• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Hi All! I’m due to start Signaller School soon. Which I can’t wait for!

Im used to working shift work as I have done so for the last 4 years, however everywhere seems to suggest a different shift pattern?

My box will be Haslemere as a grade 3. Has anyone worked this area and could like me know how the shifts work?

Thanks in advance!
The Mighty Mere is a fantastic box, beloved by all, you’ll have a great time there I’m sure

Shifts for the direct boxes are
Su M T W Th F S
R N N N N N N
N R. R L. L. L. L
R L. L. R. E. E. E
E. E. E. E. R. R. R

Early - 06:15 - 12:45
Late - 12:45 - 20:15
Night - 20:15 - 06:15
Sundays are 06:15-18:15 and 18:15-06:15

Amberk

Good morning ladies and gents, would anyone be able to shed any light on which boxes might be included on recent advert for grade 2 sheffield/Gainsbrough/Wakefield/York advert. It doesnt specify on the advert, someone mentioned Maltby colliery also? I have an interview soon and a bit of research is always a good idea about potential patches. Many thanks

High Dyke

Established Member
Hello. Can't say for certain. However, Gainsborough would be Gainsborough Central and York may include boxes on the Harrogate line.

The trouble with some of these adverts is they're a bit vague on area. When I started the advert stated "Grantham, Newark and Nottingham area", which at the time incorporated more than a dozen signal boxes and about eight level crossing boxes.

Qball

Worksop area - Shirebrook, Clipstone, Thorseby

Harrogate area - Starbeck, Cattal, Hammerton

Scarborough area - Weaverthorpe, Bridlington, Malton

Knottingley area - Cutsyke, Prince of Wales

Pablo65

These seem to be what was once called Future Opportunities roles I think. You will likely go Signaller School, then train and pass out at the box you have been allocated. However....as these are FTC's what NR will want you to do is to apply for permanent roles as they become available during training and beyond.

Amberk

These seem to be what was once called Future Opportunities roles I think. You will likely go Signaller School, then train and pass out at the box you have been allocated. However....as these are FTC's what NR will want you to do is to apply for permanent roles as they become available during training and beyond.
Yes I believe you are correct. 12 month fixed term roles. It's my only concern really. Bar the paycut but I can stand that for job satisfaction and potential yo develop in a role
I received a reply from very helpful lady from HR so I would be matched to maltby,kiverton and possible Gainsborough Brigg etc. I'm also pretty close to Totley tunnel and a Wakefield box I can't remember the name of.
Anyone know anything about any of the boxes? Previously or currently work in them?

Raikkonen7

Yes I believe you are correct. 12 month fixed term roles. It's my only concern really. Bar the paycut but I can stand that for job satisfaction and potential yo develop in a role
I received a reply from very helpful lady from HR so I would be matched to maltby,kiverton and possible Gainsborough Brigg etc. I'm also pretty close to Totley tunnel and a Wakefield box I can't remember the name of.
Anyone know anything about any of the boxes? Previously or currently work in them?
Totley Box does 12hr shifts and
is a grade 3. Absolute block to Grindleford and track circuit block to York Roc Sheffield using a train describer. There are approximately 6 trains an hour on both lines, however this can increase/ decrease depending on the time of day and the level of freight traffic. It is expected to close in mid 2023.

Amberk

Totley Box does 12hr shifts and
is a grade 3. Absolute block to Grindleford and track circuit block to York Roc Sheffield using a train describer. There are approximately 6 trains an hour on both lines, however this can increase/ decrease depending on the time of day and the level of freight traffic. It is expected to close in mid 2023.
Thanks for the reply! I think all the boxes are expected to close in the next two years that they are looking for staff for. Or so it seems anyway. I know that some sb closures have been put back due to covid.

Dandan062

Great. Do you know what you will be doing in the meantime? Think my contract starts mid-December, just curious to what activities happen between then and starting signalling school.
I was told start date would be 4th Jan at the boxes I will be working. But haven’t heard anything else chases them today and they say they are still waiting for the drugs and alcohol test to come back. Which I did on 11th Nov !?

ArchangelA

I was told start date would be 4th Jan at the boxes I will be working. But haven’t heard anything else chases them today and they say they are still waiting for the drugs and alcohol test to come back. Which I did on 11th Nov !?
Good luck with that, Optima can take forever

Sy_!

So had my medical last week, the chap said there was a 3 day turn around for the urine test.

the recruitment team has hinting at a January start, anyone been officially loaded onto the Jan course ?

Times getting close for giving notice in work !

ArchangelA

So had my medical last week, the chap said there was a 3 day turn around for the urine test.

the recruitment team has hinting at a January start, anyone been officially loaded onto the Jan course ?

Times getting close for giving notice in work !
I went through same thing. Literally gave me 5 weeks to make a decision. Everything been last minute

Anneruon

I was told the same start date, with signalling school on 10th Jan in Milton Keynes.
I did my medical on 17th Nov, was told 5 working days for the results but still waiting...
I'm meant to be handing my notice in Friday next week, it's all starting to feel very tight

UVB76

I went through same thing. Literally gave me 5 weeks to make a decision. Everything been last minute

Hi mate, how's life now you're free? Must be a massive relief but a strange feeling as well?

I passed all the psychometrics and did the Signaller Scenario interview on sat. Had my virtual interview this morning, just awaiting results now

ArchangelA

Hi mate, how's life now you're free? Must be a massive relief but a strange feeling as well?

I passed all the psychometrics and did the Signaller Scenario interview on sat. Had my virtual interview this morning, just awaiting results now
Hi mate, lets just say its a strange feeling. And I still cannot believe im there lol Good luck with youre results. Let us know how you get on

moorw003

Anybody know how long do NR typically take to contact after an interview in either the positive or negative?

Sy_!

Anybody know how long do NR typically take to contact after an interview in either the positive or negative?
I was lucky enough to be told the next day after my interview. They said at the end of my interview that I was the second to last to be interviewed and then they would be doing the grading the following day.
So I guess it all depends on how many more had to be interviewed.

Jaysub

has anyone generous enough to share some info on the new scenario questions and virtual interview?

i assume its the 8 nts questions and safe code but seems alot different this time???

moorw003

I was lucky enough to be told the next day after my interview. They said at the end of my interview that I was the second to last to be interviewed and then they would be doing the grading the following day.
So I guess it all depends on how many more had to be interviewed.
Cheers. I had my interview on Tuesday afternoon. After the interview they said they were continuing to interview into Wednesday, but hopefully you would find out within 3 days. Today is 3 days and nothing so far. I'm not at all confident in any case, but we'll see what occurs.

Amberk

I specifically asked the time frame to find out for the Yorkshire Lincolnshire york interviews and they said that it would be the 9th they started the calls

Tanky

Hi all! Did anyone apply for the recent advert for the Holyhead - Conwy line and heard anything back? I was advised I’d hear back week after 10th nov but am still waiting to hear. I presume it’s unsuccessful but am keen to apply for other posts but with feedback to improve so I don’t check emails every day waiting!

MD01

Your both right and wrong. At present TBASC is a 65 week 8 hour roster, but from January 2018 it will become two 38 week rosters. One roster (link) will become a 12 hour roster and the other roster (link) will continue as a 8 hour roster. All current staf were placed on the roster of their choice.

First of all, welcome to the team.

I’ll pm you regarding the rosters. Happy reading lol
Hi Sunset,

Are you still at TBROC?