• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Sinistah

If its only 1 position what are the ofds of an external with no experience getting the job?

Sunset route

Established Member
If its only 1 position what are the ofds of an external with no experience getting the job?

Well all 11 grade 9 positions at TBASC went to external (majority) or non signalling NR employees (minority), with no existing signallers gaining promotion. So there is always a good chance or an external will get the job.

nom de guerre

£955 outer.

No, that's South East allowance (LAOS 2 on payslips).

Outer London allowance (LAOS on payslips) is £1800.

Inner London (IIRC shown on payslips as INNER) is £3100.

It is possible to receive Inner + SE or Outer + SE, but not Inner + Outer or all three (unless you've been displaced from an Inner-area box to an Outer-area box).

I suspect some of the people that think they're receiving Inner + Outer are actually getting Inner or Outer + SE.

Note, SE was excepted from the last pay deal, new entrants no longer receive it and internals lose it if they're promoted. In other words, the company are trying to get rid of it.

Southernsig

Well all 11 grade 9 positions at TBASC went to external (majority) or non signalling NR employees (minority), with no existing signallers gaining promotion. So there is always a good chance or an external will get the job.
Any reason why they all went to non signallers, any signallers apply?

Myself and another thought about it but didnt after finding out its an 8hr roster!

Sunset route

Established Member
Any reason why they all went to non signallers, any signallers apply?

Myself and another thought about it but didnt after finding out its an 8hr roster!

No idea about who and why people applied and did or didn’t get the jobs, that’s down to the LOMs.

The new twin rosters are one 8hr roster and one 12hr roster, with opportunities to move between the two when vacancies come about. Existing staff are free to choose the roster of their choice right up to the implementation date then eveyrhing gets locked in. All new recruits will have to back fill the vacancies in the rosters, which at the moment will be the 8hr roster as more existing staff swapped to the 12hr roster than swapped to go on to the new 8hr roster after the allocations based on their initial preferences at the time. Both the new twin 38week rosters are a vast improvement on the current 65week 8hr roster.

Southernsig

No idea about who and why people applied and did or didn’t get the jobs, that’s down to the LOMs.

The new twin rosters are one 8hr roster and one 12hr roster, with opportunities to move between the two when vacancies come about. Existing staff are free to choose the roster of their choice right up to the implementation date then eveyrhing gets locked in. All new recruits will have to back fill the vacancies in the rosters, which at the moment will be the 8hr roster as more existing staff swapped to the 12hr roster than swapped to go on to the new 8hr roster after the allocations based on their initial preferences at the time. Both the new twin 38week rosters are a vast improvement on the current 65week 8hr roster.
Yeah I spoke to the LOM when I was considering applying. There is no chance im applying for anything with the possibility of an 8 hr roster again, too brutual, especially with what would be an hour commute!

My current line has voted a 12 hr roster in, just down to the union to negotiate for is to have it implemented now!

Last edited:

Sunset route

Established Member
Yeah I spoke to the LOM when I was considering applying. There is no chance im applying for anything with the possibility of an 8 hr roster again, too brutual, especially with what would be an hour commute!

My current line has voted a 12 hr roster in, just down to the union to negotiate for is to have it implemented now!

I find that depends how many weeks it takes to rotate around the 3 (early, late & nights) shifts, we currently take 5 weeks soon to become 6 weeks every other cycle so only two weeks of nights in every 11 weeks, not brilliant but better than the one in 4 weeks that the small boxes work on a 8hr roster.

Funny most who elected to stay on the 8hr roster was beacause they couldn’t or wouldn’t do the 14-15.5hr day’s to work on the 12hr roster including travelling.

Southernsig

I find that depends how many weeks it takes to rotate around the 3 (early, late & nights) shifts, we currently take 5 weeks soon to become 6 weeks every other cycle so only two weeks of nights in every 11 weeks, not brilliant but better than the one in 4 weeks that the small boxes work on a 8hr roster.

Funny most who elected to stay on the 8hr roster was beacause they couldn’t or wouldn’t do the 14-15.5hr day’s to work on the 12hr roster including travelling.
Yeah I'm on a 4 week rotation and cannot wait to get away from it one way or another! I'd sooner take the 15 hr days and get the extra days off personally! Each to their own though I suppose!

Greatful

Good evening,
Could you please kindly enlighten me has to why 8hours seems to be a no no for alot of currant signallers in simple terms please and why 12 hour seems better by many people already in the job. From London to three bridges is not so bad but TIMEING is very important making it into work on time etc. Are all the 8 hour shift allocated to new staff only so far or is there any 12 hour shift left over or will some new staff be on 12hour maybe if there is any left. I just thought that working 8 hours is just shorter hours come pay day and 12 hours is a bit more money but longer hours .

Regards

Sunset route

Established Member
Good evening,
Could you please kindly enlighten me has to why 8hours seems to be a no no for alot of currant signallers in simple terms please and why 12 hour seems better by many people already in the job. From London to three bridges is not so bad but TIMEING is very important making it into work on time etc. Are all the 8 hour shift allocated to new staff only so far or is there any 12 hour shift left over or will some new staff be on 12hour maybe if there is any left. I just thought that working 8 hours is just shorter hours come pay day and 12 hours is a bit more money but longer hours .

Regards

I’ll send a private message.

jdxn

12 hours is basically 3 days per week. Sunday’s are extra anyway. The hours per week are the same. The choice is long days/nights where you really don’t get to much else and then many more days off. For most, once they have done it they don’t want to go back. About 70 extra days off!

Sunset route

Established Member
I'm on 12hrs, no way would I go to a 8hr roster SB, I like my days off !

Rosters are very subjective, but at least at my location I will work less night shifts on our 8hr roster than the 12hr version and that’s always a bonus, because as discussed elsewhere in the forum 1st night shift runs a risk, and rotatiing onto and off of nights does as well. But it’s all personal choice, unless you a newbie and then you just have to follow what your new colleagues have already negotiated in at your chosen location.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Come from a roster where my late turns could start from 1259 upto 1850 then finish at anytime from 2210 to 0240, and not follow a set pattern of getting later starts etc to a set 1900-0700-1900 is great.

Southernsig

8's on the wrong roster can be brutal, as mentioned with nights changing shifts can be a pain, for example on mine i do 4 lates straight into 7 nights, finish my last night at 6 in the morning then go into 2 lates the following day, even though the sunday is technically a day ofc its anything but and trying to turn yourself around is a nightmare at times. Then there is the fact that you will only have 7/8 days off in a 4 week period vice 14 on average on the 12's. Typically 7 straight days off every 4 weeks certainly helps on a 12 hr roster as well. All subjective though, some like the shorter days and others like more time off

Last edited:

MylesHSG

Basingstoke grade 5 advertised today.

I visited the box during my training, seemed like a nice place to work and the NX panels were in good condition, unlike some I've heard about *cough*Feltham*cough*

Sunset route

Established Member
The old coastway east roster that I used to work, which was a basic 4 weekly cycle could be quite brutal, and most one person signalboxes on a 8hr roster will have a variation of this.

Sun mon tue wed thu fri sat

Off. L. L. L RD. E. E

12D. E. E. E. E. RD. RD

Off. RD. RD. N. N. N. N

12N. N. N. RD L. L. L

But luckerly the dynamics of a big multiple panel Signalling Centre has a much more bespoke roster and every location will be different to suit the particular needs of that location. We work night shift at the moment every 5 weeks for instance (soon to become 6 weeks every other cycle).

What this means to people looking to be recruited as signallers, is that if you a desperate to get into the signalling grade then there is no real standard roster but a lot of variations of the same theme (especially the single manned locations), so there is no point in really asking. If your asking or looking for locations that work one length of shift against another (8hr vice 12hrs) then your going to limit yourself to the amount of jobs that are available to apply for. Much better to get your foot in the door and then seek promotion, sideway move or even downgrade to get the roster turn length you want at a location that you would like to work at.

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I reckon that’s what it’s about if your a external trying to get into the firm, get I on whatever roster or box you can then work to move to your ideal when your qualified and know what’s what.

One thing is for sure being a Signaller is awesome no matter what roster your on.

martin2345uk

Established Member
Well, Couldn't even get an interview. Unsuccessful after passing the tests. Sigh.

Really sorry to hear that buddy :'(
Just keep applying, there'll be more on there soon I bet.
Still not heard back after my online tests but I have 6 failed-before-interview applications with Network Rail so I don't hold out too much hope!

uww11x

Really sorry to hear that buddy :'(
Just keep applying, there'll be more on there soon I bet.
Still not heard back after my online tests but I have 5 failed-before-interview applications with Network Rail so I don't hold out too much hope!

Best of luck mate.

Guess thats all we can do!

Southernsig

Well, Couldn't even get an interview. Unsuccessful after passing the tests. Sigh.
Takes time sometimes, just apply for anything you can make work if you get the job then try to move to something more suitable once in the grade!

Last edited:

PrinceBishop

When looking at the job descriptions for signalling and crossing keeper roles on the Network Rail careers site, they say that you should visit the 'Signaller' pages on 'connect' and complete the 'Assessment Practice Booklet'. Am I right in thinking that 'Connect' is something on the Network Rail intranet that only Network Rail employees can access? And if so how do external candidates access this information? It's just that none of the links for signaller pages in the job adverts work for me, regardless of which browser I use.

If anyone can share any working links to the relevant information it would be greatly appreciated as you're supposed to read up on it before you even apply from what I can tell.