• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Nemo01

Hello all,

How do those working 12 hours shifts cope with starting a stint of lates? For example if you're off Monday-Wednesday and wake up Thursday with a 6pm/7pm start in the evening? Are you able to nap before the shift or do you just power through? I just find it a concerning I might find myself in a situation where I've been awake for 20+ hours.
I normally pull an all nighter, or stay up as late as possible, then wake up late afternoon on the Thursday

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Amberk

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a tricky situation. I got the role which I am so happy about its my dream job. But I've just found out I'm pregnant. By the time training starts I will be about 5 months pregnant. I don't know what to do, I'm worried I will no longer have the job once I've disclosed this. Any advice or details or maternity policy. Much appreciated.
I would guess that like most places you would need to be employed for 26 weeks prior to your 25th week of pregnancy. Speak to your lom they may be able to find something office based until you can return to duty. Though be prepared to only get maternity allowance which isn't great

Bibz

I would guess that like most places you would need to be employed for 26 weeks prior to your 25th week of pregnancy. Speak to your lom they may be able to find something office based until you can return to duty. Though be prepared to only get maternity allowance which isn't great
Thank you for getting back to me. I don't mind only receiving smp as my current place would only give that. My only concern is it they revoke my offer, or if I can't complete training heavily pregnant.

Amberk

Either way you will have to fess up. They will need to risk asses you using the rigs etc. I don't even think you would get smp. It would be maternity allowance. Best idea is to talk to the lom. Hopefully the won't recind the offer as they are big champions for equality and diversity

Bibz

Either way you will have to fess up. They will need to risk asses you using the rigs etc. I don't even think you would get smp. It would be maternity allowance. Best idea is to talk to the lom. Hopefully the won't recind the offer as they are big champions for equality and diversity
That's true, won't be something I can keep to myself. Okay. Thank you

Nemo01

That's true, won't be something I can keep to myself. Okay. Thank you
I don't think they would be allowed to withdraw the job offer as a result of your pregnancy as that would be discrimination (Equality Act 2010). I would wait until all your background checks have been completed and your offer is no longer conditional before disclosing your pregnancy.

Last edited:

Bibz

I don't think they would be allowed to withdraw the job offer as a result of your pregnancy as that would be discrimination (Equality Act 2010). I would wait until all your background checks have been completed and your offer is no longer conditional before disclosing your pregnancy.
Thats a very good point. Thank you, that's very helpful. I'm still waiting for some checks.

Signal_Box

Hello all,

How do those working 12 hours shifts cope with starting a stint of lates? For example if you're off Monday-Wednesday and wake up Thursday with a 6pm/7pm start in the evening? Are you able to nap before the shift or do you just power through? I just find it a concerning I might find myself in a situation where I've been awake for 20+ hours.

You don’t get used to it (18 years of shift work) it gets worse as you get older, I’m regularly dead on my feet by day two of my week of days after a period of rest.

Hi guys, I'm in a bit of a tricky situation. I got the role which I am so happy about its my dream job. But I've just found out I'm pregnant. By the time training starts I will be about 5 months pregnant. I don't know what to do, I'm worried I will no longer have the job once I've disclosed this. Any advice or details or maternity policy. Much appreciated.

If you’ve signed your contract you WILL NOT be dumped without a job.

The likely outcome is you’ll do office based tasks until you give birth, then once your back from maternity leave you’ll be sent to school. Potentially you could ask to attend one close to home so you don’t miss you baby for the 12 weeks of being away.

But rest assured this is 1970 and being pregnant isn’t going to loose you your dream job.

MrSig

You don’t get used to it (18 years of shift work) it gets worse as you get older, I’m regularly dead on my feet by day two of my week of days after a period of rest.

If you’ve signed your contract you WILL NOT be dumped without a job.

The likely outcome is you’ll do office based tasks until you give birth, then once your back from maternity leave you’ll be sent to school. Potentially you could ask to attend one close to home so you don’t miss you baby for the 12 weeks of being away.

But rest assured this is 1970 and being pregnant isn’t going to loose you your dream job.
And just to add onto the shift question; does anyone know of or themselves suffer from any health related issues caused by the shifts/role as a whole?

SignallerJohn

And just to add onto the shift question; does anyone know of or themselves suffer from any health related issues caused by the shifts/role as a whole?
what box are you going to?

night shift work is very bad for you and has been compared to a carcinogen.

not to be rude but you’ve also mentioned struggling with nights, are you sure that shifts and signalling is what you actually want?

wingnut1982

Moving Location - Advice Sought

Looking to have a chat/get some advice from anyone on here who:

1. Has moved their location (i.e. applied and secured a job elsewhere from their initial application) during or before their IST?

Or

2. If you haven’t experienced this yourself but you know the rules/issues/difficulties involved because maybe you know someone who has?

Would be great to find out some more about it.

Thanks in advance.

gareth386

1. Has moved their location (i.e. applied and secured a job elsewhere from their initial application) during or before their IST?

Or

2. If you haven’t experienced this yourself but you know the rules/issues/difficulties involved because maybe you know someone who has?

Thanks in advance.

It happens quite a lot, so can imagine there's a few on here who have experience of this.

My take is that there's a good chance that you'll piss off your initial LOM who has taken the chance on you and given you this opportunity.
The railway is a small world and you may come across them later in your career.
But the big question is, is the new location better for you and your circumstances?
If so, go for it.

High Dyke

Established Member

Or

Thanks in advance.
Reference: Moving locations.

There are those that are set in their ways - I'm probably like that - who are happy in the location or grade they're in. However, some signallers wish to progress in their career. That is their choice, and fair credit to them for trying. In most cases it works out alright for them. I am aware of colleagues who stepped up to a considerably higher grade, only to find it didn't suit them. They've now found a position that suits them.

For my.own part, a number of years ago, my own role was facing some uncertainty. I applied for a higher grade resident signaller position, I was a relief at the time and still am. However, everyone I spoke to (wife, colleagues and also management) all asked if I would be settled in the chosen position. I had to be honest and say no. I don't regret not making that step, but equally if it hadn't worked out then my own circumstances may have been a lot different.

The important message here is believe in yourself, know what is achievable and what isn't, but take the opportunity if it suits. There will always be movement of signallers, and it's something management expect, to some extent. I've known management encourage their staff to apply for promotion.

wingnut1982

There are those that are set in their ways - I'm probably like that - who are happy in the location or grade they're in. However, some signallers wish to progress in their career. That is their choice, and fair credit to them for trying. In most cases it works out alright for them. I am aware of colleagues who stepped up to a considerably higher grade, only to find it didn't suit them. They've now found a position that suits them.

For my.own part, a number of years ago, my own role was facing some uncertainty. I applied for a higher grade resident signaller position, I was a relief at the time and still am. However, everyone I spoke to (wife, colleagues and also management) all asked if I would be settled in the chosen position. I had to be honest and say no. I don't regret not making that step, but equally if it hadn't worked out then my own circumstances may have been a lot different.

The important message here is believe in yourself, know what is achievable and what isn't, but take the opportunity if it suits. There will always be movement of signallers, and it's something management expect, to some extent. I've known management encourage their staff to apply for promotion.
Thanks for the response. Change in personal circumstances means different options have now become possible so considering those possibilities.

Thanks for the insights and advice High Dyke!

It happens quite a lot, so can imagine there's a few on here who have experience of this.

My take is that there's a good chance that you'll piss off your initial LOM who has taken the chance on you and given you this opportunity.
The railway is a small world and you may come across them later in your career.
But the big question is, is the new location better for you and your circumstances?
If so, go for it.
Thanks Gareth

Last edited:

SalzH

Hi mate, I’m in the same position as you, applied for a few vacancies, sometimes I get through to the testing process, and some I’ve not even been invited to test, it’s very frustrating! Sometimes you just have to accept that there’s better candidates out there! All you can do is keep working on your application, cv, and just keep plugging away

Thanks for the reply mate. I know what you mean, I've yet to get put through to the testing phase. I've put another application in this weekend so I'll see how that goes. Fingers crossed.

MrSig

what box are you going to?

night shift work is very bad for you and has been compared to a carcinogen.

not to be rude but you’ve also mentioned struggling with nights, are you sure that shifts and signalling is what you actually want?
I do want to be a Signaler but want to be as educated and aware of the health risks as possible. I currently work 12 hours shifts at varying start times now (not quite the 5pm/6pm/7pm - 5am/6am/7am) and have done the last 7 years in my current role. Would like to add that my current rota is a mix of days and nights, not just nights.

I just want to know what world I'm moving into and the best ways to navigate it to ensure I'm maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Now if the feedback is that health and Signaling do not and cannot run parallel then that's a different conversation I suppose.

Just looking for a much honest feedback as possible so I really appreciate the reply.

C00k1e

Hi folks, I have had a quick search on this thread but couldn’t find any recent info. I was wondering if anyone knows if or when Basingstoke asc is scheduled to transfer to the Basingstoke roc? I realise that the programme to centralise a lot of the SB’s on the Wessex Route is all over the place for various reasons but I was wondering if there was any recent info regarding this? Also does anyone know if this would remain a G5 once relocated and will any panels combine if relocated to the roc? I’m enquiring purely out of interest.
Many thanks.

Dunnideer

I do want to be a Signaler but want to be as educated and aware of the health risks as possible. I currently work 12 hours shifts at varying start times now (not quite the 5pm/6pm/7pm - 5am/6am/7am) and have done the last 7 years in my current role. Would like to add that my current rota is a mix of days and nights, not just nights.

I just want to know what world I'm moving into and the best ways to navigate it to ensure I'm maintaining a healthy lifestyle. Now if the feedback is that health and Signaling do not and cannot run parallel then that's a different conversation I suppose.

Just looking for a much honest feedback as possible so I really appreciate the reply.
Signalling, especially in ASCs, IECCs or ROCs, can be a pretty sedentary job though some of the ROCs do have a small gym on site for you to use on a break. There’s no denying that shiftwork can knock you for six and it’s all too easy to bring in junk food and overeat. Nights shifts in multi manned boxes in particular also tend to end up with curry night, kebab club etc…

Ultimately your lifestyle in and away from work can be as healthy as you want to make it. I much prefer working outside to being in the box, I’m much healtheir now than I ever was then.

godfreycomplex

Established Member
Hi folks, I have had a quick search on this thread but couldn’t find any recent info. I was wondering if anyone knows if or when Basingstoke asc is scheduled to transfer to the Basingstoke roc? I realise that the programme to centralise a lot of the SB’s on the Wessex Route is all over the place for various reasons but I was wondering if there was any recent info regarding this? Also does anyone know if this would remain a G5 once relocated and will any panels combine if relocated to the roc? I’m enquiring purely out of interest.
Many thanks.
Basingstoke ASC is fairly near the bottom of the list so won’t be moving for quite some time (as in at least a decade) I would expect

mac

Has anyone got any idea how many hours we can be booked to work in a 7 day period from October, we had paperwork from the union about a year ago saying 48 hours average but could extend to 60 if needed now it seems 60 is the average

Chrisjhbrown

All track circuits up to and including the overlap of the next stop signal are clear , all Necessary points within the route are detected in the correct position for a train to pass safely

AntoniC

Thank you for getting back to me. I don't mind only receiving smp as my current place would only give that. My only concern is it they revoke my offer, or if I can't complete training heavily pregnant
Thats a very good point. Thank you, that's very helpful. I'm still waiting for some checks.
Once you have signed the contract then tell them - pregnancy is one of the protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010 Pregnancy & the Equality Act 2010.
You may want to consider joining a Union for extra insurance

SignallerJohn

Once you have signed the contract then tell them - pregnancy is one of the protected characteristics under the Equality Act 2010 Pregnancy & the Equality Act 2010.
You may want to consider joining a Union for extra insurance
Everybody should be in a union. Even more so as a signaller, the scope for things to go wrong is massive. And the reason we have sought after jobs when 40 years ago they weren’t is because the union men did what was required.

Sixteen Bells

Can Signallers join another union that isn't the RMT? Say the TSSA? Would they be able to provide support and legal cover should I be involved in a major incident? Don't want to really get into the political side of things on why you would want to not join the RMT just want a simple answer.