• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Scooby123

Hi everyone :) I have accepted a grade 3 signallers role, it’s on a 12 hour roster. I have the table of all the pay rates and allowances etc. I am looking at getting a mortgage and trying to figure out what my yearly earnings will be with my allowances but I keep getting different figures when I try work it out can anyone help at all? Thank you!!

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Departure

Congratulations! I'm just over a year in to my career as a signaller and I can honestly say I love my job and going to work. Probably for the first time in my life. Enjoy it, take in as much knowledge as you can, don't be scared to ask for help/advice from other signallers.

Good luck in your new career.

Thank you. It's fantastic to hear that you're loving your new career and thank you for the advice. I'll be sure to take that onboard. :)

Fair point. But people come on here for help with their applications, they are often secretive in the application process for various reasons, which is understandable but once you have gained a position I find most applicants then share where they have been successful. This then allows others who work in similar areas to know they have a new colleague or new training buddy, and also those that have applied for that particular box then find perhaps they haven’t been successful and can move on. Especially as Network Rail sometimes tell you nothing and leave you hanging with an ‘Application in Progress‘, ‘Assessment’ or similar status. If you are about to work as a team member then it’s not all take take take, you have to give back, and that is how this forum and its information grows IMO. Just my take on it.. but seemed a tad strange to pm someone the location rather than just saying where.

I'm sorry if it has come across as secretive. The reason I haven't disclosed the specific box is because it was part of an internal recruitment drive in the Worcester / Malvern area and I'm not sure if all positions have been allocated yet.

There's not too much else I can add to my original post regarding the application process just yet. I didn't need to ask this thread any questions as everything I wanted to know was already in here hence why I advised anyone looking at getting into Signalling to have a good read through with a pen and paper. It took me 3 applications to get it over the line. I just tried to use the first 2 as experience and tried to really improve and refine my interview answers for the next time. As I said, I think it's important not to be too hard on ourselves if we don't get it first time of asking. Life is too short.

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Hi everyone :) I have accepted a grade 3 signallers role, it’s on a 12 hour roster. I have the table of all the pay rates and allowances etc. I am looking at getting a mortgage and trying to figure out what my yearly earnings will be with my allowances but I keep getting different figures when I try work it out can anyone help at all? Thank you!!

I would say take the base Gr3 rate and add 10%. You'll probably earn more, especially if you are willing to work rest days, but that figure will give you a good safe basis to work from.

Rutland23

Congratulations on getting through and all the best to you.

Most Mortgage companies, building societies etc will only take Basic Pay into account, as overtime, allowances etc are not guaranteed.

Best of luck.

Regards

Ian

LeGrimpeur

I really struggled with the final online test. Remembering the dot locations whilst doing the various shape comparisons. I failed all three rounds as I couldn't keep the dot positions in mind.

Rubicon

Hi everyone :) I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm applying for a grade 2 role and have an interview on Wednesday. I've done the online tests (presumably I passed these to progress to the next stage, although I didn't get a result) and then was invited to both the interview and scenarios test at the same time. I did the scenarios last week and am now mulling over all things I missed/ could have done better. It's making me feel quite anxious about the interview, as I'm worried I may have messed up already. Does anyone know the 'weighting' of each of these stages in the process? For example, is the scenario pass or fail, or do they review my responses alongside my interview performance to make a decision? Thanks

cowboysfan

Hi everyone :) I've been reading this thread with interest. I'm applying for a grade 2 role and have an interview on Wednesday. I've done the online tests (presumably I passed these to progress to the next stage, although I didn't get a result) and then was invited to both the interview and scenarios test at the same time. I did the scenarios last week and am now mulling over all things I missed/ could have done better. It's making me feel quite anxious about the interview, as I'm worried I may have messed up already. Does anyone know the 'weighting' of each of these stages in the process? For example, is the scenario pass or fail, or do they review my responses alongside my interview performance to make a decision? Thanks
I believe had you not done well enough you would not of even been given an interview. So I wouldn't read into it too much, from experience the tests I had to take prior to my employment with Network Rail were never mentioned in any interview.

Good luck for the interview!

ArkUTD

To my understanding after doing these new tests with the scenario, they do look at your responses, i think it just gives them a better overview of you as a person than just the interview really. They give you set scenario's (I've done the same ones 5 times so far) so if you don't get this job, at least you will know about them going forward to any other applications. Good Luck on your interview!

I really struggled with the final online test. Remembering the dot locations whilst doing the various shape comparisons. I failed all three rounds as I couldn't keep the dot positions in mind.

Oh I found that hardest of them all too, luckily for each application you get to redo the tests for each one now. So in the future I'd suggest having a bit of paper around to doodle on, it doesn't say you can't have that to help, I know I still didn't get them all right but I was a lot closer than my first attempt!

Rubicon

Thanks for the replies! I guess I just have to wait and see now anyway!

However I think I may have a problem- I'm worried that my interview hasn't been scheduled. I received the email invite and it asked me to confirm 'using the link below' which took me through to an email confirmation. I responded as asked but the application on my online account is showing 'no interviews'. I've emailed the helpdesk to check of course but wondering if anyone else has had similar. It appears there is a section on the online portal to book interviews but I wasn't directed there!

Rubicon

Thanks Novice - glad to hear you've followed the same process.

Unfortunately I had a similar situation when applying for a job with a different company a few years ago, and despite it being their error, they basically said I'd missed the opportunity. I think that's why I was slightly concerned.

ArkUTD

Thanks for the replies! I guess I just have to wait and see now anyway!

However I think I may have a problem- I'm worried that my interview hasn't been scheduled. I received the email invite and it asked me to confirm 'using the link below' which took me through to an email confirmation. I responded as asked but the application on my online account is showing 'no interviews'. I've emailed the helpdesk to check of course but wondering if anyone else has had similar. It appears there is a section on the online portal to book interviews but I wasn't directed there!
That's quite common, how the new system works! (which is annoying, caught me out first time round) As long as you have confirmed that you will turn up for the interview using the link ( If not they will email you to check ) you just need to wait till the day before when they send you a link with all the info needed to join the online interview.

ollieplo1

To my understanding after doing these new tests with the scenario, they do look at your responses, i think it just gives them a better overview of you as a person than just the interview really. They give you set scenario's (I've done the same ones 5 times so far) so if you don't get this job, at least you will know about them going forward to any other applications. Good Luck on your interview!

Oh I found that hardest of them all too, luckily for each application you get to redo the tests for each one now. So in the future I'd suggest having a bit of paper around to doodle on, it doesn't say you can't have that to help, I know I still didn't get them all right but I was a lot closer than my first attempt!
Just to clarify are you saying you have to retake the Psychometric tests for every Signaller position that you apply for? Only I have one interview booked and three other applications that have gone into assessment stage but I have not been asked to take another Psychometric test for any of those three. Do they not hold onto your initial scores for future applications? As that is how they did it when it was the SJT test format.

ArkUTD

Just to clarify are you saying you have to retake the Psychometric tests for every Signaller position that you apply for? Only I have one interview booked and three other applications that have gone into assessment stage but I have not been asked to take another Psychometric test for any of those three. Do they not hold onto your initial scores for future applications? As that is how they did it when it was the SJT test format.
From my experience if it shows as "Assessment" on there new website, it doesn't mean anything at all, only mean something when you get the invite through your email, as always they aren't the best at updating the status.

And yes I've taken the test 3 times now in the last 3 months for 3 different applications, though granted they were all for different regions so don't know if that effects it or not.

Jaxscc

I received an email informing me that the test results last for 6 months. So if you pass the assessments you can apply for positions using those results for the next 6 months. If you fail the assessments it tells you that you can't reapply for 6 months.

LeGrimpeur

That's interesting thanks. I was previously advised on here that tests were held on file for 6 months.

ollieplo1

From my experience if it shows as "Assessment" on there new website, it doesn't mean anything at all, only mean something when you get the invite through your email, as always they aren't the best at updating the status.

And yes I've taken the test 3 times now in the last 3 months for 3 different applications, though granted they were all for different regions so don't know if that effects it or not.

I received an email informing me that the test results last for 6 months. So if you pass the assessments you can apply for positions using those results for the next 6 months. If you fail the assessments it tells you that you can't reapply for 6 months.
Thank you for your input. There seems to be conflicting advice regarding the new format. It does seem odd they would require you to take the exact same Psychometric test for every single application.

Chrisjhbrown

Thank you for your input. There seems to be conflicting advice regarding the new format. It does seem odd they would require you to take the exact same Psychometric test for every single application.
I applied last year for a signalling job had 3 tests to do passed two out of the three , iv recently applied for another signaller job and didn’t have to do a test went to interview

Csb362

Your scores are saved and carried over for 6 months still

ArkUTD

Your scores are saved and carried over for 6 months still
Probably on the main website, but what I was talking about is on the new one where most of the signalling jobs are posted recently, I can't exactly be mad since I have done 3 so far titled "Signaller Scenario assessment" as well as the tests through Aon

AAs I said before, I don't know if it's because it's different regions or something, just passing it on since of course the new tests are different to the ones I've done previously.

These all came from the new website https://careershub.networkrail.co.uk/members/

Happy to PM about it, because Im very sure I'm not crazy

Last edited:

Csb362

Probably on the main website, but what I was talking about is on the new one where most of the signalling jobs are posted recently, I can't exactly be mad since I have done 3 so far titled "Signaller Scenario assessment" as well as the tests through Aon

AAs I said before, I don't know if it's because it's different regions or something, just passing it on since of course the new tests are different to the ones I've done previously.

These all came from the new website https://careershub.networkrail.co.uk/members/

That’s the same ones that I have been told my scores were saved for 6 months, I’m glad you have said that yours is different as I’m now going to email in the morning and chance my arm as I was knocked back for a grade 7-9 locally to me due to the scores

Jaxscc

Everything I did was via the new website and the email I received which informed me of the '6 months' was only 22 days ago.... very strange indeed!

cruffin

Hi all, I've just got my CV completed and ready to apply for one of the signallers jobs on the careers website and it appears to be down!

Closing date is tomorrow but getting nervous now, also worried that the vacancy has been removed due to the amount of applications.

Do you know of any alternative way to submit an application if the site remains down? I understand there's a 20 minute timed thing I have to do alongside uploading my CV. Could anyone shed some light on what this involved?

Nervously reloading website and hoping I can get to actually apply now :(

NorthernTech

Hi all, I've just got my CV completed and ready to apply for one of the signallers jobs on the careers website and it appears to be down!

Closing date is tomorrow but getting nervous now, also worried that the vacancy has been removed due to the amount of applications.

Do you know of any alternative way to submit an application if the site remains down? I understand there's a 20 minute timed thing I have to do alongside uploading my CV. Could anyone shed some light on what this involved?

Nervously reloading website and hoping I can get to actually apply now :(
Seems to be back up now, get on it! Good luck.