• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

ArchangelA

Congratulations! Me too but I am an internal candidate so just sorting a release date etc before knowing a start date.

Pension wise theres a group on Facebook who have a lot of expertise on railway pensions. Type in railway pensions on there and there’s loads of info.
Thank you

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

cowboysfan

Sorry if this subject has been muted before, I've just been offered a G6 job at WMSC Birmingham. Just checking through all the documentation that NR have sent me in terms of pensions. What's best to join CARE pension or NRDC? I totally understand that everyone has different needs but would appreciate a steer from someone in the know ;)
The CARE scheme is a larger contribution from yourself and Network Rail at 10.86% of pensionable salary paid by employer and 7.24% from yourself. Where as NRDC is up to 7% from employer and up to 4% paid yourself (you have the choice of % but caps and 7% and 4%). If you are looking to the future the CARE scheme offers you better for the long term from what I understand atleast which is why I joined the CARE scheme a year ago when I joined the company. Eventually will switch to the RPS after 5 years employment(although not sure if its better).

Also, congratulations on the job!

ArchangelA

The CARE scheme is a larger contribution from yourself and Network Rail at 10.86% of pensionable salary paid by employer and 7.24% from yourself. Where as NRDC is up to 7% from employer and up to 4% paid yourself (you have the choice of % but caps and 7% and 4%). If you are looking to the future the CARE scheme offers you better for the long term from what I understand atleast which is why I joined the CARE scheme a year ago when I joined the company. Eventually will switch to the RPS after 5 years employment(although not sure if its better).

Also, congratulations on the job!
Cheers mate! I think you're right, I've taken a lot of advice of what seems best for me, and the CARE pension appears to suit me better.

Demx93

Does anybody know where I can find signal boxes located in Staffordshire area? I’ve tried to Google but cannot find anything thanks

High Dyke

Established Member
Yeah just curious to know how many boxes there are within the Staffordshire area, thanks :)
Off the top of my head there are about 9 signal boxes and a couple of gate boxes. The majority are on the Derby - Crewe line (North Staffs), Also on the Burton - Lichfield line and Stoke-on-Trent.

Chrisjhbrown

Thankyou.

Would those of you who have joined recently see signalling as a job for life? Does that seem like a realistic prospect given the plans to restructure? I have over 30 years of working life left all being well

When boxes close, as I believe King's Cross did earlier in the year, or Peterborough is planned to by 2023, were the staff offered to move with the job to York ROC?

Is there an updated list available to the public on when boxes are due to close or are they only shown internally? I've tried using the search function on here but can only find threads from years ago with expired links.
I’m going into Helpston I think Pboro will be there after 2023

dkuli6666

Anyone else been offered a grade 6 job at West Midlands Signalling Centre in the last few days? Start date 29th Nov? ;)
Firstly massive congratulations, I bet it’s an amazing feeling knowing you’ve made it!
I noticed in your posts some time back you were put on a reserve list as I too was after making it through to interview stage in the summer.
I still haven’t heard anything from network rail and wondered if you were on the same reserve list as I was or one from a previous application.
Starting to think I may have been overlooked again and was hoping you could shed some light on your experience? Congratulations again on your success and all the best for the future.
Cheers Dom

ArchangelA

Firstly massive congratulations, I bet it’s an amazing feeling knowing you’ve made it!
I noticed in your posts some time back you were put on a reserve list as I too was after making it through to interview stage in the summer.
I still haven’t heard anything from network rail and wondered if you were on the same reserve list as I was or one from a previous application.
Starting to think I may have been overlooked again and was hoping you could shed some light on your experience? Congratulations again on your success and all the best for the future.
Cheers Dom
Hi mate. NO idea what list you were on but I start on 29th. I know of at least two others from here who are in the same boat as I

I think that we all need to be mindful that this post is now well over 408 pages long and not everyone wants to read it, or they may read it and miss the point for whatever reason, which raises further questions for them. We should all do our best to help them whether it's been published before or not, because assisting the public and your colleagues is a major competence required in the industry despite all the signage and literature available around the railway, and all the SFQ's (look it up) that you'll encounter whilst on duty.
This Forum is here for all to seek the answers to valid questions, such as that posted by Sammy2019 and countless others who want help. They may be your esteemed colleague one day.
Has anybody considered compiling a shorter post on Signaller Career FAQ's-which could be a better and shorter index of the commonly asked questions for anyone considering a career as a signaller? Maybe something to consider, as I for one am a little tired of seeing the same old disagreements arising on this when someone asks a question?
Well said ..

wingnut1982

Just seen on the Fb group that pensions are only based on your base rate - so don’t include any shift allowance/roster premiums aren’t included. Is this correct?

ArchangelA

Any signallers on here able to comment on what the situation is regarding wearing of Network Rail uniform whilst on duty, ie are you expected to wear it?? What is the uniform allowance in terms of what and how much uniform NR issue to a signaller?

Last edited:

Saracen_83

Any signallers on here able to comment on what the situation is regarding wearing of Network Rail uniform whilst on duty, ie are you expected to wear it?? What is the uniform allowance in terms of what and how much uniform NR issue to a signaller?

Id assume it is location dependant….

if it helps, at my location there is not requirement for uniform for signallers…. Anything goes, shorts tracksuits and any top you see fit…. Some do wear NR branded tops, but it not enforced….

when I first started, I was offered 3-4 t shirts, a coat and a fleece…. However new starters now have been offered less due to budget constraints…. Just check with your LOM, if they are enforcing uniform, then obviously they will need to supply you with a decent amount of gear…..

Varies entirely from place to place. Where I’m at, the policy is that there’s no requirement to wear uniform; but, if you have requested/ordered kit regardless, you’re somewhat expected to wear it. So simply don’t put a request in if the uniform isn’t for you.

The standard order consists of several blue polo shirts and pullover sweaters. There’s also some darker T-shirts available, cargo trousers and, if your location needs you to be lineside to access, you’ll get some hi-vis and sturdy footwear.

ArchangelA

Thanks to everyone who has replied, I think that the general opinion is then that Network Rail are quite relaxed about uniform unless you relaly have to (for special reasons).

Anneruon

Hello everyone! Long time lurker first time questioner.
I have a question about pay as a signaller.
Is the pay advertised in the job adverts inclusive of things such as shift allowance?
For instance a grade 4 is advertised as about £35k. Is this how much you'll be earning with Sundays, shift allowance etc or is all of that additional? And if it is additional how much does it make up?

Thank you in advance for your help :)

HamSandwich

Hello everyone! Long time lurker first time questioner.
I have a question about pay as a signaller.
Is the pay advertised in the job adverts inclusive of things such as shift allowance?
For instance a grade 4 is advertised as about £35k. Is this how much you'll be earning with Sundays, shift allowance etc or is all of that additional? And if it is additional how much does it make up?

Thank you in advance for your help :)

No, all of the other stuff is additional and on top of the approx £35k. As to how much it makes up - depends really on your box opening times (some are closed at night and on Sundays) and if you're working 12 or 8 hour shifts. Some places you will be expected to work a lot of overtime and others there is barely any. Hope this helps :)

wingnut1982

No, all of the other stuff is additional and on top of the approx £35k. As to how much it makes up - depends really on your box opening times (some are closed at night and on Sundays) and if you're working 12 or 8 hour shifts. Some places you will be expected to work a lot of overtime and others there is barely any. Hope this helps :)
If you add just over a third onto the base rate you should be in the rough region. So £35k x 1.35 = £47k(ish).

Kraken

If you add just over a third onto the base rate you should be in the rough region. So £35k x 1.35 = £47k(ish).

Whilst that is not unrealistic I would definitely not use that as a figure for financial planning. I am on a bit more that £35k base salary and I have only managed to come close to or exceed a £47k pro rata salary on a couple of pay periods this year, even with taking a decent amount of overtime. I think it would be easier to achieve on a 12hr shift pattern.