• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Novice123

Can anybody confirm if Wembley Mainline (G8) is 12hr rota?

Historic comments in this thread (circa. 2020) say the box was 8hrs but it would 'likely' be moving to 12hr.

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

nom de guerre

Indeed you are, only takes one manager to take a dislike and that’s your promotion gone.

20+ years of union membership before I left, don’t think they’ll be there for you. Its very much a location lottery as to if you get help or not and the quality of that help.

I've not been on as long as you, but the union have always been there when I've needed them. Perhaps I've just been lucky with my locations. Regardless of the collective bargaining/industrial relations side, I'd personally always want to be able to call on a union rep if I needed one for any workplace disputes or disciplinary proceedings. Granted, that union doesn't necessarily have to be the RMT.

As for managers "taking a dislike", I'm not quite following how striking might negatively affect a new signaller's future job prospects. The idea that the interviewing LOM for a promotion 6-12 months-plus down the line will be cross-checking the attendance records of each internal applicant against strike days and seeking to unofficially discriminate against 'offenders' seems rather far-fetched IMO (not to mention possibly illegal).

godfreycomplex

Established Member
I've not been on as long as you, but the union have always been there when I've needed them. Perhaps I've just been lucky with my locations. Regardless of the collective bargaining/industrial relations side, I'd personally always want to be able to call on a union rep if I needed one for any workplace disputes or disciplinary proceedings. Granted, that union doesn't necessarily have to be the RMT.

As for managers "taking a dislike", I'm not quite following how striking might negatively affect a new signaller's future job prospects. The idea that the interviewing LOM for a promotion 6-12 months-plus down the line will be cross-checking the attendance records of each internal applicant against strike days and seeking to unofficially discriminate against 'offenders' seems rather far-fetched IMO (not to mention possibly illegal).
Emphatically against Network Rail’s internal policy and very possibly in breach of the Employment Regulations Act 1999 indeed

High Dyke

Established Member

Emphatically against Network Rail’s internal policy and very possibly in breach of the Employment Regulations Act 1999 indeed
Oddly enough, I'd just posted similar information on the Network Rail Yammer pages.

Refusing to employ you for trade union membership reasons​

An employer or employment agency is not allowed to insist that you:
  • join or leave a trade union
  • leave one union for another

Dismissal for trade union membership reasons​

Your employer is not allowed to dismiss you or choose you for redundancy because you:
  • are or want to be a union member
  • are not or do not want to be a union member
  • took part or wanted to take part in union activities

Other unfavourable treatment​

Your employer must not treat you unfavourably (for example refusing you promotion or training opportunities) if you:
  • join a union
  • take part in its meetings
  • leave a union

Lyc0326

Could someone has recently undertaken the medial assessment? Please advice what form it takes please.

Just finished the DBS and employment history check last week and wondering how long should I wait coz I haven't received any calls from the health center yet.

y0rkie287

Got the job on my 10th application here! Just got to keep plugging away, it is something of a numbers game.
I must have done something very right as I got offered mine on my 1st attempt, totally wasn't expecting it, with that sort of luck maybe I should go buy a lottery ticket :lol:

Could someone has recently undertaken the medial assessment? Please advice what form it takes please.

Just finished the DBS and employment history check last week and wondering how long should I wait coz I haven't received any calls from the health center yet.
I queried this as my offer email said to hear within 5 working days, this passed so I emailed and was told that the drug and alcohol tests only have a validity period of 3 months, so due to my start date being 19th december I wouldn't have the medical until at least 19th september, so I am waiting on that now, like you I would also like a heads up on what to expect during the medical

Being on here must have been an omen, just received an email to order PPE, things are still moving :D

Last edited:

Canonite

I would chase it up with your contact and ask for an update.
Do check your contact info is accurate and check Junk mail boxes

Frothy_B

Hi all, I'm going to be applying for the Marston Vale position. Would anyone be able to tell me what the shift pattern would be? With no paths between 23:00 and 05:00 would it be 12 hours 00:00 to 12:00 and 12:00 to 24:00?

Canonite

To those who had interviews, did you get any correspondence after your interview?
Or did you just get the unsuccessful / successful email a week or two later?

Leeward

To those who had interviews, did you get any correspondence after your interview?
Or did you just get the unsuccessful / successful email a week or two later?

It's been over a week since mine and I've heard nothing, despite being told I would know within 3 working days.

But if there's anything that this thread has taught me, it's that Network Rail do not rush the recruitment process by any means.

Woody27

It's been over a week since mine and I've heard nothing, despite being told I would know within 3 working days.

But if there's anything that this thread has taught me, it's that Network Rail do not rush the recruitment process by any means.
I was also told 3 days, so won’t expect anything any time soon !!

Defenestrate

I was also told 3 days, so won’t expect anything any time soon !!
If they say days, translate it to weeks. Weeks, to months. Anything closer to the actual time mentioned is a bonus.
you'll hear from us in 3 working days = maybe you'll receive something in 3 weeks

Exscrew

Welcome to the railway, everything takes forever.

Woody27

Hi all, a couple of questions for those that have recently interviewed, did those that were successful all receive an email, a day or 2 after, thanking them for attending, and telling them they had done well? And those that weren’t so lucky, did they call or email you to deliver the final blow??

Macs1981

Hi, ive been reading lots on here but rarely post. I interviewed for a Grade 4 role in Exeter on Tuesday and had a call today to say I've been successful. Im absolutely over the moon.
Got lots of questions about the shift pattern in Exeter so my wife and i can start figuring out work and kids etc, anyone know what they are at St Davids?

Woody27

Hi, ive been reading lots on here but rarely post. I interviewed for a Grade 4 role in Exeter on Tuesday and had a call today to say I've been successful. Im absolutely over the moon.
Got lots of questions about the shift pattern in Exeter so my wife and i can start figuring out work and kids etc, anyone know what they are at St Davids?
Sent you a pm mate

SalzH

Hi all, a couple of questions for those that have recently interviewed, did those that were successful all receive an email, a day or 2 after, thanking them for attending, and telling them they had done well? And those that weren’t so lucky, did they call or email you to deliver the final blow??

For any application where I was unsuccessful, I received an email fairly quickly. When I was successful, I got the good news via a call about 10 days after the interview.

Canonite

For any application where I was unsuccessful, I received an email fairly quickly. When I was successful, I got the good news via a call about 10 days after the interview.
I’ve always had the “thanks but no thanks” pretty quickly too.
There are a few posts on here where people say they received an email to say they had done well and were in the top pool. Does anyone have that email wording?
The suspense is agonising lol

Woody27

the recruitment team tried to call me yesterday, 2 days after my interview, trying to decide if that’s for good news or bad!

denzilson

Well I just completed the Signaller Scenario Test... which was not fun at all. I can see what they are after... they just want you to relay the given information back to them in a concise manner and emphasise the safety aspect of everything (which I think I achieved, despite being somewhat stilted in my delivery).
Hello Leeward, I am due to sit the Signaller Scenario test any day now, could you give me any helpful hints or tips? I appreciate you can't (or shouldn't) give answers, but an example of how the test is structured would be appreciated. Do I need specific Signalling knowledge or is this more a communication assessment?

Canonite

Hello Leeward, I am due to sit the Signaller Scenario test any day now, could you give me any helpful hints or tips? I appreciate you can't (or shouldn't) give answers, but an example of how the test is structured would be appreciated. Do I need specific Signalling knowledge or is this more a communication assessment?

All the information you need is presented to you in the Brief that is sent to you.

You are then presented with several scenarios that develop on from what is contained in the candidate brief.

Your task is to respond to the scenarios as best you can, based on the information you have been given, and using your own personal responses, based on what you have learnt about the role of a Signaller.

I worried too much about it but it’s actually alright. The Scenarios I was tasked with were different to the ones posted previously on here, so learn about the role and digest everything in the brief.

Leeward

All the information you need is presented to you in the Brief that is sent to you.

You are then presented with several scenarios that develop on from what is contained in the candidate brief.

Your task is to respond to the scenarios as best you can, based on the information you have been given, and using your own personal responses, based on what you have learnt about the role of a Signaller.

I worried too much about it but it’s actually alright. The Scenarios I was tasked with were different to the ones posted previously on here, so learn about the role and digest everything in the brief.

This.

It won't feel natural... I didn't enjoy it at all. But as Canonite said, it's essentially a common sense exercise. Don't overthink it. You're basically tasked with relaying information back to them. Just be brief, clear and concise.

That’s what I’m hoping, I’ll find out soon enough

Any word? You mentioned some missed calls.

Last edited:

Woody27

This.

It won't feel natural... I didn't enjoy it at all. But as Canonite said, it's essentially a common sense exercise. Don't overthink it. You're basically tasked with relaying information back to them. Just be brief, clear and concise.

Any word? You mentioned some missed calls.
Nothing today, guess I’ll have to wait till Tuesday