• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

ten7

Has anyone had an experience of waiting almost a month after interview and then getting a no?
I’d ring HR. If they can’t give you answer, try ringing the hiring manager. If you haven’t heard after a month, it’s perfectly reasonable to phone and ask.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Cavan

Does anyone have an up to date version of the NR excel sheet with box opening times?

Sinistah

I’d ring HR. If they can’t give you answer, try ringing the hiring manager. If you haven’t heard after a month, it’s perfectly reasonable to phone and ask.
I think that is definitely an option. I will wait until the 12th to do that though

ten7

I think that is definitely an option. I will wait until the 12th to do that though
Why not call now? NR is such a large organisation with rigid processes that it will make no difference to your outcome whether you call or not. But you might be able to find out the progress of your application.

ten7

Chances are the hiring manager hasn’t done anything on irec yet so I wouldn’t be surprised if none of the candidates for your role have heard back.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
There really is no timescale, you’ll know when you know either way.

HR can move blindingly quickly, or painfully slowly, people’s individual experiences really count for nothing it varies so much.

Sit tight, try not to worry it’ll come you will be told either way.

PrinceBishop

Hi all,

Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this for me. A vacancy has appeared on the Network Rail careers site for a grade 2 signaller in Cutsyke, Castleford, Yorkshire. The thing is, it's advertised as being a fixed term secondment until March 2018. Now if the application process takes as long as I think it does, ie. several months, followed by (if you're fortunate enough to get through) 12 weeks at a signalling school, how could you possibly even start such a secondment before March 2018, let alone complete one?

I emailed recruitment to ask them about this and how it would work given the timescales involved. I wondered if there was some kind of mistake such as it should never have been advertised to external candidates or that it should have said March 2019. Unfortunately, I just got a reply saying they could confirm it was March 2018, there is no guarantee that there would be any employment beyond that date and it was at my own discretion whether I wanted to apply.

All of which is fine, but I'm still none the wiser as to how you would be able to start work in time for any meaningful secondment before March 2018.

I've applied for it anyway as I suppose there's nothing to lose, just curious as to whether someone is able to explain what I'm missing here.

Sinistah

Why not call now? NR is such a large organisation with rigid processes that it will make no difference to your outcome whether you call or not. But you might be able to find out the progress of your application.
I want to just wait because i called a few days ago and they said the manager hasnt given them details yet.i think something is going on in the background which isslowing down the process

ten7

I want to just wait because i called a few days ago and they said the manager hasnt given them details yet.i think something is going on in the background which isslowing down the process
Oh. Did you call recruitment support services?

uww11x

I emailed the other day and was told they don't have time frame but still in the running for an interview.

ten7

Because recruitment support services can only see what you see in irec. It’s local resourcing which the hiring manager would be talking to.

Sinistah

I used the number on my interview invite. Is that the one you are referring to. Support services

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Hi all,

Hopefully somebody can shed some light on this for me. A vacancy has appeared on the Network Rail careers site for a grade 2 signaller in Cutsyke, Castleford, Yorkshire. The thing is, it's advertised as being a fixed term secondment until March 2018. Now if the application process takes as long as I think it does, ie. several months, followed by (if you're fortunate enough to get through) 12 weeks at a signalling school, how could you possibly even start such a secondment before March 2018, let alone complete one?

I emailed recruitment to ask them about this and how it would work given the timescales involved. I wondered if there was some kind of mistake such as it should never have been advertised to external candidates or that it should have said March 2019. Unfortunately, I just got a reply saying they could confirm it was March 2018, there is no guarantee that there would be any employment beyond that date and it was at my own discretion whether I wanted to apply.

All of which is fine, but I'm still none the wiser as to how you would be able to start work in time for any meaningful secondment before March 2018.

I've applied for it anyway as I suppose there's nothing to lose, just curious as to whether someone is able to explain what I'm missing here.

Those type of adverts are squarely aimed at current signallers or even those who have recently retired but are still in competence.

If I was you I wouldn’t bother, wait for a permeant role your interested in to come up and go for that.

ten7

I used the number on my interview invite. Is that the one you are referring to. Support services
Was it a Manchester number (0151)? It’s basically a call centre style Helpdesk. Interview invites I think normally come out from either local resourcing or the hiring manager themselves. So you could have called a local resourcing team who would have more accurate info.

ten7

yes it was a Manchester number it was 0161 number
They can only see what you can see in iRec. They won’t be able to tell you whether the hiring manager has made a decision or sent anything off to local resourcing.

Greatful

Good afternoon , All
This simulator at the signalling course is it the same simulator control that southern use in the control rooms to indicate train movement and whereabouts of the train etc or is there huge diffrence between signallers control and station controllers.
Reason being I cover control room at times and I see southern controllers useing this simulator. If that's the case and it's similar wanner get to more insight into it .

Thank you

Sandip Paul

hi, I have done my PTS & TIC but my drug & alcohol is out of date to work on the Railway. How do I update my D&A, as I'm finding it difficult to find a sponsor.

Lrd

Established Member
hi, I have done my PTS & TIC but my drug & alcohol is out of date to work on the Railway. How do I update my D&A, as I'm finding it difficult to find a sponsor.
Please create a new thread and ask, don't take this one off topic. Thanks :)

Sinistah

Does anyone know much about Greenford Signal box. I have als applied for that so want to brush up on some knowledge in case I get the invite to interview. I know its a grade 3 but is it lever frame, or switches. What TOC's run through it and how often etc

jdxn

Greenford is squeezed between Western and Chiltern. There is a single line to the North that fringes with Marylebone IECC and then two links to the Western, one at West Ealing (up)/Hanwell (dn) and the other (via Park Royal) near Old Oak Common. The fringe is with the TVSC (Didcot) Acton workstation. Traffic is the GWR 'Greenford car' which shuttles between Greenford and West Ealing. A few freights use the route to access the landfill site at Calvert (beyond Aylesbury) and a waste transfer site at Northolt. At present some HST's use it to turn the set around from Paddington/OOC, but that traffic will stop as the HST's are withdrawn.
Its TCB and lever frame, and 12hr roster, and quiet at night!

Last edited:

Sinistah

Greenford is squeezed between Western and Chiltern. There is a single line to the North that fringes with Marylebone IECC and then two links to the Western, one at West Ealing (up)/Hanwell (dn) and the other (via Park Royal) near Old Oak Common. The fringe is with the TVSC (Didcot) Acton workstation. Traffic is a the GWR 'Greenford car' which shuttles between Greenford and West Ealing. A few freights use the route to access the landfill site at Calvert (beyond Aylesbury). At present some HST's use it to turn the set around from Paddington/OOC, but that traffic will stop.
Its TCB and lever frame, and 12hr roster.
Thanks for that information. I think that is all I needed to know at this point. 12hr roster also sounds good. For that reason I reckon it will be really popular vacancy

ten7

Has anyone ever been completely left in the dark forever after a Network Rail interview before? As in they never hear back?

Sunset route

Established Member
Good afternoon , All
This simulator at the signalling course is it the same simulator control that southern use in the control rooms to indicate train movement and whereabouts of the train etc or is there huge diffrence between signallers control and station controllers.
Reason being I cover control room at times and I see southern controllers useing this simulator. If that's the case and it's similar wanner get to more insight into it .

Thank you

If your talking about what I think your talking about, then your miles of course and heading along the the wrong tangent.

uww11x

Evening, What usually comes after the second the Application Under Consideration message? Almost fainted seeing that Test Completed, changed!

martin2345uk

Established Member
Evening, What usually comes after the second the Application Under Consideration message? Almost fainted seeing that Test Completed, changed!

Would be good to know too as mine says the same...!

Status Status Change Date
Application Under Review 12-Oct-2017 21:59:43
Application Accepted 13-Oct-2017 07:13:40
Application Under Consideration 13-Oct-2017 09:01:07
Invited to Test 13-Oct-2017 09:35:20
Test Completed 14-Oct-2017 16:44:12
Test Completed 16-Oct-2017 06:01:21
Application Under Consideration 31-Oct-2017 12:16:00

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Does anyone know much about Greenford Signal box. I have als applied for that so want to brush up on some knowledge in case I get the invite to interview. I know its a grade 3 but is it lever frame, or switches. What TOC's run through it and how often etc

Greenford is a lever frame SB, TOCs are GWR West Earling to Greenford shuttle, the Chiltern ghost train into Paddington and freight services.

You’ll get full London allowance on top of th grade 3 salary.

If you google Greenford SB it’ll show you loads of pictures and info.