• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Demx93

oh my goodness I have been offered a place on the signalling apprenticeship!

feeling overwhelmed at the moment!! Any current signallers care to share there thoughts on there roles? The pros and cons etc

godfreycomplex

Established Member
oh my goodness I have been offered a place on the signalling apprenticeship!

feeling overwhelmed at the moment!! Any current signallers care to share there thoughts on there roles? The pros and cons etc
Well done!!

Pros - being able to set your own pace, be able to make a real influence on the area you control, meaningful, good fun (most of the time), secure, good opportunity for a long term career, there are honestly loads

Cons - shift work, other people moaning, sometimes feels like the 21st century was just something that happened to other people, if you make an error of a big enough magnitude people will die. (It doesn’t really help to get too fixated on that last one by the way, but it probably should be at the back of your mind)

Have fun, be willing to learn, bring something new and exciting to the working environment, listen to the old hands, listen to the young hands (people from all walks of life are here), don’t let the bams grind you down, and you’ll do great.

It’s a great job in a great profession and you’ll scarcely meet anyone who has any regrets about joining. Nearly 7 years in now and it’s been a great ride.

Demx93

Wow thank you so much for your quick response, some great points you’ve made.
My current situation is that I live closer to my job and I earn more money, I trying to forget about these factors as I know there’s lots of opportunity to grow and develop within NR, I’m nervous but so ready!
Thanks again

Signallwr

Does anyone know much about the new fatigue rostering there's a lot of talk in my box about it. Does anyone have a copy of a compliant roster?. All the boys are moaning but noone is coming up with any solutions!!!

Last edited:

Yorks1179

Does anyone know much about the new fatigue rostering there's a lot of talk in my box about it. Dies anyone have a copy of a compliant roster?. All the boys are missing but noobe is coming up with any solutions!!!
Picked up this info in the last few days.

I believe that about a third of current rosters are not fatigue compliant and that this must be fixed (talk that should be done by Oct 2022, but probably will slip to Jan 2023 to avoid issues with booking leave).

However, that’s about the limit of what is known. Apparently, there are yet to be any discussions between management and unions on how this will be done (even to the extent of will it be extra signallers within the roster it’s self - five-man roster for single man box, or just extra reliefs to drop into the non-compliant parts of current rosters). Also, I believe that the principle of locally agreed roster patterns will still be the way that it is organised.

High Dyke

Established Member

I believe that about a third of current rosters are not fatigue compliant and that this must be fixed (talk that should be done by Oct 2022, but probably will slip to Jan 2023 to avoid issues with booking leave).

However, that’s about the limit of what is known. Apparently, there are yet to be any discussions between management and unions on how this will be done (even to the extent of will it be extra signallers within the roster it’s self - five-man roster for single man box, or just extra reliefs to drop into the non-compliant parts of current rosters). Also, I believe that the principle of locally agreed roster patterns will still be the way that it is organised.
Just to add to that. Rosters across the East Midlands Route have already changed to become compliant, LNE are still in the process of agreeing additional signallers (where required) and producing compliant rosters. East Midlands achieved this by recruiting additional signallers to many locations, but prior to that they displaced Rest Day Relief (RDR) signallers in some areas - and offered them resident signaller positions. Some took up that role, some were transferred to General Purpose Relief (GPR) signallers, but the inevitable shortfall was made up by recruitment.

Signallwr

Thanks for the info. That's helpful.

Just to add to that. Rosters across the East Midlands Route have already changed to become compliant, LNE are still in the process of agreeing additional signallers (where required) and producing compliant rosters. East Midlands achieved this by recruiting additional signallers to many locations, but prior to that they displaced Rest Day Relief (RDR) signallers in some areas - and offered them resident signaller positions. Some took up that role, some were transferred to General Purpose Relief (GPR) signallers, but the inevitable shortfall was made up by recruitment.
Thanks for this. Do you have a copy of any compliant rosters?

Jakirola

So i've received confirmation that I've been offered a chance to attend Signalling school - hopefully to begin in January 2022, once qualified i'll be at Dullingham Signal Box. Very exciting!

However, I've just discovered this "In addition to the level crossing upgrades, the project will see the relocation of signalling control from signal boxes at Bury St Edmunds, Dullingham and Chippenham to the Cambridge power signal box. Telecommunications and power supplies will be updated for the new signalling to bring everything into a modern computer-based digital system."

I was wondering if anybody knew how this would affect the signallers at these locations? Are they relocated? Or made redundant etc? Just concerned that I'd be packing in very good job/salary to pursue this dream and then find myself out on me ear in 2 years time. Appreciate any comments.

Qball

So i've received confirmation that I've been offered a chance to attend Signalling school - hopefully to begin in January 2022, once qualified i'll be at Dullingham Signal Box. Very exciting!

However, I've just discovered this "In addition to the level crossing upgrades, the project will see the relocation of signalling control from signal boxes at Bury St Edmunds, Dullingham and Chippenham to the Cambridge power signal box. Telecommunications and power supplies will be updated for the new signalling to bring everything into a modern computer-based digital system."

I was wondering if anybody knew how this would affect the signallers at these locations? Are they relocated? Or made redundant etc? Just concerned that I'd be packing in very good job/salary to pursue this dream and then find myself out on me ear in 2 years time. Appreciate any comments.
You're normally given access to closed listing jobs and told to apply for jobs at the same grade you are. You can apply to higher grades just abit harder

Turn up on time, listen, respect the box and your colleagues. Sounds easy enough but there's a few passing through I've seen that haven't done all of those and a reputation can quickly form. Don't forget to show enthusiasm :) Best of luck!
Hi,

Thank you for the reply it's much appreciated!

Looking forward to getting stuck in!

UVB76

Anybody know if there'll be any recruitment in Yorkshire area any time soon? I signed up for alerts back in March and emailed the recruitment team. They responded saying they'd be in touch within two weeks. Heard nothing and it's now Oct. I've checked the vacancies page every day since March and it seems just about every area in the UK has had recruitment except Yorkshire. I re emailed recruitment and had a cut and paste stock reply of "Check our recruitment page for latest vacancies."

I'm guessing there must have been a big recruitment drive in the area prior to me registering interest so if thats the case how long would it usually be before they need new blood?

bouff34

Anybody know if there'll be any recruitment in Yorkshire area any time soon? I signed up for alerts back in March and emailed the recruitment team. They responded saying they'd be in touch within two weeks. Heard nothing and it's now Oct. I've checked the vacancies page every day since March and it seems just about every area in the UK has had recruitment except Yorkshire. I re emailed recruitment and had a cut and paste stock reply of "Check our recruitment page for latest vacancies."

I'm guessing there must have been a big recruitment drive in the area prior to me registering interest so if thats the case how long would it usually be before they need new blood?
You might find they look for any 'new blood' internally due to the anticipated industry wide redundancies following the changes in rail use post-covid and the transition to GB Railways. Internal applicants who know or predict that their roles might disappear will be applying in numbers so the need to advertise externally is likely to decrease...

bouff34

What’s the premium for working night shifts?
Depends on your grade but as an example Grade 3 gets £14.45, Grade 5 gets £16.86 per shift.. Edited - a better answer would be you get an extra 10% of your basic pay per hour worked between 2200 and 0600hrs.

Chrisjhbrown

Well i joined network rail track moved to overheads two years later and spent the last 6 years on the overhead line , now iv accepted a job as a grade 3 signaller !

Might anybody still be waiting to hear back after interviewing for Cambridge PSB? My interview was a month ago now.
I applied for that I’m overhead line but wasn’t successful but been offered helpston signal box

Last edited:

ollieplo1

Has anyone had a interview in past couple of months. Have Network Rail changed the format? I know it used be based around the 8 non technical skills but wondering if that has changed.

cowboysfan

Has anyone had a interview in past couple of months. Have Network Rail changed the format? I know it used be based around the 8 non technical skills but wondering if that has changed.
Pretty much still around NTS yes. They have trialed some different way of applying internally at least for the ones recently advertised for the Sheffield Sub ROC, they had a different application process and different format when it came to interview.

Departure

Hello all,

I've been a long time lurker of this thread after making the decision to head into the Signalling world a little time ago and I'm pleased to have now finally been offered a position close to home.

I just wanted to thank everyone who has input on this thread over the last few years. The information contained within has been invaluable. For anybody looking at getting into Signalling, make sure you read all of this thread with a pen and notepad to hand, noting down anything you may think is of interest and importance, as it will stop you constantly trawling back through the thread to find it again.

For anyone wanting to get into Signalling, put the work in, and if you want it enough, you will get there in the end. Try not to beat yourself up too much if you miss out on a vacancy, use it as experience and try to improve your whole application for the next time. The competition is so fierce, but it will all be worth it when you are the one that gets the position.

ArchangelA

Hello all,

I've been a long time lurker of this thread after making the decision to head into the Signalling world a little time ago and I'm pleased to have now finally been offered a position close to home.

I just wanted to thank everyone who has input on this thread over the last few years. The information contained within has been invaluable. For anybody looking at getting into Signalling, make sure you read all of this thread with a pen and notepad to hand, noting down anything you may think is of interest and importance, as it will stop you constantly trawling back through the thread to find it again.

For anyone wanting to get into Signalling, put the work in, and if you want it enough, you will get there in the end. Try not to beat yourself up too much if you miss out on a vacancy, use it as experience and try to improve your whole application for the next time. The competition is so fierce, but it will all be worth it when you are the one that gets the position.
Where you been offered?

Yorks1179

Another problem with Yorkshire is that much has already been re-signalled and transferred to the ROC in York, meaning far less jobs available. As a result, I ended up getting a post at the other end of the country.

Pretty much still around NTS yes. They have trialed some different way of applying internally at least for the ones recently advertised for the Sheffield Sub ROC, they had a different application process and different format when it came to intervie

Also, I believe there is a new person in charge of recruitment and as is often the way, they want to put their own stamp on things.

89jordanbj

Hello all,

Congratulations! I'm just over a year in to my career as a signaller and I can honestly say I love my job and going to work. Probably for the first time in my life. Enjoy it, take in as much knowledge as you can, don't be scared to ask for help/advice from other signallers.

Good luck in your new career.

NorthernTech

Equally why the need to know?
It’s their business.
Fair point. But people come on here for help with their applications, they are often secretive in the application process for various reasons, which is understandable but once you have gained a position I find most applicants then share where they have been successful. This then allows others who work in similar areas to know they have a new colleague or new training buddy, and also those that have applied for that particular box then find perhaps they haven’t been successful and can move on. Especially as Network Rail sometimes tell you nothing and leave you hanging with an ‘Application in Progress‘, ‘Assessment’ or similar status. If you are about to work as a team member then it’s not all take take take, you have to give back, and that is how this forum and its information grows IMO. Just my take on it.. but seemed a tad strange to pm someone the location rather than just saying where.

Last edited: