• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Mikesig

is the adjustment only for leave days taken or do you get it regardless of if you have taken leave or not?

AFAIK it makes no difference how much (or little) leave you took, everyone gets it based on 4 weeks annual leave.

The HPS payment is calculated based on the amount of overtime you work during the calendar year. This means the HPS payment you receive will vary each year.

It is calculated as follows:

Gross Pay (less excluded payments including basic pay,London Allowances, Annual Leave Allowance & Annual Leave Premium, bonus etc) divided by 52.16 multiplied by 4 = Holiday Pay Supplement (HPS) amount.

The formula divides by 52.16 and multiplies by 4 to get to 4 weeks’ pay – so the length of shift and shift pattern are irrelevant – the formula calculates 4 weeks HPS for everyone.

For signallers it is usually the amount you have received for RDW, Sundays and Night Shift Allowance that is used for the calculation. I don't think FP is included for those on relief but not 100% certain about that.

Mark23971

Hi folks, I’ve had an issue that I’ve tried searching for and can’t see something similar been asked. I’ve been invited to the assessment tests and had planned to sit these last night, however I haven’t received any email with a link to the assessment with SHL (checked junk and nothing there either). I’ve raised the issue with both Network Rail and SHL but I’m guessing they won’t reply until Monday, however Sunday will be the fifth day since the invitation.

I guess my question would be whether this will be taken in to consideration if not resolved by Monday? Thanks in advance.

Jacko83

Hi folks, I’ve had an issue that I’ve tried searching for and can’t see something similar been asked. I’ve been invited to the assessment tests and had planned to sit these last night, however I haven’t received any email with a link to the assessment with SHL (checked junk and nothing there either). I’ve raised the issue with both Network Rail and SHL but I’m guessing they won’t reply until Monday, however Sunday will be the fifth day since the invitation.

I guess my question would be whether this will be taken in to consideration if not resolved by Monday? Thanks in advance.
In the invitation document attached to the email there should be 3 links on the very last page. These are the 3 links you need for the assessments

harry370

Due to have my shl assessments for a couple of signaller vacancies
How did people find the tests?
Was the practice material harder like a few have suggested
I’m pretty nervous to be honest as maths isn’t my strong point
Any help or advice would be appreciated o_O

Defenestrate

I found the practice questions slightly more difficult than the actual test, however...seeing how the practice questions were made me search, and find further material to prepare myself etc to become more comfortable. Google is your friend.

danners430

In the invitation email, have a proper read through the attachment. Keep scrolling down until it stops - don't assume the document has ended, because the test links are right at the very bottom. In the email there's also a link to practice tests which takes you to the SHL website, where you can sit practice tests.

Locheeluck

I found them manageable but the main challenge was the time limit - it is tight. Keep an eye on the timer.

The practice examples were very helpful and should give you an idea of what to expect. I didn't find them harder or easier than the real thing.

There are many free tests online with similar questions which I had a look through to feel at ease beforehand. It's mainly percentage calculations, reading tables, nothing complex but a calculator will be helpful to have on hand.

EMacSporran

Hi all,
I'd like to ask if anyone can help me out.

I am currently waiting to hear back after doing the 3 SHL tests and getting past them, as to whether I will make it to interview.
From what I understand from reading back here, I may still not get an interview if not selected based on CV etc.
I am also interested as I note people discussing the status of their application, where I might see that, or is it purely what's informed on the emails?

I have applied for a local box, and am really keen to start (if I get through) but just wondered if anyone could tell me the time away required when at school? (I have a dog to factor in!) and I'm guessing all Scottish boxes go to the Glasgow centre?
When/if I get a start date, is this based on waiting for a group to go through the training simultaneously, so may be a significant wait, or does it tend to be relatively quick? Like many, I am unable to work right now thanks to Covid, so am keen to get back to work and start making my days have purpose again!

Thanks in advance!

Defenestrate

Hi all,

I am currently waiting to hear back after doing the 3 SHL tests and getting past them, as to whether I will make it to interview.
From what I understand from reading back here, I may still not get an interview if not selected based on CV etc.
I am also interested as I note people discussing the status of their application, where I might see that, or is it purely what's informed on the emails?

I have applied for a local box, and am really keen to start (if I get through) but just wondered if anyone could tell me the time away required when at school? (I have a dog to factor in!) and I'm guessing all Scottish boxes go to the Glasgow centre?
When/if I get a start date, is this based on waiting for a group to go through the training simultaneously, so may be a significant wait, or does it tend to be relatively quick? Like many, I am unable to work right now thanks to Covid, so am keen to get back to work and start making my days have purpose again!

Thanks in advance!
Is this for real? Sounds like you might be taking the Michael somewhat...

If you cannot figure out the log in process on the careers page, or put in the minimum effort required to find the answers to your basic questions (answers within this thread, some only a few pages back) and instead write a post asking for help, maybe this isn't the job for you after all.

Am I being a little harsh? Maybe.
If you're genuinely asking these questions and being serious, after you've already applied for the job, I would question whether you've looked into what the job is, or what it involves.

Rockhopper

Hi all,

Thanks in advance!

There are likely to have been upwards of two hundred applications - getting through the SHL tests is just one hurdle towards being one of the six who get an interview so don't start counting your chickens just yet :)

EMacSporran

Is this for real? Sounds like you might be taking the Michael somewhat...

If you cannot figure out the log in process on the careers page, or put in the minimum effort required to find the answers to your basic questions (answers within this thread, some only a few pages back) and instead write a post asking for help, maybe this isn't the job for you after all.

Am I being a little harsh? Maybe.
If you're genuinely asking these questions and being serious, after you've already applied for the job, I would question whether you've looked into what the job is, or what it involves.
Definitely a bit harsh.
I was being sent constantly to an error page, and had been sent no indication on there even being a page showing application status, however through some searching and resolving of issues, I have discovered the page without the error allowing me to get to the status page.

Thank you for your helpful reply.

There are likely to have been upwards of two hundred applications - getting through the SHL tests is just one hurdle towards being one of the six who get an interview so don't start counting your chickens just yet :)
Yes, thanks.
Definitely not counting my chickens, just trying to be fully prepared in the event of getting any further.

89jordanbj

Good evening all.

When being interviewed as an internal candidate and the interview is 'competency based' does this refer to the questions being based around rules and regs (with the 8 NTS's factored in)?

I.e 'If you had a train approaching from XXX and you received 6 bells from XXX what would your actions be?'

Or will it just be the generic 8 NTS questions that external candidates get asked?

Thanks

nom de guerre

I’m sure LOM explained this in a fair amount of detail, if you search back through their posts.

An internal interview is typically mostly scenario-based, eg you’ll be told the next question is about NTS x, then given a scenario: ‘You’re in the process of granting a line blockage when alarm X sounds at the other end of the panel and X also happens at Y. What order do you deal with the incidents?’

I say ‘typically’ as my most recent ‘internal’ interview turned out to be the ‘external’ format (no scenarios; ‘Tell me about a time when you’ve demonstrated NTS x’). TBH it threw me for a couple of minutes, although it all worked out OK.

When I asked the interviewers afterwards, they just said ‘That was the format we were sent.’ Bizarre. My previous three internal interviews had all been scenario-based so it was completely unexpected.

Next time, I’d be tempted to ask the interviewer beforehand to confirm which format they’ll be using as otherwise an interviewee has to prepare for both, just in case (which seems unfair). Whether or not they’d be willing to tell me is another matter...

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
Good evening all.

When being interviewed as an internal candidate and the interview is 'competency based' does this refer to the questions being based around rules and regs (with the 8 NTS's factored in)?

I.e 'If you had a train approaching from XXX and you received 6 bells from XXX what would your actions be?'

Or will it just be the generic 8 NTS questions that external candidates get asked?

Thanks

It depends, I’ve had both!

One was more or less like a pure external interview zero signalling questions asked, the second one was 100% signalling asking a lot of “what would you do if...” “if XYZ was...what would you do” etc

If it’s your home route I’d venture to say it’ll probably be the signalling format, but prepare for both I’d say

nom de guerre

If we have to prepare for both, that puts us at a disadvantage compared to externals. Surely that can’t be right...

My previous three had been scenario-based (home and ‘foreign’ routes alike); the random external one happened on my home route. Go figure.

BrummiePete

Morning All, have been looking at the internal list and there are some Grade 5 Relief at Greenbank/Mobberley/Deansgate Jn listed. All similar area and same LOM but listed as 3 separate jobs, anyone know if this is correct as looking at the area i would have presumed a relief based at any of these 3 boxes would also be covering the other 2 as they have an 18% flexibility premium?

Any info greatly appreciated.

TomJet87

Hello all,
Long time lurker, first time poster! After the decimation of the aviation industry, and getting made redundant from my training to be an Air Traffic Controller, I was looking for something with some transferable skills, and Signaller seemed perfect!

I just wanted to thank everyone that’s posted over the years, recently been successful in my application for G7 Signaller at Feltham. The help on this forum is invaluable!

I start IST at Basingstoke on the 22nd (is anyone else on it?)

Thanks!

Stigy

Established Member
Hello all,
Long time lurker, first time poster! After the decimation of the aviation industry, and getting made redundant from my training to be an Air Traffic Controller, I was looking for something with some transferable skills, and Signaller seemed perfect!

I just wanted to thank everyone that’s posted over the years, recently been successful in my application for G7 Signaller at Feltham. The help on this forum is invaluable!

I start IST at Basingstoke on the 22nd (is anyone else on it?)

Thanks!
Congrats! Must have been terrible getting made redundant whilst still training. Great to see it’s worked out though!

Tom Quinne

On Moderation
At least with NR you get some choice as to where you want to work (unlike NATS)!

Aren’t the majority of ATC roles salary wise very low in relation to the responsibilities attached?
The big ticket salary jobs are only at Heathrow?

Yorks1179

Aren’t the majority of ATC roles salary wise very low in relation to the responsibilities attached?
Not just ATC Tom. It's an issue right across the aviation industry. One example is many first officers could earn more driving a bus!

TomJet87

In the Aerodrome world, to a curtain extent, I wouldn’t say it’s “very” low. Area Control, earning potential is higher

cogload

Slightly surprised to see some of the wage figures being bandied about. I work a Grade 7 box and come nowhere near earning £80k p.a.- and I do a decent wedge of o/t.

:s

GingerRH

Slightly surprised to see some of the wage figures being bandied about. I work a Grade 7 box and come nowhere near earning £80k p.a.- and I do a decent wedge of o/t.

Grade 7 roster with 8hr Sundays on the inner is 52k without any OT.

With OT, I know a few guys at my place who’ve done well over 100, if not 110 as 7s. But, they’re always at work..

nom de guerre

It’s easier to accumulate on a 12hr roster vice 8s. The top ‘family avoiders’ at my previous box used to work 6 x 12 week after week. Easily cleared £80K as 7s but had no life - and I think they preferred it that way.

Inner obviously helps, but it’s ‘only’ a few grand.

And with some routes already recruiting dozens of extra bodies for the forthcoming max 60hr week, I’d suggest the salad days of £100K+ will soon be over.

Last edited: