• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

ChrisRS

Hi guys,
I was just wondering how many applicants are there per job do you think?
Thanks.
When I applied for my grade 3 external role, this was before the pandemic started there was over 70 applicants.

I'd imagine the applicant numbers for external roles being much higher now after the job losses from the pandemic.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

Simotrfc

Hello :)

For anyone either on IST or recently finished, what’s a typical day like? Start time finish time etc :)

Thank you :) xx
Start 9 finish 3.30. You’ll either be on the sim before work or after work. after that to be going through any notes and cementing what you’ve learnt especially in the lead up to any tests. Anything more specific you want DM me

Railwayer

Start 9 finish 3.30. You’ll either be on the sim before work or after work. after that to be going through any notes and cementing what you’ve learnt especially in the lead up to any tests. Anything more specific you want DM me
Thank you :) it’s good to have some idea of what’s to come

Norfolklad

Hey all, newbie here. Well not the rail industry but this forum. Been with Nwr for over 20 years in Maintenance but just got a job as a signaller in Anglia. Been told my start date won’t be till around September as there won’t be any new signaling schools till then. Anyone else heard this? I’m not to bothered as I’m happy with my current role but would rather it have been at bit sooner.

SalzH

Hi everyone,

I finally got a call on Friday offering me a position! I’m chuffed and can’t wait to get started.

Been told my start date won’t be till around September as there won’t be any new signaling schools till then.
I've been told exactly the same thing mate. I'm due to start towards the end of September.

gareth386

Hey all, newbie here. Well not the rail industry but this forum. Been with Nwr for over 20 years in Maintenance but just got a job as a signaller in Anglia. Been told my start date won’t be till around September as there won’t be any new signaling schools till then. Anyone else heard this? I’m not to bothered as I’m happy with my current role but would rather it have been at bit sooner.

That doesn't surprise me, the company is still playing catchup from the courses that were cancelled during Covid.
If your LOM is switched on you may get lucky and manage to jump on a course earlier if someone has to cancel for some reason.
And congratulations.

SH89

Hello :)

For anyone either on IST or recently finished, what’s a typical day like? Start time finish time etc :)

Thank you :) xx
Currently going through IST at the moment, usually 9-3(ish) each day, a little earlier on a Friday. Power points learning throughout the day and pre/post class on the simulator.

The people on my course are all in the same hotel so we usually meet after dinner to go through what we’ve been taught that day

starlight

Hi everyone,

I finally got a call on Friday offering me a position! I’m chuffed and can’t wait to get started.

I've been told exactly the same thing mate. I'm due to start towards the end of September.
Congratulations @SalzH - Was this for the WMSC G6 positions as I know you applied for a few reading through the thread!

Well done again :D

Lyc0326

May I know if any mate here who had applied Rufford area, Wigan area & Whitehaven area (Grade 2) receive the recruitment email today?

Sunset route

Established Member
delete

Can anybody help with the current set up for the Lancing Crossing Keeper, Signallers and the current shift patterns? Also, where are the 2 signallers and the crossing keeper located? I'm guessing in the box on lancing level crossing???
Unsure of the current roster although I believe it’s still 8hr based and yes they are all located in lancing signalbox adjacent to the level crossing.

Athe

Hi,

Going off topic slightly, but does anyone know what discount (if any) a new Signaller gets off rail travel, and are there any travel benefits available for their other half?

Thanks

Trickster10

Hi,

Going off topic slightly, but does anyone know what discount (if any) a new Signaller gets off rail travel, and are there any travel benefits available for their other half?

Thanks
None in terms of general discount but do get a discount on season tickets which I think is around 25% and comes straight out your wage packet each pay day.

Howellj1989

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. Currently waiting to start as a G9 signaller at Didcot. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on shift patterns. I was aware that it's 12 hour patterns. Does anyone have an example of that please.
Also I've been advised by a friend that after you finish initial training you go on to a 7 hour Monday- Friday shift pattern consisting of earlies lates and nights can anyone advise on that?
Any help is appreciated.

None in terms of general discount but do get a discount on season tickets which I think is around 25% and comes straight out your wage packet each pay day.
The discount is 75% and I believe you can get a loan for the remaining 25% which is taken from your pay... I'm pretty sure that's how it works

Devonish

It actually works out about 50% discount due to tax reasons I believe.

As an aside does anyone know if the discount can be used to buy tickets it London that include the travel card element?

ArkUTD

@starlight

Thanks :D, and yes it was. Just looking forward to getting started now.

Do you have any applications open at the moment?
Congrats indeed, i haven't heard anything, but been told by recruitment that everyone should have been told by the end of this week.

Got a feeling I won't get the job, but hoping for a Reserve list

cpn

The discount is 75% and I believe you can get a loan for the remaining 25% which is taken from your pay... I'm pretty sure that's how it works

It actually works out about 50% discount due to tax reasons I believe.
As an aside does anyone know if the discount can be used to buy tickets it London that include the travel card element?

The season ticket scheme is administered through Abellio Corporate Travel and is open to all NR employees. You are entitled to 75% off the cost of a single annual season ticket of your choice; the remaining 25% cost is covered by a loan which you repay in installments, spread over 5 or 10 payslips (your choice) and deducted before tax is calculated, so the overall discount will be more like 85% (depending on your tax code). [Looking again at my payslips, and following High Dyke's excellent post downthread, this bit isn't quite right: the 25% loan is tax free, but the 75% subsidy is a taxable benefit (both income tax & National Insurance contributions), so the effective discount is more like 35-45%, depending on your earnings & tax code.]

Yes, you can select a London travelcard as your season ticket: you still need to input a "home station" for it to be "From", and then you select the destination to be "To: London Zones 1-6" (or however many you choose).

I don't believe partners get any benefit from this nationwide scheme; although...
(a) If you do go for a London Travelcard, then it currently comes as a paper "Annual Gold Card" (it used to be loaded onto an Oyster); this acts as a railcard offering you an additional 1/3 discount on most rail journeys in the South-east of England, and the discount does then apply to up to 3 adults travelling with you
(b) If you're lucky enough to be employed on the Wessex Route - where SWR extend their free staff travel passes to the local NR staff as well - that scheme does apply to partners as well

Last edited:

Rockhopper

Its worth noting that if you enter into a salary sacrifice agreement then that will reduce your pensions contributions for the period of the agreement which will in turn reduce your final pension.

mdfc

Hi all, hoping someone can give me some practical advice on the pensions available because I see there are three options, but which is best? I've not had a rail pension before if that helps.

Rockhopper

Hi all, hoping someone can give me some practical advice on the pensions available because I see there are three options, but which is best? I've not had a rail pension before if that helps.
Seriously - speak to an independent financial advisor.

otter11

The season ticket scheme is administered through Abellio Corporate Travel and is open to all NR employees. You are entitled to 75% off the cost of a single annual season ticket of your choice; the remaining 25% cost is covered by a loan which you repay in installments, spread over 5 or 10 payslips (your choice) and deducted before tax is calculated, so the overall discount will be more like 85% (depending on your tax code).

Yes, you can select a London travelcard as your season ticket: you still need to input a "home station" for it to be "From", and then you select the destination to be "To: London Zones 1-6" (or however many you choose).

I don't believe partners get any benefit from this nationwide scheme; although...
(a) If you do go for a London Travelcard, then it currently comes as a paper "Annual Gold Card" (it used to be loaded onto an Oyster); this acts as a railcard offering you an additional 1/3 discount on most rail journeys in the South-east of England, and the discount does then apply to up to 3 adults travelling with you
(b) If you're lucky enough to be employed on the Wessex Route - where SWR extend their free staff travel passes to the local NR staff as well - that scheme does apply to partners as well
Hi
Could someone please clarify whether you have to pay tax on the 75% ‘free’ portion of the season ticket?
There seem to be some conflicting answers on here as some are suggesting it is taxable whereas others are saying you just pay the 25% as a loan and do not have to pay tax on the remaining 75%.
Makes a big difference to how much you save so any help much appreciated!

cowboysfan

Hi
Could someone please clarify whether you have to pay tax on the 75% ‘free’ portion of the season ticket?
There seem to be some conflicting answers on here as some are suggesting it is taxable whereas others are saying you just pay the 25% as a loan and do not have to pay tax on the remaining 75%.
Makes a big difference to how much you save so any help much appreciated!
When I got my first payslip after the season ticket my season ticket total is 4260. I was paid 1510 - Season Ticket Loan aswell as 2750 Season Ticket Subsidy then on deductions I was deducted 4260 Season Ticket cost before tax was taken off. I now pay the 1510 back in 10 installments at 151 pound a month off my pay before tax, which I just make sure I do RDW to cover this cost each month.

Worth noting the maximum subsidy on a season ticket is 2750 or 75% provided it doesn't go over 2750 as you can see my season ticket is quite expensive so I hit the maximum subsidy.

Hope that helps give you some understanding of how the season tickets payment works.

blake123

Hi,

how long are you in training for after you have passed IST?

Does anyone know the shift roster for the Bristol panel? I know it's 12 hours but in terms of how it looks? (I've seen many on this forum but curious about Bristol)

Thank you for the reply in advance, take care.