• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Richie P

Its the top 5 scores who get taken through to interview, so even though your scores were not enough to get you through this time they may well be next time. Jist keep applying and eventually luck will be on your side! Multiple vacancies will obviously take more than 5 people through to interviee as well so you will have a better chance with those. Worth bearing in mind!
Thanks Southernsig. So whether I had the 6th highest score or the 10th highest score for example....my test results would stay on file with NR....and whenever I apply for a role, they will look at those results? So it is worth applying for a grade 9 role then isn't it and go for the highest result I can? Have I understood this correctly?

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

TRain87

Thanks Southernsig. So whether I had the 6th highest score or the 10th highest score for example....my test results would stay on file with NR....and whenever I apply for a role, they will look at those results? So it is worth applying for a grade 9 role then isn't it and go for the highest result I can? Have I understood this correctly?

If you take the tests and your score is 60% - they look at everyone that has applied for grade 9 job and interview the top 5, so you may have the 12th best score out of 15 pepole that applied for it, meaning you wouldn't get an interview...but then you could apply for a grade 2 job - you won't retake any test they will just look at your previous score and 60% could then be in the top 5 scores, so you'll get an interview. So in basic terms, just do the best you can and hope your score can bag you an interview for one of the jobs you apply for. Good luck

Richie P

If you take the tests and your score is 60% - they look at everyone that has applied for grade 9 job and interview the top 5, so you may have the 12th best score out of 15 pepole that applied for it, meaning you wouldn't get an interview...but then you could apply for a grade 2 job - you won't retake any test they will just look at your previous score and 60% could then be in the top 5 scores, so you'll get an interview. So in basic terms, just do the best you can and hope your score can bag you an interview for one of the jobs you apply for. Good luck
Thank you for explaining that. The test is the same whichever grade you're going for isn't it? It just depends on your own result? I was looking too deep into it thinking there were different tests for different grades. Very clear now..thanks. I will apply shortly.

Lasbrisas

Thanks Lasbrisas..that's the info i was after. Do the online tests differ for each grade application or is it the same test no matter which grade you apply for? I'm just wondering whether to apply for a grade 7 which i would need to relocate for or a grade 2 which is quite local. Could you offer what they asked you in your interviews? What is signalling school like and which one are you at? Cheers.
Sorry for the late reply, it looks like most of your questions have been answered now, I will try and answer your other questions later on but have to go out now.

gareth386

Hi Gareth....i too have been following this thread for a while. I'm looking at applying for a couple of signaller vacancies advertised at the moment. I live in South Wales and just missed the Cardiff ones. Can you offer any advice as to what they are looking for on application forms or what they asked you in interview? What job have you left to join? Any advice about your experiences through application would be appreciated. Cheers.
Good afternoon Richie,
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.
The interview was based on the Network Rail non technical skills. Learn these and write down situations where you can relate them to things you have done. Look through this thread and you'll find a lot of good info on this.
Then it was a lot of 'Can you give me an example when?' type questions, when you worked in a team, when you were under pressure, etc. Relate everything to the non technical skills and you'll be ok.
I have been working down the Pot Noodle mine for the last 7 years or so, so I gave a lot of examples relating to that, I've worked in retail and other factory jobs. I also served in the REME for 5 years as a diesel fitter, from what I've read and heard this is massive for Network Rail, they love Ex Forces.
Any other questions give me a shout.
Everything I have found out about the job and interview has been through this thread so make sure you have a good read and make notes.

Richie P

Good afternoon Richie,
Sorry it's taken me so long to get back to you.
The interview was based on the Network Rail non technical skills. Learn these and write down situations where you can relate them to things you have done. Look through this thread and you'll find a lot of good info on this.
Then it was a lot of 'Can you give me an example when?' type questions, when you worked in a team, when you were under pressure, etc. Relate everything to the non technical skills and you'll be ok.
I have been working down the Pot Noodle mine for the last 7 years or so, so I gave a lot of examples relating to that, I've worked in retail and other factory jobs. I also served in the REME for 5 years as a diesel fitter, from what I've read and heard this is massive for Network Rail, they love Ex Forces.
Any other questions give me a shout.
Everything I have found out about the job and interview has been through this thread so make sure you have a good read and make notes.
Thanks Gareth...thats a great help. I have been slowly making my way through this thread and as you say, it is full of all the info I will need hopefully. I'm hoping my previous employment in the Air Force and my current role as a Firefighter will assist in the process too, but ultimately I will need to pass the online tests in the first instance. I will certainly look at what you've said and maybe in touch again if that's ok. Thanks again

gareth386

Thanks Gareth...thats a great help. I have been slowly making my way through this thread and as you say, it is full of all the info I will need hopefully. I'm hoping my previous employment in the Air Force and my current role as a Firefighter will assist in the process too, but ultimately I will need to pass the online tests in the first instance. I will certainly look at what you've said and maybe in touch again if that's ok. Thanks again
Yeah of course, give me a shout, I'll help in any way I can.
Have a good practice of the tests before you attempt them. Make sure you've got some time to yourself without distractions to do them.
They'll love that you're ex forces, plus in such an important role as a fire fighter currently, get through the tests to the best of you're ability and I'm sure it wont be long before you get the role you're after.

Richie P

Yeah of course, give me a shout, I'll help in any way I can.
Have a good practice of the tests before you attempt them. Make sure you've got some time to yourself without distractions to do them.
They'll love that you're ex forces, plus in such an important role as a fire fighter currently, get through the tests to the best of you're ability and I'm sure it wont be long before you get the role you're after.
Cheers Gareth. One thing though...you say to have a good practice of the tests beforehand...how is that possible? Are they online somewhere?

gareth386

Cheers Gareth. One thing though...you say to have a good practice of the tests beforehand...how is that possible? Are they online somewhere?
When you apply, after you do the initial questions and application, and you get invited to test they will send you a link

Richie P

When you apply, after you do the initial questions and application, and you get invited to test they will send you a link
Ok...thanks. I take it you can practice as much as you want before taking the test? How long does the test take roughly?

Saracen_83

You have to take the test within 5days of them sending you the link, so can practice within that time, but make sure you complete it within this time

The test themselves are timed, I. Ant remember what the time is, but it is right. I didn’t complete one of the tests, and passed it, but someone on here said that they want speed and accuracy and the test designed to put you under pressure.....

Just do your best and good luck!!!!

Last edited:

Richie P

You have to take the test within 5days of them sending you the link, so can practice within that time, but make sure you complete it within this time

The test themselves are timed, I. Ant remember what the time is, but it is right. I didn’t complete one of the tests, but someone on here said that they want speed and accuracy and the test designed to put you u see pressure.....

Just do your best and good luck!!!!
Thanks Matt. Sounds like a lot of practice is the way forward then. I will definitely take everyone's advice.

Greatful

Hello ,

Quick question,
From a internal prospective that gets a signaller position and starts signalling school in the forcible months ahead. How does annual leave work when your carrying annual leave dates to signal school.im i right to think that even after completing signal school that you can use your annual leave left over to book or is it best to say no annual leave request can be taken after the course is done also.

Highlandspring

Established Member
If you're internal then give the LOM a call or send them an email. Annual leave after you're finished school but before passing out would be at their discretion anyway.

TRain87

After signalling school and you're n the box learning, you can take holiday as and when you want. It's actually easier to cover you, if you're off when learning as they don't need anyone to cover you, to work the panel. I know our roster clerk preferred it if we used holiday while training.

Greatful

After signalling school and you're n the box learning, you can take holiday as and when you want. It's actually easier to cover you, if you're off when learning as they don't need anyone to cover you, to work the panel. I know our roster clerk preferred it if we used holiday while training.

Appriciate your message very helpful.
Thank you

Treguard

Is it reasonable for someone without any signalling experience (but attending Phil Graham's block signalling course) to be able to go for Grade 1-3 signaller roles? Originally I was just looking at a crossing keeper position, but was advised by the hiring manager (after it alighted that the commute wouldn't work out) not to restrict myself to just that grade. Thanks

Llanigraham

On Moderation
Is it reasonable for someone without any signalling experience (but attending Phil Graham's block signalling course) to be able to go for Grade 1-3 signaller roles? Originally I was just looking at a crossing keeper position, but was advised by the hiring manager (after it alighted that the commute wouldn't work out) not to restrict myself to just that grade. Thanks

Considering that plenty of people enter all the grades "off the street" before going to signalling school, why not?
And sorry but who or what is "Phil Graham's block signalling course"?

john.ump

People with zero railway experience have gone straight into Grade 9 roles so don't feel restricted in what you apply for. These roles are advertised externally for a reason.

Treguard

People with zero railway experience have gone straight into Grade 9 roles so don't feel restricted in what you apply for. These roles are advertised externally for a reason.
Thanks. What started to put me off (after applying) were questions on an questionnaire regarding conflicts with team members, leading people. I've also just had an invite to an online assessment - not sure if this is standard now for Network Rail, or just for these particular roles.

john.ump

When I applied I put N/A for most of the questions as they related to specific railway events (Spads etc) so don't let that phase you. They are looking for the person who can display the correct attitude and experience in their application.

Treguard

Considering that plenty of people enter all the grades "off the street" before going to signalling school, why not?
And sorry but who or what is "Phil Graham's block signalling course"?

Ah right ok. Basically a chap called Phil Graham who has had a long career as a signaller since British Rail runs basic and advanced courses at Huddersfield and York on signalling.

When I applied I put N/A for most of the questions as they related to specific railway events (Spads etc) so don't let that phase you. They are looking for the person who can display the correct attitude and experience in their application.
Thanks. What started to put me off (after applying) were questions on an questionnaire regarding conflicts with team members, leading people. I've also just had an invite to an online assessment - not sure if this is standard now for Network Rail, or just for these particular roles.

Cheers, that makes sense and sounds like a couple of roles I've had in the past.