• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Thebullet

Applications for signaller jobs have increased significantly in the last few months. It will definitely be well over 200.

I’m surprised HR don’t close an advertisement early if applications reach a high number, any idea on that number?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Katey89

Hi all!
I’ve just put in two more applications for grade 7 at Guildford and grade 3 at farncombe.
many insight to these locations please?
tia :)

Mark34

‘implement and promote reverse parking at all Network Rail premises, car parks and wherever the driver deems it safe and possible to do so’

It’s not a rule. It’s guidance?

danners430

‘implement and promote reverse parking at all Network Rail premises, car parks and wherever the driver deems it safe and possible to do so’

If you're going for an interview, it might be wise to adhere to said guidance!

headshot119

Established Member

Look mate, a bit of advice, if you're going to a Network Rail site for an interview, just reverse park the car. If you don't want to reverse park the car give someone who can demonstrate the ability to follow rules a shot at the interview.

Mark34

Look mate, a bit of advice, if you're going to a Network Rail site for an interview, just reverse park the car. If you don't want to reverse park the car, don't bother turning up and give someone who can demonstrate the ability to follow rules a shot at the interview.

Look mate, no need to derail yourself. I was merely sharing the guidance and promoting some debate around the initial post, around the reverse parking, especially when some forum members were worried they hadn’t read or not been sent an important document for interview prep. It’s also an interesting policy that people might want to of had some discussion over.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
The firm operate a reverse parking policy at all sites, to the extent ours has a £50 fine for non compliance!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Look mate, no need to derail yourself. I was merely sharing the guidance and promoting some debate around the initial post, around the reverse parking, especially when some forum members were worried they hadn’t read or not been sent an important document for interview prep. It’s also an interesting policy that people might want to of had some discussion over.

If your ever bored on nights there’s 100s if not 1000s of policies on pretty much everything from parking to how to walk up stairs!

As for interview prep just get some cracking competency evidence together, and build the NTS, and Safety version etc

Forgot any internal policy stuff.

Mark34

If your ever bored on nights there’s 100s if not 1000s of policies on pretty much everything from parking to how to walk up stairs!

As for interview prep just get some cracking competency evidence together, and build the NTS, and Safety version etc

Forgot any internal policy stuff.

Thanks Tom, some sensible discussion and pointers.

High Dyke

Established Member

Aye, but there are those that have been reported and disciplined for failing to adhere to the guidelines, when attending Network Rail premises. Many locations have signage up to remind you.

Defenestrate

Loads of rules that a spoonful of common sense will see you right with - hold the handrail, reverse park, lift a box like this...top notch corporate stuff.

Hold your nose and/or tongue if necessary, the job itself outweighs all that!

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Obviously how you park at a single manned location matters not, but when you go to signalling centre or office or complex you need to park as they require.

No, even at a single manned location there can be "rules" about how and where to park!

LOM

On the other hand it is very unlikely the interview panel will notice or care which way round your car is parked. I have never yet seen any of the candidates I have interviewed arrive or leave the car park.

Last edited:

Cjbennett10

Hi guys/ladies,

Just looking for any extra info on Wymondham SB (Leicestershire). The role is labelled as a Grade 1 Signaller position, however after having read all 354 pages of this thread Im understanding that its in-fact a crossing keeper position despite the advert (generic copy and paste from recruitment I assume) Anyhow, does anyone know what the roster may look like... Im hoping to then be able to work out a guideline of what - if any extra income I could expect on top of the base salary for the position. Im extremely keen to move up the grades to a full fat signalling position but in the meantime this could be the first step onto the ladder - Get in, work hard, be dedicated and earn my place higher up the grades.

Thanks in advance :)!

nom de guerre

Hi all!
I’ve just put in two more applications for grade 7 at Guildford and grade 3 at farncombe.
many insight to these locations please?
tia :)

Have you tried searching this thread, Katey89?

Both of these boxes have been mentioned here in the past. Guildford was briefly discussed here quite recently.

Katey89

Have you tried searching this thread, Katey89?

Both of these boxes have been mentioned here in the past. Guildford was briefly discussed here quite recently.

im still reading the thread from the beginning so haven’t gotten to the more recent posts yet but will keep an eye out.
thanks

amanda08

im still reading the thread from the beginning so haven’t gotten to the more recent posts yet but will keep an eye out.
thanks

Reading the whole thread is a great idea and super helpful, however for specific info, the search function works really well too. (Top right of page and then select to search this thread, just incase you hadn’t noticed it :) )

Katey89

Reading the whole thread is a great idea and super helpful, however for specific info, the search function works really well too. (Top right of page and then select to search this thread, just incase you hadn’t noticed it :) )

Thanks Amanda08, I shall have a search now :)

CHAPS2034

That’s for the reply Roadster! Is that not the Melton Mowbray SB though? I’m looking for the Wymondham one... Wymondham itself looks a lot further away.... thanks mate!

I suspect that the Wymondham you may be looking at is the place in Norfolk which AFAIK now has no operational NR box on the line.

The NR advert states Leicestershire, so I guess that Roadster's info is correct as the box is between Melton Mowbray and Oakham. For location see below.

Cjbennett10

I suspect that the Wymondham you may be looking at is the place in Norfolk which AFAIK now has no operational NR box on the line.

The NR advert states Leicestershire, so I guess that Roadster's info is correct as the box is between Melton Mowbray and Oakham. For location see below.

That’s correct, thanks for taking the time to research! That link is all the info I’ve been able to source thus far, was hoping that someone may have some inside info of the roster and/or any other useful info about the SB to share. Thanks again Chaps

CHAPS2034

That’s correct, thanks for taking the time to research! That link is all the info I’ve been able to source thus far, was hoping that someone may have some inside info of the roster and/or any other useful info about the SB to share. Thanks again Chaps

OK no probs. The crossing data on that link seems to be a few years old unfortunately.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Anyone heard back from the recent Feltham ASC or any of Wembley jobs up recently?

Afternoon, waiting times between stages vary hugely between locations and candidates.

It really isn’t any indication whether you hear something days after you hit submit, or joe down the road doesn’t hear for 6 weeks.

Patience really is the key to the whole process, and the job. You see the same thing 100s of times per thread in driver jobs, with people “have you heard anything” “I was told xx weeks” “I was told Monday next week” etc.

The one thing which is good about the NWR recruitment process is you WILL be told one way or the other, they won’t just let you hang until you give up.

I don’t know about other people (not a personal dig at you mate, generally speaking) but I’m getting less and less interested in this thread over the last few months, I can’t put my finger on it but the tone seems to have changed or something?

Maybe Im just going through the male change, or something I don’t know.

LOM

I don’t know about other people (not a personal dig at you mate, generally speaking) but I’m getting less and less interested in this thread over the last few months, I can’t put my finger on it but the tone seems to have changed or something?

Maybe Im just going through the male change, or something I don’t know.

It is not just you Tom. Maybe there is just not much more left to say.

Last edited: