• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

JMH77

As you said the Grade 3 at Peterborough Power signal box came up before and was not a fixed term, they removed it from external networkrail careers site and relisted it as 1 year postition along with a job on the main panel, the grade 6.

Are you off the street, ie. not currently with Network Rail?

The grade 3 job is a CCTV crossing camera panel, nx panel which is the same buttons and look/feel as the infamous 'gatestown' panel you will train on at signal school, unless you somehow do the older absoloute block lever simulator or the later westcad computer signalling. The buttons will feel the same and familar to you. Its fast and furious in terms of trains at times, you will be keeping your wits about you and trains coming from all over at peak moments, being aware of cars and people skipping the red lights at barrier CCTV crossings but the job is an easy 30k+ your sundays, bank holidays and night shift premiums on top. Sometimes crossings will fail and you'll get S+ T signalling techs calling you up to test things, Mobile operation managers switching in the panels of the old signal boxes that are still there, used when taking local control at possessions at night, you'll get the odd annoyed motorist who thinks the road came first and asking you to raise the barriers when you've already signalled anoter train across the panel, but thats about it. Most of the time you press the picture button to get the camera on the screen of one of the 6 crossings it deals with, press lower, wait till their down and you've got a flashing indication, then press the green crossing clear button, then you press the sginall button to clear the signal on the ground out there. That's it. At times you won't get a call on the phones for like 6 days in a row.

When line blockages are taken or T3 possessions from workers like S+T, MOMS or contracters its the big main panel (Grade 6 south and north (P'Boro station) panel) who deals with it, going through the long form, protecting signals with plastic reminds over the buttons to prevent pressing, and you'll just write the details of such, ie the limits of the line or signal numbers in your occurance book, you may, if you have the protecting signal, have to put your reminder on and confirm in person, verbally that you've done so. The night shift is your biggest involvment phone wise, you get called up asking if they can take local control of a crossing, see the rule book TS9 which you can download from RSBB site. Its easy once you've done it and used ot it, they call up as for local, you repeat back if its ok, give them permsssion to take it, give them a time when its over to them, out of your control and write it in the crossing phone recrods book.

The roster is a 6 man roster, including you, 6 weeks,, there is 1 hard week of earlys 0600- 1400, 7 days in a row, every six week, 1 week of 7 days in a row night shift 2200 - 0600, and the rest is a few lates 1400 - 2200, with some 'spare' days where you could be doing just 4 hours a day relieving your signaller, good times, or you could get lumbered with someones sickenss or anual leave, so you do their shift, probaly nights lol. When it works out its great, sometimes you'll curse. 1 week is an easy week of monday off, tuesday off, wed spare so potentially 4hrs day, thurday safety brief day in the office with other signallers so quick day and then back on it. You always get 1 week, 7 days of rest days every 6 weeks!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The grade 6 job is the main panel, its a huge long electronic panel from the 70's-80's which is standing up signalling, not sitting down in a chair like the NXP crossing panel. The crossing panel sits at the back of the box and almost has its own cubicle feel to it, the SSM shift signal manager sits in the midle futher back but not as far back as the grade 3 crossing panel. The main panel, is the south from London Kings Cross, through to the Peterbough main station, 7 platforms, which goes on to Doncaster and Lincoln etc. Helpston is another box under the Peterbough LOM local operations mangers which is an old school level looking box from afar but is 6 crossings again, 5 remote on the panel and one at the location, if you get that job you'll deal with them on the phone. The roster for that job is 15 man, so you only get your week of 7 rest days every 15 weeks, BUT you don't have to plow through 7 days of earlys or 7 days of nights, its more split up, more consistent 3-4 days off together. The main grade 6 panel is older tech, still push button panel signalling BUT actually looks more futuristic than the newer NXP crossing panel but there are issues with it, ie buttons that don't press so well or things taken out of use or anomolies, quirks you get used to.

On the main panel a good relief is about 20 mins before shift time, with the worst arriving at 10 to the hour. The grade 3 crossing panel is different and their reliefs get in a half past the hour or qaurter to, to let you go home. All the people are fairly good, they'll help you out and are a decent bunch, good laugh etc etc. You get the odd moaner or doom and gloom merchant but even they have things to offer. They'll help you out when learning. The current manager is decent. The PSB is on the second tier, second floor, so you're elevant above the track and can see the station and all trains passing by etc, you're right there in the action. The flooring in the box creek like hell though so you'll love the ones who pace around, you'll get used to fading that out though. Main panel you'll deal with line blockages, t3 at night shift, passing signal at danger, track circuit issues, S+T wanting things, drivers calling up on the GSMR radio and having to use the walkie talkie radio to contact platform staff about changes. The grade 6 is 37k plus your sundays, banks and night shifts as detailed before. South pannel has very little to do and is called a grade 4 by the signallers, its the north side which is more work, its known as grade 7, hence the grade 6 overall. Some love it as it makes the shift move quick, others like the south panel and always ask what side they're on when offered a rest day work or sunday overtime.

I've not proof read this, so if it reads a bit wonky then I don't really care, lol, but saw your posts and hope this helps. If you don't get in, then just keep hammering out the applications. Once in you get to see the internal jobs site and you're laughing, plus you have the experience for the next interviews. Good luck.

Thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed explanation. It's much appreciated and a bit of inside perspective is very valuable. I must say the one thing that concerns me is the shift patterns and the effect it would have on the regular arrangement I have with my son but I guess it's swings and roundabouts. I've just had the "invited to test" email so I best get cracking with that this evening.

Edited to add: I am off the street so no prior experience. This is the first position I have applied for.

Sinistah

my three bridges changed to under consideration for assessment 2 for 5 minutes before changing to just under consideration

Sinistah

I reckon interviews are in the new year now for most of these . The next signaller school is in late feb so it will be a bit of a wait I reckon

Meister

I'm guessing no interviews are likely to be held before the new year? Applied for West Hampstead Grade 8.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Suits me of a sort with a 3month notice period!! If I can get an interview soon :P

JMH77

Well I did the online tests last night and checked my account first thing this morning and it's already come back as unsuccessful. Not too sure where I went wrong other than maybe trying to do all three tests one after the other quite late in the evening. I'm guessing you don't get any kind of score or feedback on these?

glenblade

Hi I'm new to this forum I have applied for a grade 2 signaller position at beighton Sheffield passed the online tests and now received a email stating it's been passed to the hiring manager on the application itself it says I am under consideration for assessment 2 just wondered if anyone could advise what happens next cheers

Roadster 7

Hi,
I have had an email this morning saying I've met the required bench mark in the online test and my application is being considered, for Peterborough G3 and G6 positions.
Does this mean I may get an interview?
I still have this small amount of worry about it being 12 month fixed term contract. I am assuming this is because Peterborough box is closing in 2019 is this a 100% definate?
Would I have a good chance of getting another signalling job in the East Midlands area before it closes? Having a young family, mortgage etc. Makes it a little worrying!
Thanks

Greatful

Hi I'm new to this forum I have applied for a grade 2 signaller position at beighton Sheffield passed the online tests and now received a email stating it's been passed to the hiring manager on the application itself it says I am under consideration for assessment 2 just wondered if anyone could advise what happens next cheers

Yes , it' up to the hiring manager to pick you from a list of candidates for an interview . Best of luck

LAX54

Established Member
Must also speak volumes that people from the 'Street' are getting Grade 8 positions !

LAX54

Established Member
Maybe as it used to be 'dead men's shoes' to get a Grade E or F job (current 8 and 9), but now it seems no one from the lower grades are that interested in them, yes you do get some staff applying for higher grades, but not as much as in the past.
A lot of course may be down to travelling, but even in BR days the 60 to 80 min travel distance applied, tho not strictly adhered to

Maybe as it used to be 'dead men's shoes' to get a Grade E or F job (current 8 and 9), but now it seems no one from the lower grades are that interested in them, yes you do get some staff applying for higher grades, but not as much as in the past.
A lot of course may be down to travelling, but even in BR days the 60 to 80 min travel distance applied, tho not strictly adhered to
NR has travel distance restrictions? I did wonder but I hadn’t noticed it mentioned in the postings?

Sunset route

Established Member

Just a quick correction

Residential Crossing Keeper.

Residential Crossing Keeper Now Grade 1

Signalling Grade 1994 restructuring.

Crossing Keeper Now Grade 1
Signalman Class A Now Grade 2
Relief Signalman 1 Now Grade 2
Signalman Class B Now Grade 3
Relief Signalman 2 Now Grade 3
Signalman Class C Now Grade 4
Relief Signalman 3 Now Grade 4
Signalman Class D Now Grade 5
Signalman Class E Now Grade 6
Signalman Class F Now Grade 7
Signalman Special Class F Now Grade 7

New grade created with the 1994 restructuring Grade 8
New Grade created after the 1994 restructuring Grade 9

Saracen_83

Why is it “dead men’s shoes”???

I thought they advertised the posts internally and if no one applied/got the job then it went external????

I’ve applied for grade 8 and 9 posts as an external..... does that mean I shouldn’t get them or I’ll be looked down on or something if I get the job???

Sunset route

Established Member
Why is it “dead men’s shoes”???

I’ve applied for grade 8 and 9 posts as an external..... does that mean I shouldn’t get them or I’ll be looked down on or something if I get the job???

Dead mans shoes usually means that it is a much sort after job that is currently coverered by staff that are young enough, that you are waiting for them to retire before a vacancy appears.

At my location we’ve just taken on 11 grade 9s that are new to signalling and or new to the Railway (off the street if you like).

Saracen_83

Dead mans shoes usually means that it is a much sort after job that is currently coverered by staff that are young enough, that you are waiting for them to retire before a vacancy appears.

At my location we’ve just taken on 11 grade 9s that are new to signalling and or new to the Railway (off the street if you like).

So not looked down upon or anything???

Yes I appreciate that it is a sought after job, hours, pay, working condition, job satisfaction, time off etc all add to a fantastic work/life balance, one of the reasons I’m applying, although it will be a pay cut for me, I’d rather be happy in my work and happy with the time off with my family than earning more yet working 6/7 days a week stressed at all times even when not at work!!!!!

Established Member
Must also speak volumes that people from the 'Street' are getting Grade 8 positions !
I was in signalling school in 1985 with a guy who had been a Railman on a station for a matter of months who was going to Old Oak Common (think it was the old grade F). On the other hand those of us starting out on the adjoining LM region had little chance of progressing beyond a Grade B at that time; no cross region moves allowed in those days!

In fact one of my colleagues at the time who was a Grade C on the LM did ask if he could apply for Old Oak but was refused.

tiptoptaff

Established Member
Is it "easy" to progress on up the grades once you're in? Having applied for a G4, knowing there are better paying G7s at the same location is a motivation if I could progress in to one

contrad!ction

Is it "easy" to progress on up the grades once you're in? Having applied for a G4, knowing there are better paying G7s at the same location is a motivation if I could progress in to one

If you aren’t totally hopeless then reasonably easy yes. The internal vacancies don’t get anywhere near as many applicants as the external ones (in general) and the interview is much more rules/signalling based than the external one which is more general.

The bigger issue will be waiting for a vacancy to come up at your location of choice, some places recruit regularly and others very rarely depending on staffing levels/turnover. If you’re prepared to move then you’ll be snapped up at any of the larger centres (For example, TVSC at Didcot seem to recruit fairly frequently at all levels from grade 7/8/9 signallers to grade 10 shift managers).

There’s all sorts of other jobs you can go into as well (still operations based) with a signalling background. The obvious ones are as a shift manager or LOM/OM but you’ve also got a signalling inspector (in charge of rules/instructions etc...), area possessions coordinator, project operations roles (writing procedures/instructions for signallers for new/amended signalling schemes) and loads more. There may also be the opportunity to be a deputy shift manager where you’re still a signaller but are trained up as a shift manager to cover when needed, which can be a good insight into whether the progression up to an SSM is what you want (I’ve no idea whether SWCC have deputies or not though but it seems pretty common in the larger centres). To do this I’d imagine you’d need to step up to the grade 7 first though.

Hope that helps!

tiptoptaff

Established Member
If you aren’t totally hopeless then reasonably easy yes. The internal vacancies don’t get anywhere near as many applicants as the external ones (in general) and the interview is much more rules/signalling based than the external one which is more general.

The bigger issue will be waiting for a vacancy to come up at your location of choice, some places recruit regularly and others very rarely depending on staffing levels/turnover. If you’re prepared to move then you’ll be snapped up at any of the larger centres (For example, TVSC at Didcot seem to recruit fairly frequently at all levels from grade 7/8/9 signallers to grade 10 shift managers).

There’s all sorts of other jobs you can go into as well (still operations based) with a signalling background. The obvious ones are as a shift manager or LOM/OM but you’ve also got a signalling inspector (in charge of rules/instructions etc...), area possessions coordinator, project operations roles (writing procedures/instructions for signallers for new/amended signalling schemes) and loads more. There may also be the opportunity to be a deputy shift manager where you’re still a signaller but are trained up as a shift manager to cover when needed, which can be a good insight into whether the progression up to an SSM is what you want (I’ve no idea whether SWCC have deputies or not though but it seems pretty common in the larger centres). To do this I’d imagine you’d need to step up to the grade 7 first though.

Hope that helps!

Thanks for the detailed reply! Plenty to progress on to then! Keeping my fingers crossed then! Can't imagine I'll hear much before Christmas now

SignallerJohn

Fantastic thread, really detailed and informative.

Anyone know why the Cambridge Grade 7 has popped back up again? Could this be because not enough applicants or because of the 1 year fixed term?

Sinistah

I noticed a role for delay attributor pop up x5 Crawley and London. Not sure if its worth doing for a year of so just to get into the industry. Im seriously considering it but I heard its not such a nice job to do