling jobs advertised? Is it with the TOC? I ask as I've yet to see one in my area, South Wales.

Thanks for any replies

nom de guerre

Just had to Google that box I've got to say I'm quite envious too, although I think it lacks the urban grit of a West London signalling centre and the convenience of a nearby Lidl :D

I know, right? No palisade, security announcements or litter blowing around a desolate car park - and where's the graffiti?! :lol:

Saracen_83

Hi all

Just a quick question. I'm halfway through the recruitment process for a train driver. However, if not successful I would like to apply for a signalling role. Just wondering though, where are signalling jobs advertised? Is it with the TOC? I ask as I've yet to see one in my area, South Wales.

Thanks for any replies

been said here many times but signalling is not a “drop down” or a back up for not being a driver.... you need to carefully consider if signalling for you......

Liam60009

Very well done, a great box and a gorgeous place as well! I’ve applied for Hellifield further along the line, just love the location and the box itself. Playing the waiting game now :)

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi all

Thanks for any replies

Good to have a next best/second best plan......

amanda08

It’s generally an hourly passenger service through the day in normal times. There’s a flurry of (mostly freight) activity first thing in the morning, but it settles down after breakfast (just in time for the line blockages to start). It’s then fairly steady until mid-afternoon when the empty stone trains start to come back mixed in with some other bits and bobs. Not sure how things are with intermodal trains at the moment but they could occasionally make for a busy day, and MML diversions (especially unplanned) guarantee it! Never had trouble cooking a decent meal in the evening or enjoying a steady supply of tea at any time of day though.

Thanks for the info, it gives me a decent idea of what to expect:)

Slipper

been said here many times but signalling is not a “drop down” or a back up for not being a driver.... you need to carefully consider if signalling for you......

I never said it was a "drop down" or "back up" I simply have not seen any signaller jobs advertised. I fail to see how both jobs can be mutually exclusive?

Good to have a next best/second best plan......

Thanks Tom, although not second best mate, just trying to keep my options open

I might apply for some train driver jobs, in case I don’t get a signallers job.....

no problem. I have passed the sift and the MMI, awaiting the psychometric tests. If I can be of any help please let me know.

I don't mean to talk out of turn, but my original questions remain unanswered. I'm not after advice on my career choice, or judgement on if I am doing the correct thing.

regards

slipper

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I never said it was a "drop down" or "back up" I simply have not seen any signaller jobs advertised. I fail to see how both jobs can be mutually exclusive?

Thanks Tom, although not second best mate, just trying to keep my options open

no problem. I have passed the sift and the MMI, awaiting the psychometric tests. If I can be of any help please let me know.

I don't mean to talk out of turn, but my original questions remain unanswered. I'm not after advice on my career choice, or judgement on if I am doing the correct thing.

regards

slipper

With respect, a keep skill being a signaller is being able to find information off your own back.

Signallers are employed by Network Rail, that’s probably the best place to start looking for a job.

To be honest with you, coming onto a signaller thread full of signallers and those in the process saying your half way through the driver process, but fancy signalling if it doesn’t work out - okay not a direct quote but that was the between the lines isn’t the best of options.

We as a grade are extremely proud of our profession, so to infer it’s a 2nd option is a little offensive - although I trust you didn’t mean to cause any.

All the best in your driver application.

cogload

Just wondering if anyone has heard anything from westbury or didcot thames valley ??

3 vacancies at the TVSCC are on the internal list as is Westbury. So waiting for that to exhaust itself first I would imagine. Westbury used to be the proverbial dead men's shoes.

Slipper

With respect, a keep skill being a signaller is being able to find information off your own back.

Signallers are employed by Network Rail, that’s probably the best place to start looking for a job.

To be honest with you, coming onto a signaller thread full of signallers and those in the process saying your half way through the driver process, but fancy signalling if it doesn’t work out - okay not a direct quote but that was the between the lines isn’t the best of options.

We as a grade are extremely proud of our profession, so to infer it’s a 2nd option is a little offensive - although I trust you didn’t mean to cause any.

All the best in your driver application.

Thanks again Tom, yes you are right, a key skill to any job is finding out information for yourself, and I did think of that before my original post. However, being a member at the forums here I thought I would ask first as the accumulated knowledge on this forum far outweighs mine on the subject, and I believed may have given me a better insight.

It would be foolish and arrogant of me to assume I would be successful in the train driver process, as you will be aware the competition for most jobs is very stiff, with this in mind I have several other jobs I am thinking of were I not to be successful. That is not to say these jobs are in any way secondary to my first choice, but driving appeals to me more. Given any list of occupations, I'm sure most of us would come out with a different order of preference. Why have a list of several other jobs? Well, I have a young family, and whilst there is a preferred, ideal job for me, at the end of the day I need a job.

I apologise if I have caused any of you any offence in my wording, that was not my intention. I will do my own research and not ask further.

kindest regards

slipper

I apologise if I have caused any of you any offence in my wording, that was not my intention. I will do my own research and not ask further.

Your question has now been answered twice, so no need for further research! Signallers are all network rail, jobs listed on their website.

If you need more info on signalling, this forum is the best place on the internet!

GMac1502

Just got the call to say i've been successful in my signaller application. Over the moon. Thanks to everyone for the input and tips.

Slipper

Signallers work for Network Rail, check their web site and also keep an eye on Indeed.co.uk

Thanks rockhopper, your reply didn't show initiall. appreciate you taking the time to reply

Your question has now been answered twice, so no need for further research! Signallers are all network rail, jobs listed on their website.

If you need more info on signalling, this forum is the best place on the internet!

Thank you, missed the initial reply somehow. Thanks for your help

cogload

*SNIP* Then at Basingstoke, is it likely that feltham signallers would just be doing the same area as before but from a different place or learning other panels too?

The workstations you will cover will be the same area the PSB covers when the box moves across the ROC. So if you got a job at Feltham, when the box moves across to the ROC, you will eventually cover all the workstations that cover the former area plus any bits the powers that be decide to add.

Tigerned371

Pensions? Any pointers? Need to decide between CARE and NRDC for first 5 years before moving onto the railway pension. I’m just after opinions, I’m not expecting anyone to make a life time decision for me. TIA

cogload

Reposted for effect:

I don't know if this is going to be of any use but for any new entrants wanting to join the Grade:

READ THE INSTRUCTIONS ON THE JOB APPLICATION/ ASSESSMENT CAREFULLY. The external application will give you an idea of the base salary, although O/T and Sundays can add up to 10% on top do not plan your life around that. I am still surprised after many years how many people still budget on the extra cash, it really isn't a good idea to do so (and yes, I used to fall into this trap). Other notes from this thread are:

1. DO NOT Take Simsig as gospel.
2. I would strongly advise you NOT to read the rule book. The assumption is for external applicants that they know f*** all about the railway in terms of in depth operations. That is what signalling school is for, to teach you the nuts and bolts. However if you show a general interest in what NR does and how it operates then it will stand you good stead.
3. The HR process is long, time consuming and exasperating. The staged process and sifting is (as clear on the thread) like the proverbial circles of hell. However once the positive decision has been made they will let you know, whether that be for interview or at the end of the interview a job offer. However be warned that NR as an organisation can be cumbersome and change it's mind in regards to vacancies. And HR are only one part of the process, the hiring managers are those at the end of the day are those responsible. Internal applicants find the process very frustrating, so I have sympathy.

I would also take time before starting the process to note how many Non technical skills you have acquired an how they can be applied. As a side note I would add the computer is looking for consistency.

Apropos to the above don't waste time sweating once you have hit the submit button/ been through the interview. I know it is nerve racking and can be quite frustrating but what has done has been done - you can't undo it. Go out and live your life - don't forget that (based on the lift test etc etc) there will be plenty of opportunities to apply again if your life's desire is to join the grade. As is plain in this thread several people have applied multiple times, NR actually gives you the tools on it's website to assist you if you fall at certain hurdles (i.e how to put a CV together).

4. There are other ways into the signalling grade. One way is via a job such as Trust Delay Attribution as mentioned above. It is also easier to get into the grade from a "railway job" - i.e look for a job with a train operator and then apply (I joined from Wessex Trains many many moons ago).

5. If you have been offered a job- congratulations! They will let you know regarding the Signalling school etc. There is the obligatory medical to undertake but as long as you are generally fit there should be no problems, although do not have a drink the night before. I know of now ex signallers who on the day before their booked medicals have been out for a few jars/ glass of wine, only to fail the next day..In regards to signalling schools, places are limited and your LOM will supply you with tickets and hopefully the background bits required for your time on the course. My advice will be to join the Union ASAP as well. I have no truck with the politics of the RMT however the background stuff is useful and a good Rep is worth their weight in gold. It is a pretty intense course so (as mentioned above) on your downtime use it as downtime. Do the work which the trainers ask you to do and remember that the NR's drinkndrugs policy applies. Also ask questions, lots and lots of questions if you are unsure of any particular point of principle.

And this (after 5 seconds of googling) is quite useful:

Pensions? Any pointers? Need to decide between CARE and NRDC for first 5 years before moving onto the railway pension. I’m just after opinions, I’m not expecting anyone to make a life time decision for me. TIA

Obviously for pensions advice you should speak to a pensions advisor.... however I had the same choice to make and given that the NR contributions are 9% in CARE as opposed to 3% in the NRDC, then it wasn't a difficult choice to make - for me at least.