• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

cowboysfan

Hi,

how long are you in training for after you have passed IST?

Does anyone know the shift roster for the Bristol panel? I know it's 12 hours but in terms of how it looks? (I've seen many on this forum but curious about Bristol)

Thank you for the reply in advance, take care.
In terms of training after you have passed IST its purely down to you as an individual and when you feel comfotable to pass out at the location you are working. Just take your time don't feel the need to rush no one will be expectant of you to pass out as fast as you can.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

otter11

When I got my first payslip after the season ticket my season ticket total is 4260. I was paid 1510 - Season Ticket Loan aswell as 2750 Season Ticket Subsidy then on deductions I was deducted 4260 Season Ticket cost before tax was taken off. I now pay the 1510 back in 10 installments at 151 pound a month off my pay before tax, which I just make sure I do RDW to cover this cost each month.

Worth noting the maximum subsidy on a season ticket is 2750 or 75% provided it doesn't go over 2750 as you can see my season ticket is quite expensive so I hit the maximum subsidy.

Hope that helps give you some understanding of how the season tickets payment works.
Thank you, this makes perfect sense.

BrummieBobby

Hi,

how long are you in training for after you have passed IST?

Does anyone know the shift roster for the Bristol panel? I know it's 12 hours but in terms of how it looks? (I've seen many on this forum but curious about Bristol)

Thank you for the reply in advance, take care.

As long as it takes for you and the person passing you out to feel confident working the box / panel alone.

Of the 3 panels I sign, the first one took me 3 months; the other two took less time as I was more comfortable signalling by myself by that point.

ShebQ

anyone coming near the end of their current FTC?
What tends to be the process going forward…find another job? Does your LOM / NR support to find another role ? Extend your contract?

Any feedback would be of great benefit and insight of what to expect to come !

cpn

Hi
Could someone please clarify whether you have to pay tax on the 75% ‘free’ portion of the season ticket?
There seem to be some conflicting answers on here as some are suggesting it is taxable whereas others are saying you just pay the 25% as a loan and do not have to pay tax on the remaining 75%.
Makes a big difference to how much you save so any help much appreciated!
So far as I can tell from my own payslips, you do not pay any tax on the season ticket: neither the 75% discount nor the 25% loan is included in the "taxable pay" figure.

EDIT: I checked again after High Dyke's informative post below, and they are quite correct - the loan is tax-free (being under £10k), but the 75% discount is a taxable benefit. It is not taxed on the payslip where it appears, but it is declared by NR to HMRC at the end of the tax year, and will then affect your tax code in subsequent years, as well as increasing your National Insurance payments & any student loan repayments.

Last edited:

Devonish

It's all to do with it being a taxable benefit in kind. Some references at:

And

Defenestrate

So far as I can tell from my own payslips, you do not pay any tax on the season ticket: neither the 75% discount nor the 25% loan is included in the "taxable pay" figure.
You will need to fill in a P11D form - Google this and it should go into detail about taxation on benefits in kind.

otter11

Last edited:

Trothy

The 75% (or maximum subsidy amount if you hit that) is a taxable benefit in kind so you can expect to pay tax on it.

High Dyke

Established Member
The 75% (or maximum subsidy amount if you hit that) is a taxable benefit in kind so you can expect to pay tax on it.
This doesn’t seem to match what cpn and cowboysfan are saying above…
Without trying to detract this thread too much. The quotes below are from the Network Rail FAQ document on Season Ticket loans. This information is available to employees on the MyConnect webpages.
The maximum loan without it becoming a taxable benefit is £10,000.

Subsidies of 75% are available (up to a maximum of £1375 on 6 month tickets and £2750 on 12 month tickets). These are granted for the purchase of rail or underground season tickets and Oyster cards, safeguarded travel discounts do not already apply. The maximum amounts being reviewed annually.

If you’re entitled to safeguarded travel facilities or any other discounted ticket arrangement, you can apply for a non Subsidised interest-free loan to help spread the cost of your privilege rate season ticket.

For more information on the rules around this benefit please see the Season Ticket and car parking loan/subsidy policy and process document.
Subsidised season ticket and loan
In the pay period that the Subsidised ticket is issued to you, the Subsidy, loan and ticket cost will show on your payslip. National Insurance Contributions (NICs) will be calculated on the amount of the subsidy and deducted from your salary. Any student loan repayments you make will also be affected by this. Your ticket will be issued with a letter showing how this transaction will appear on your payslip.

The taxable benefit in kind will be reported by Network Rail to HM Revenue & Customs on your P11D form by 6 July after the end of the tax year. You will receive a copy of this form one month before that date.
Are there any tax implications to taking out a loan?
No, taxable benefit arises where the total amount of the loans supplied by the company is less than £10,000 at any time during the tax year (6th April to following 5th April). If you exceed the £10,000 limit at any time the whole amount of the loan becomes a taxable benefit. This will be shown on your P11d annual benefits in kind statement after the end of that tax year.

Subsidies are reported to Her Majesty’s Revenue and Customs (HMRC) as a taxable benefit and as such will appear on your P11d. As the benefit isn’t reported to HMRC until 6th July after the end of the tax year there will be a delay in taxing the benefit for the first year of your RBT season ticket. HMRC require you to pay the tax due on the benefit for the first year as a direct payment under Self-Assessment. An adjustment is then made to your PAYE tax code for the second year onwards, on the assumption that a similar benefit continues to be provided. You should therefore make sure you are able to pay this tax when it is due.

Alternatively, you can advise HMRC of the benefit in kind as soon as you know the amount and timing of your subsidy (or you can estimate the amount if necessary) and ask for your PAYE tax code to be adjusted straight away. Where possible the tax due for the first year can then be paid to HMRC by way of PAYE deductions during the same tax year.

otter11

Without trying to detract this thread too much. The quotes below are from the Network Rail FAQ document on Season Ticket loans. This information is available to employees on the MyConnect webpages.
Thanks very much, I think this clarifies the full situation:

25% loan - tax free.
75% subsidy - taxable, but due to the way it is processed/appears on the payslip you likely won’t pay the tax straight away, but should expect to pay it at some point.

Kinny999

May I know if any mate here who had applied Rufford area, Wigan area & Whitehaven area (Grade 2) receive the recruitment email today?

Just received call today! Accepted job offer for Rufford grade 2 signaller! :D over the moon:)

Long time lurker here, I also had the call on Thursday for Rufford area - Signalling school starting August - nice to meet you all and apologies for my lurking and complete lack of posting prior to today. Lyc0326 / Maisdxx - I may be seeing you in August!

The Don

Long time lurker here, I also had the call on Thursday for Rufford area - Signalling school starting August - nice to meet you all and apologies for my lurking and complete lack of posting prior to today. Lyc0326 / Maisdxx - I may be seeing you in August!
See you then

MaisDxx

will see you then ! and anyone else :)

fatlad68

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can help me. Currently waiting to start as a G9 signaller at Didcot. I was wondering if anyone could shed some light on shift patterns. I was aware that it's 12 hour patterns. Does anyone have an example of that please.
Also I've been advised by a friend that after you finish initial training you go on to a 7 hour Monday- Friday shift pattern consisting of earlies lates and nights can anyone advise on that?
Any help is appreciated.
There are 3 G9 links at TVSC, it depends on which one you are going on as to your exact roster. Very roughly its a 3 day week either mon-wed or thur-sat which alternate between days and nights, you will also get a couple of rostered Sundays a month once you pass out. So every so often you get a mon-wed one week and a thur-sat the week after so basically a week off in between.

The trainees do get put on 7 hours when they start learning the desks but I've only see them do days or nights, not a late shift. This is because it is a long slog for a brand new trainee and also the mentor doing 12hrs at a time on a G9 desk. You are not just learning the desk but how to signal on one of the busiest desks on the railway where failed trains and broken equipment is a daily occurrence.

I'm think they let them go onto 12hrs after they have shown they are getting the hang of it and are progressing well with the training.

Open_G

I am at the last stage before induction, the medical, so assuming all is OK with this I am due to start training in Feb 23. This seems like one heck of a wait but its something to look forward to I suppose.

Are NR likely to keep in touch during this time? its strange to have such a long wait but the entire thing has been really rather pedestrian.

Haven't got my medical date yet but was told it would probably be winter time before this was organised.

Seanymoz

Hi all sorry to jump in here, wasn’t sure where to post on the forums.
I have medical to come around December time then training due to start early January 2023 for Grade 2 signaller.

That being said does anyone know the shift pattern at Hexham west line area? The guy who interviewed me said to go up to the signal box and speak to someone on shift but a little nervous to approach the box without prior arrangements, would hate to disturb them?

Thanks in advance.

PTGRail

Hey everyone, I’m a long-term lurker on this thread. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their input here, as I’ve found the information very helpful!

I’ve applied to TVSC twice and been rejected at the initial application. But recently got shortlisted for the grades 2-5 roles on the North London Line. Passed the assessments and just had the interview via video link today. Not sure how I did, but it felt like perhaps one of the better job interviews I’ve done. The manager said the specific role they’re recruiting for is the flexi role based at Willesden.

I’ve been working in the London Ambulance control room as an emergency dispatcher for the past 3 years, and can only hope I was able to show how the skills and attributes required in my current role are transferable to the role of signaller! Now it’s time for a long waiting game, as I was told it’s likely to be the end of June before I hear back from todays interview.

If anyone has any information on Willesden, Neasden, Dudding Hill, Acton Canal Wharf, or Upper Holloway boxes then please DM me!

Thanks again everyone, and good luck to everyone else who is going through the application and recruitment process for signaller jobs.

High Dyke

Established Member
I have medical to come around December time then training due to start early January 2023 for Grade 2 signaller.

That being said does anyone know the shift pattern at Hexham west line area? The guy who interviewed me said to go up to the signal box and speak to someone on shift but a little nervous to approach the box without prior arrangements, would hate to disturb them?

Thanks in advance.
Whilst I can't give any information about boxes in that area. I would suggest contacting the respective LOM for the area asking when the best time to visit would be, as advised.

HamSandwich

Thanks in advance.

I work on the West Line, most people are very friendly but I would get in touch with the LOM to ask about visits, and to get the phone numbers of the box(es) you want to visit so you can ring and ask first so they know to expect you.

I've been told our roster is going to change come October time so if you're not starting until Jan then it'll be new, there are ongoing discussions as to what it will be.

Open_G

Thanks in advance.
Your dates are very similar to those that I’ve been told.

Are you likely to be training in York?

Signaller2be

Hey everyone, I’m a long-term lurker on this thread. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their input here, as I’ve found the information very helpful!

I’ve applied to TVSC twice and been rejected at the initial application. But recently got shortlisted for the grades 2-5 roles on the North London Line. Passed the assessments and just had the interview via video link today. Not sure how I did, but it felt like perhaps one of the better job interviews I’ve done. The manager said the specific role they’re recruiting for is the flexi role based at Willesden.

I’ve been working in the London Ambulance control room as an emergency dispatcher for the past 3 years, and can only hope I was able to show how the skills and attributes required in my current role are transferable to the role of signaller! Now it’s time for a long waiting game, as I was told it’s likely to be the end of June before I hear back from todays interview.

If anyone has any information on Willesden, Neasden, Dudding Hill, Acton Canal Wharf, or Upper Holloway boxes then please DM me!

Thanks again everyone, and good luck to everyone else who is going through the application and recruitment process for signaller jobs.
Hey ,

I also did the interview yesterday for Willesden, Neasden, Dudding Hill, Acton Canal Wharf, or Upper Holloway boxes and now the wait begins *sigh*

I don’t know how to dm you but would love to stay in contact , so we can let eachother know when we get an update.

BrummieBobby

Does anyone have a copy of the G6 West Midlands shift pattern?

If you mean West Midlands Signalling Centre, different areas work different patterns, inherited from when each area was its own separate PSB or group of boxes (So the Wolves Signallers work a different pattern to Walsall / Bescot, who work a different pattern to Saltley, who work a different pattern to Coventry etc.)

mdfc

If you mean West Midlands Signalling Centre, different areas work different patterns, inherited from when each area was its own separate PSB or group of boxes (So the Wolves Signallers work a different pattern to Walsall / Bescot, who work a different pattern to Saltley, who work a different pattern to Coventry etc.)
Ah OK, I did mean for WMSC, as I start in July. Any ideas how we'll know what pattern we end up on?

Also don't suppose you have any examples of the patterns? Thanks.

ArchangelA

Ah OK, I did mean for WMSC, as I start in July. Any ideas how we'll know what pattern we end up on?

Also don't suppose you have any examples of the patterns? Thanks.
This is my experience...if you successfully finish at signalling school you'll be posted by the training manager to a particular workstation at WMSC to train on (which could be anywhere within the WMSC, unless you've been recruited for a particular role). Bearing in mind, as @BrummieBobby says each workstation works different shift patterns. You will normally have to fit in with a particular signaller trainer and fit in and around anyone else training on that workstation as they wont want more than two of you sat there. You'll then be required to spend time learning that workstation under the guidance of your trainer who will tell you what to do and when. You'll also need to be aware that not every signaller posted to that workstation is a trainer/or wants a trainee sat next to them, so you have to respect that.
If you've joined there on a fixed term contract you should be applying for jobs whilst in training, either before passing out of signal school or whilst training on the job in the WMSC it doesn't matter when (and there are usually plenty of internal jobs up for grabs on the internal vacancy list every now and then). If you go through all the interview processes (again) and are lucky enough to be offered a permanent position then you will normally go to that workstation to train at an agreed time (or stay on the one you're training on if you've applied for a job on that one and been successful). All trainee signallers are then expected to pass out on the workstation by showing a certain level of competence usually within 6 weeks-but there is no rush to pass out as there is lots to learn. Until that time you will stay on the training pay that you were recruited on albeit any shift enhancements will still be paid extra.
Depending on whether you have a resident signaller position or relief role will normally depend on your roster and what you are paid. You also need to bear in mind that new signallers are usually expected to be relief signallers for a spell (unless told different) which means that you wont know your roster any more than one week in advance other than the rest days.

mdfc

This is my experience...if you successfully finish at signalling school you'll be posted by the training manager to a particular workstation at WMSC to train on (which could be anywhere within the WMSC, unless you've been recruited for a particular role). Bearing in mind, as @BrummieBobby says each workstation works different shift patterns. You will normally have to fit in with a particular signaller trainer and fit in and around anyone else training on that workstation as they wont want more than two of you sat there. You'll then be required to spend time learning that workstation under the guidance of your trainer who will tell you what to do and when. You'll also need to be aware that not every signaller posted to that workstation is a trainer/or wants a trainee sat next to them, so you have to respect that.
If you've joined there on a fixed term contract you should be applying for jobs whilst in training, either before passing out of signal school or whilst training on the job in the WMSC it doesn't matter when (and there are usually plenty of internal jobs up for grabs on the internal vacancy list every now and then). If you go through all the interview processes (again) and are lucky enough to be offered a permanent position then you will normally go to that workstation to train at an agreed time (or stay on the one you're training on if you've applied for a job on that one and been successful). All trainee signallers are then expected to pass out on the workstation by showing a certain level of competence usually within 6 weeks-but there is no rush to pass out as there is lots to learn. Until that time you will stay on the training pay that you were recruited on albeit any shift enhancements will still be paid extra.
Depending on whether you have a resident signaller position or relief role will normally depend on your roster and what you are paid. You also need to bear in mind that new signallers are usually expected to be relief signallers for a spell (unless told different) which means that you wont know your roster any more than one week in advance other than the rest days.
Thanks so much for all the info mate!

otter11

Hi everyone,
I’ve noticed there are adverts on the NR website for Grade 7 positions in Feltham and Guildford.
There’s no mention of moving to Basingstoke ROC.
Does anyone know if these locations are planned to move to Basingstoke still, and if so what the timings are of this move?
Many thanks in advance