• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

High Dyke

Established Member
Thank you for your reply. Yeah that's definitely a bit more confusing. I've seen it can vary quite a lot depending on if/when there are night shifts as well. I suppose having accepted there's not a whole lot I can do about it haha, just trying to prepare myself.
Where a box is open continuous then the night turns are generally 8 hours or 12 hours, to correspond with the other shifts in that box. My hours vary because I mainly work locations that only have two shifts (early & late).

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

matty1984

Hi everyone,

Recently been offered a role as a signaller (verbal offer and verbally accepted) and have been advised that it could take a few weeks before I hear anything else or get an email from HR to confirm everything and agree dates.

I’m waiting patiently but just wondered if anyone knew how long it will take before I hear anything more (email of conditional offer or booking on medicals etc).
Appreciate any insight that can be given!
Thank you
Don't be afraid to give them a polite chase email, I did and I heard back from them the next day.
I was offered my role in the 24th August, accepted straight away, had my medical on the 27th September and my start date, communicated to me, on the 8th October. 3 weeks till I start!!
Well done mate, not an easy role to secure!

TLB

Hi Matty,

congrats on the offer! Definitely not easy so well done to you too.
Thanks for the advice, just wondering who did you email? Direct to HR??
Thanks again

matty1984

Hi Matty,

congrats on the offer! Definitely not easy so well done to you too.
Thanks for the advice, just wondering who did you email? Direct to HR??
Thanks again
I emailed the onboarding team, replied to one of their emails to me!

Thank you so much for this time line! Great insight in terms of time line.
Indeed, I’ll continue to wait patiently - Verbal offer was made on September 24th so hopefully it won’t be too much longer now.
Thanks again and congratulations!!
Hi, l a verbal offer. 2, 3 days later l got the formal offer email, on Jun 12. Medical July 2. July 9, l received an email saying that the company had asked the hiring manager to hire me. However there was no space at signalling school. I emailed my LOM who said l would start February hopefully but no firm date. I emailed onboarding 3 weeks ago and they said l was still in the system. People's wait lengths seem to vary. I just hope they don't change their minds!

Hi, l a verbal offer. 2, 3 days later l got the formal offer email, on Jun 12. Medical July 2. July 9, l received an email saying that the company had asked the hiring manager to hire me. However there was no space at signalling school. I emailed my LOM who said l would start February hopefully but no firm date. I emailed onboarding 3 weeks ago and they said l was still in the system. People's wait lengths seem to vary. I just hope they don't change their minds!
Anyone else in a similar situation?

NoEyeDeer

Applied quite a while ago, interview 15th september, offered the job a few days after, medical 6th October, email today waiting on disclosure info, then we will see. Hopefully a signalling course starting in scotland soon

Saracen_83

Applied quite a while ago, interview 15th september, offered the job a few days after, medical 6th October, email today waiting on disclosure info, then we will see. Hopefully a signalling course starting in scotland soon

you will go to the next available signalling course. Whether that be Scotland, York, Coventry or one of the new school centres that are popping up.

Last edited:

TLB

Hi,
Thanks for the detailed time line. It seems that times can really vary from candidate to candidate. Hopefully we go through the system and quick a possible and get to start signalling school. They wouldn’t have changed their mind I don’t think, virtual working and the pandemic may be slowing things down.
I’ve seen throughout this thread, even in older entries that the process can be very long but it’s good to get insight on what “long” may look like!
Fingers crossed for us all!

ffesti

I got offered my position in late may but was warned at the time that it’d be a while before I got a school place. Medical in late June. I start in November but don’t go to school until January. I’ve had fairly regular contact from my LOM and he’s been very responsive when I’ve asked him any questions. Really impatient to get going!

Trackboy

Does anyone know if 4% relief is going to be increased anytime soon? I read somewhere down the forum someone posted their was plan to increase that.

BrummiePete

Does anyone know if 4% relief is going to be increased anytime soon? I read somewhere down the forum someone posted their was plan to increase that.
I get the 4% FP, of course i want more but do also think it should pay more than 4%. As i write this on a Wednesday evening i do not know what shifts i am on from next Monday, not convinced 4% compensates for that.

But i'm also extremely grateful i have a good secure job in these very uncertain times.

Trackboy

I get the 4% FP, of course i want more but do also think it should pay more than 4%. As i write this on a Wednesday evening i do not know what shifts i am on from next Monday, not convinced 4% compensates for that.

But i'm also extremely grateful i have a good secure job in these very uncertain times.
Agreed but do you know any plan to be increased anytime soon?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

There was word of a minimum 10%, but nothing official so I very much doubt it - we’ll be lucky for a pay rise in jan let alone an extra 6%.

Oh how I don’t miss that not knowing for the 4% ! Relief, now resident :)

Agreed but do you know any plan to be increased anytime soon?

I don’t think 4% is sufficient for the hassle you have to put up with, but I signed for the job knowing so I couldn’t really kick up a fuss.

Worked my ticket on the relief, then put my name down for a resident when one came up - I was lucky we had a few go part time which created a few resident lines.

412ft

Wondering if anyone can help me with a few questions I have:

1) Currently, how long is the application process for signaller roles taking, from completing the 60+ questions to first day of training? What's the best and worst-case scenario?

2) How tough is the training? Does everyone get through it, or is there also the option of you being let go if you fail a module / exam / test?

3) I've seen the training called "residential training" - but is it possible to commute in to the training on a daily basis?

Thanks!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation

1) Currently, how long is the application process for signaller roles taking, from completing the 60+ questions to first day of training? What's the best and worst-case scenario?

2) How tough is the training? Does everyone get through it, or is there also the option of you being let go if you fail a module / exam / test?

3) I've seen the training called "residential training" - but is it possible to commute in to the training on a daily basis?

Thanks!

1) How long is a piece of string, literally.

2) Yes it’s tough, the job is tough it is a psss or fail course.

3) Depending on where you live, and where your sent to train yes. Bare in mind you could be sent to train in Coventry if you live in Exeter.

412ft

Thanks for the replies.

1) What's the longest piece of string you've seen? 6 months? 12 months? (Context: I recently applied for a role as signaller and have now been offered a 1-year fixed-term contract doing something else. Trying to decide whether to accept that job. If NR works out and I'm offered a job in 3 months, let's say, can I volunteer to hold off for a later training course, to allow me to see through my fixed-term contract and part on good terms?)

2) Any ballpark figure for how many make it through succesfully? I assume most people make it through (90%?) if they got through the selection process ok.

3) If you aren't happy with being sent to one location to train, can you volunteer to hold off for a later course nearer to home?

Rockhopper

Not a chance of delaying your course, you’ll have been taken on to fill a specific vacancy, they won’t want to leave it open for any longer than absolutely necessary.

SignallerJohn

Thanks for the replies.

1) What's the longest piece of string you've seen? 6 months? 12 months? (Context: I recently applied for a role as signaller and have now been offered a 1-year fixed-term contract doing something else. Trying to decide whether to accept that job. If NR works out and I'm offered a job in 3 months, let's say, can I volunteer to hold off for a later training course, to allow me to see through my fixed-term contract and part on good terms?)

2) Any ballpark figures for how many make it through succesfully? I assume most people make it through (90%?) if they got through the selection process ok.

3) If you aren't happy with being sent to one location to train, can you volunteer to hold off for a later course nearer to home?
Do you actually want the job?

A tremendous opportunity to work at NWR as a signaller and as you haven’t even bothered to read this thread I’ll assume you haven’t seen how difficult these vacancies are to get.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Thanks for the replies.

2) Any ballpark figure for how many make it through succesfully? I assume most people make it through (90%?) if they got through the selection process ok.

Never show any sign that your not willing to walk across hot coals when in the recruitment process.

There are literally 100s wanting the job you’ve applied for.

But, to answer your question.

Time frames can vary from a few weeks to a year. Even with the pop up schools now there’s a big waiting list for places.

I’d say the majority pass school, you’ll be given support to pass if you’ve the will go do so. But as above there are 100s wanting the job so they can and will fail you if you fail to meet the demanding requirement.

Like I say never decline any offer, it might well be the only one you get.

Be under no Illusion just because we’re not on £70k basic doesn’t mean you can pick and choose.

You want the job (I assume) more than they want you.

Do you actually want the job?

A tremendous opportunity to work at NWR as a signaller and as you haven’t even bothered to read this thread I’ll assume you haven’t seen how difficult these vacancies are to get.

Ive got that impression as well, the chances are those who can’t be bothered at this initial stage won’t make it anyway.

I mean how did I manage to get a job back in 2003 when there wasn’t the vast dept of information available?

Thanks for the replies.

It really is impossible to say how long it can take at the moment simply because of the number of people they can put in each course. You might be get offered a course date at very short notice if someone drops out.... and then you might have to wait 6 months. None of this is helped by Covid 19 of course

The course is demanding simply due to the amount of information you need to absorb in what is quite a short amount of time. If you put the effort in then you will be fine and if you do slip up then there is help to get you through, but its certainly not a turn up and you'll pass course

I don't think there's any chance of waiting to get a place a school near you. The policy does seem to be to try and keep people local at the moment but its not a given I think.

Javagem

It really is impossible to say how long it can take at the moment simply because of the number of people they can put in each course. You might be get offered a course date at very short notice if someone drops out.... and then you might have to wait 6 months. None of this is helped by Covid 19 of course

The course is demanding simply due to the amount of information you need to absorb in what is quite a short amount of time. If you put the effort in then you will be fine and if you do slip up then there is help to get you through, but its certainly not a turn up and you'll pass course

I don't think there's any chance of waiting to get a place a school near you. The policy does seem to be to try and keep people local at the moment but its not a given I think.

Thanks!
I’m on IST at the moment. I interviewed in Jan, job was offered early Feb but Covid also played a part in the delay on course start dates.
The course is hard, I’d go as far to say it’s the hardest course I’ve ever done and I previously held senior management roles in Financial Services, so I’ve been on a fair few courses in my time.
It’s certainly not a turn up and pass. I’d say I’m putting in well over 50 hrs a week (others are doing more - and doing better than me it has to be said).
There are people from all walks of life on my course, from military, aerospace, engineering, teaching, police and manufacturing and none of them are finding it easy. I hear a lot of pilots are now trying to get into signalling too, so there’s plenty of capable people chomping at the bit to get into it.
You will be binned if you don’t put the effort in to pass the assessments. 2 people have been asked if they want to carry on after just scraping through on one of the assessments - it’s gets harder too.
The selection process is tough but easy in comparison to the course itself, it’s there to sift out those who don’t have the basic requirements of the job but in no way is it an indicator of how well you’ll do on the course - or in the job itself.
If you can, stay at the hotel, you’ll need all the free time you can get to work without distractions of hone life.
You’ve got to want to do it and be prepared to commit yourself to completing the course - if you’re not then you won’t succeed.

nom de guerre

My anecdotal impression is that the majority do.

Having said that, the most recent course at my route's school had three failures. (All are being offered retakes.)

Rigchick

Morning all, a question about booking time off please. I don’t start until 1st Feb but curious about how far in advance I would need to book time off for a couple of important events I have next year? And if you don’t use all your annual allowance can you carry forward the unused days or do you lose them? TIA

SignallerJohn

Ive got that impression as well, the chances are those who can’t be bothered at this initial stage won’t make it anyway.

I mean how did I manage to get a job back in 2003 when there wasn’t the vast dept of information available?
I agree. Its funny I’ve not been on as long as 2003 but it’s fascinating to know the jobs used to be advertised in the job centre

LOM hasn’t posted in a while and I guess we can contemplate why. it just seems the last year or so on this thread people have gotten to the point where they want to be spoon fed a perfect application and a grade 9 role that’s not a grade 9 in terms of workload.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
I agree. Its funny I’ve not been on as long as 2003 but it’s fascinating to know the jobs used to be advertised in the job centre

LOM hasn’t posted in a while and I guess we can contemplate why. it just seems the last year or so on this thread people have gotten to the point where they want to be spoon fed a perfect application and a grade 9 role that’s not a grade 9 in terms of workload.

Totally agree, I’m getting fed up with it as well. Literally everything you could want is on here, just spend a week reading through taking notes of the bits you want some clarification on.

If someone said I’ve read XYZ, but I don’t understand Y can someone expand no issues, we’re here to help at the end of the day.

Mr LOM is a big lose to the thread, but I can understand why he’s not bothered anymore or some bitter so in so has kicked up about him posting, wouldn’t surprise me.

High Dyke

Established Member
Morning all, a question about booking time off please. I don’t start until 1st Feb but curious about how far in advance I would need to book time off for a couple of important events I have next year? And if you don’t use all your annual allowance can you carry forward the unused days or do you lose them? TIA
Basically, give the roster clerk as much notice as possible in that calendar year. If it means booking leave then don't wait until a few weeks before otherwise you may be disappointed, especially if you have already paid for an event. Most roster clerks will try and accommodate a leave request where possible. If it's short notice leave you require then that needs to be sanctioned by your line manager; it may be that the quota for your area has been reached.

You are able to carry over up to 5 days, but you must have applied for them in the year accrued and had them declined to do this. The days must be taken by March of the following year, or they will be lost. (* See below)

Compensatory Leave (accrued for Bank Holidays, if you choose the lower pay option). They have a 12 month date on them, after which you get paid them.

* Days accrued in 2020 need to be applied for by December 31st 2020, and declined by your roster clerk/manager. Those days must then be taken by the end of March 2021.

Last edited:

Dave Tasty

Totally agree, I’m getting fed up with it as well. Literally everything you could want is on here, just spend a week reading through taking notes of the bits you want some clarification on.

If someone said I’ve read XYZ, but I don’t understand Y can someone expand no issues, we’re here to help at the end of the day.

Mr LOM is a big lose to the thread, but I can understand why he’s not bothered anymore or some bitter so in so has kicked up about him posting, wouldn’t surprise me.

It would be a shame to lose you guys. From a personal perspective you, LOM, nom, High Dyke and the countless other experienced members of this thread provide a real insight and this has been extremely beneficial, not only for me but countless others.

When I first started applying for jobs there were only 27 pages and less than 800 posts on this thread. It has taken me over 40 applications and 3 interviews to finally get a position. Now almost 3 years to the day of my first interview I am about to start my career on the railway. The information I have taken from here has helped me get to this position and I am grateful for that input. So thanks to all of you.

Last edited:

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
It would be a shame to loose you guys. From a personal perspective you, LOM, nom, High Dyke and the countless other experienced members of this thread provide a real insight and this has been extremely beneficial, not only for me but countless others.

When first started applying for jobs there were only 27 pages and less than 800 posts on this thread. It has taken me over 40 applications and 3 interviews to finally get a position. Now almost 3 years to the day of my first interview I am about to start my career on the railway. The information I have taken from here has helped me get to this position and I am grateful for that input. So thanks to all of you.

It’s fantastic you finally got there mate, made up for you!

As you’ll find out being a signaller especially if your in a single manned SB finding out information yourself, on occasion really having to dig deep to find it.

People seem to think (no you now) the hard work ends when you pass out of school, but it’s only the beginning - if you balls up in school on the sim it’s okay, balls up in real life look forward to gripping a brass rail.

89jordanbj

I don't know about others.. But when I first found this forum I used to love reading through all the posts from the very beginning of the thread. Made my interest in the job even stronger.