• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

JMH77

Hey all, anyone notice you can now do a 12 month Apprenticeship to become a signaller? Mostly out of London to East of England though, so i might not do it since i live in the midlands but for those of you who want to get into it, here's a link: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/caree...nticeships/level-2-operations-apprenticeship/
I'm interested in applying for this. I'm not quite sure how it works though. After the 12 month apprenticeship assuming you pass all assessments does it lead to guaranteed employment or would you have to apply for signaller (or other) roles and hope you find something?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Toots

There is no suggestion of a guaranteed job after you pass the course.
It would guarantee you a job in practice though. NWR has had real problems recruiting off the street in London, and has done for years,simply because with very few small boxes there,it's a huge step up to start as a grade 8 or 9.It's a smart move by the company to train people on a much smaller wage than they would if someone went into say, Kings X, straight from Signalling school only knowing the basics.I'm surmising that people will be allocated positions on completion of the course thereby filling places in the more unpopular boxes.

Saracen_83

All signalling jobs if you are recruited from the street are apprentiships now.
If it is a a future ops/or one of the talent pools where your trained but no guarantee of a job at the end, You’ll be required/encouraged to apply for jobs whilst training and during the 12-18months of the contract.

NWR won’t want to speaks that amount of money training you up (tens of thousands of pounds) and get rid you at the end.. they will want you to apply and get a job with the company. But it will down to you to be proactive, and find another signalling role

cpn

Actually the *compulsory* apprenticeship scheme (outsourced to Babcock) was withdrawn earlier this year - most new signallers are back to being straightforwardly "employed" rather than apprenticed, and the course is 10 weeks (plus a 1-day practical in the 11th week) rather than 12.

Last edited:

High Dyke

Established Member
Hey all, anyone notice you can now do a 12 month Apprenticeship to become a signaller? Mostly out of London to East of England though, so i might not do it since i live in the midlands but for those of you who want to get into it, here's a link: https://www.networkrail.co.uk/caree...nticeships/level-2-operations-apprenticeship/
Reading through the information on the NR link, to me that reads more like the graduate scheme. You spend time experiencing various departments of Network Rail.

Qball

Actually the *compulsory* apprenticeship scheme (outsourced to Babcock) was withdrawn earlier this year - most new signallers are back to being straightforwardly "employed" rather than apprenticed, and the course is 10 weeks (plus a 1-day practical in the 11th week) rather than 12.
I've heard that there will be another apprenticeship scheme soon but run in-house.

Toots

If it is a a future ops/or one of the talent pools where your trained but no guarantee of a job at the end, You’ll be required/encouraged to apply for jobs whilst training and during the 12-18months of the contract.

NWR won’t want to speaks that amount of money training you up (tens of thousands of pounds) and get rid you at the end.. they will want you to apply and get a job with the company. But it will down to you to be proactive, and find another signalling role
We have about 20 trainees on our roster at the moment,all off the street,and all have done the 10 week course, no apprenticeships.

bouff34

Looks like a good way of saving money from NWR's point of view - all employed on effectively grade 1 rates until you pass the apprenticeship or are successful in applying for a position in a SB. Always seemed a bit unfair at Signalling School that there was a range of salaries from Grade 2 up to the higher grades despite everyone doing the same course! Not that I complained of course on grade 5 pay!

I wonder if this will become the standard way for signaller recruitment from now on?

Toots

Looks like a good way of saving money from NWR's point of view - all employed on effectively grade 1 rates until you pass the apprenticeship or are successful in applying for a position in a SB. Always seemed a bit unfair at Signalling School that there was a range of salaries from Grade 2 up to the higher grades despite everyone doing the same course! Not that I complained of course on grade 5 pay!

I wonder if this will become the standard way for signaller recruitment from now on?
That's exactly what it is, it will save them a fortune. That said, you can kind of understand it given the fact that even experienced small box Signallers go into power boxes/IECC's and ROC's and can't hack it. Going in off the street was taking in excess of a year to train just one panel at one IECC I know ,some didn't make it and had to leave I understand and those trainees would be have been on at least grade 7 all that time. I suppose it will give a grounding for things such as clipping points for those posted in the sticks,perhaps time with S&T or P/way to get an understanding of the job outside the box so to speak. Done properly it could work well...but given past initiatives such as the calamitous SWL programme I don't hold out much hope..

Scooby123

Does anyone know what the situation is like at IST at the minute with Coronavirus? Is it affecting hotels etc? I’ve seen on here people saying they study together on an evening, is this the case for everyone? Has anyone studied on there own as people learn differently? Or is this frowned upon? TIA

HamSandwich

Does anyone know what the situation is like at IST at the minute with Coronavirus? Is it affecting hotels etc? I’ve seen on here people saying they study together on an evening, is this the case for everyone? Has anyone studied on there own as people learn differently? Or is this frowned upon? TIA
Hi Scooby,
Hotels are still open, York has just gone back into Tier 2 after the national lockdown (when we were having every evening meal in our hotel rooms) and we eat together in the restaurant. You must wear your mask outside of when you're in your hotel room or when eating. You can study most easily at the training centre in the mornings and evenings outside of taught lessons and keep socially distanced in the classroom or in the breakout areas. Outside of the classroom we are told to wear a mask (when going to communal areas on arrival, making a cup of tea/getting lunch etc). You most certainly could study on your own, but it's easier to keep distanced and stay in a group. Plenty of hand santizer in the classrooms, which we all make liberal use of, as well as disposable gloves and masks too if you don't have your own masks. I've just completed week 8 of IST. :)

Gallius

I've just completed IST and our hotel wasn't serving food so we had to order takeaways to our rooms every night. We had the option to study in small groups at the training centre but most of us studied on our own and we all passed with good grades.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Quick rostering question.....

Your booked days (RDW) on the roster, a few days later the clerk asks you to work the day before nights (RDW). You now can’t work the original day turn, do you get paid off on the original rostered RDW days to cover the more pressing night turn ?

High Dyke

Established Member

Your booked days (RDW) on the roster, a few days later the clerk asks you to work the day before nights (RDW). You now can’t work the original day turn, do you get paid off on the original rostered RDW days to cover the more pressing night turn ?
How much notice of a change of duty have you been given?

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
How much notice of a change of duty have you been given?

I was asked if I could work the night turn the day after the roster was published - notice prior to the actual turn is about 10 days. I’m a resident if that makes any difference, general opinion is I should be paid the RDW night, and paid off on the original RDW day turn.

lineclear

To be honest I'd expect to get just the one RDW, and would only agree to the night if it was more convenient or i wasn't bothered. Getting booked off my rostered day shift for a night would be a different matter. It's probably in the NRP somewhere.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
To be honest I'd expect to get just the one RDW, and would only agree to the night if it was more convenient or i wasn't bothered. Getting booked off my rostered day shift for a night would be a different matter. It's probably in the NRP somewhere.

It seem opinion is divided here as well.
Nights suits me to be honest, so I think I’ll just keep the peace and work as she desires.

Toots

Do you mean 'do I get paid for the unworked day turn as well as the night turn you do work'?...no you don't . If the roster is published you can refuse to change turns, and I suppose you could try to cut a deal if they are desperate, but generally speaking the only day or night turn you get paid for is when you get a Hidden day. A Hidden day is where you work so many consecutive days that run into your rostered shift, you have one of those rostered days off. The number of consecutive days depends on the length of shift you on your roster.

Woody27

Hi all, has anyone on here applied for the St Blazey box, I see they’ve taken it down early, must be a lot of applications!!

EGPWS#2

Hi all, has anyone on here applied for the St Blazey box, I see they’ve taken it down early, must be a lot of applications!!
Interestingly I got through the interview for this box only last month (over 120 applicants and only 4 interviewed). Didn't get the offer. Asked LOM (?) for feedback and got none. Then saw it advertised again under same reference and noticed that the 'apply' button was not visible. Emailed HR requesting feedback and that I may be considered for reapplication. HR replied that it would be passed on to the hiring manager on 9th December - heard absolutely nothing since. #baffled

Saracen_83

There is a back / son story as to why to be fair...lolhaha

haha problem!!

may be just my place but if they change your request to change your shift and roster is only published and has not gone binding, then no, you would only get paid for the shift you work.

however, if the roster has gone binding at 12pm Thursday and your asked to change shift, then yes, at my place, you would get the new shift paid as normal, and be booked off (paid) for the previous shift if that makes sense...!

Woody27

Interestingly I got through the interview for this box only last month (over 120 applicants and only 4 interviewed). Didn't get the offer. Asked LOM (?) for feedback and got none. Then saw it advertised again under same reference and noticed that the 'apply' button was not visible. Emailed HR requesting feedback and that I may be considered for reapplication. HR replied that it would be passed on to the hiring manager on 9th December - heard absolutely nothing since. #baffled
That is strange! I guess recruiting is considerably slower in the current climate.

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Do you mean 'do I get paid for the unworked day turn as well as the night turn you do work'?...no you don't . If the roster is published you can refuse to change turns, and I suppose you could try to cut a deal if they are desperate, but generally speaking the only day or night turn you get paid for is when you get a Hidden day. A Hidden day is where you work so many consecutive days that run into your rostered shift, you have one of those rostered days off. The number of consecutive days depends on the length of shift you on your roster.

That’s correct yes, it’s been confirmed I don’t get paid the original RDW day turn.
Nights suits me better anwyay to be honest, it’s also a CL on LROP so not to bad.

Trackboy

I am currently work in Grade 5 role. I have secured Grade 7 role in Sept 2020. But my LOM can't release me until Aug 2021. When I had secured Grade 7 role, I had interviewed for Grade 9 aswell. I had passed the interview but LOM for Grade 9 role had only 1 vacancy at that time so my application is on hold for future vacancy.

My question is I am already claiming Grade 7 money working Grade 5 box, as it has been three months since I got the job. If I was to go for Grade 9 job now if offered would I have to give the money back for the time I have claimed for Grade 7 box. As it is not my fault my LOM can't release me.

Toots

I am currently work in Grade 5 role. I have secured Grade 7 role in Sept 2020. But my LOM can't release me until Aug 2021. When I had secured Grade 7 role, I had interviewed for Grade 9 aswell. I had passed the interview but LOM for Grade 9 role had only 1 vacancy at that time so my application is on hold for future vacancy.

My question is I am already claiming Grade 7 money working Grade 5 box, as it has been three months since I got the job. If I was to go for Grade 9 job now if offered would I have to give the money back for the time I have claimed for Grade 7 box. As it is not my fault my LOM can't release me.
I'd say no you wouldn't have to give the money back because you are hoping to go to a higher grade position. If however you had changed your mind and returned to your grade 5 role or taking a lower grade job for whatever reason, then I think you probably would have to pay it back.As you say, it isn't your fault that you cannot move, in fact your situation is being replicated all over the country and I know of two recent cases whereby two Signallers had to wait for a year before they could move.