• Our booking engine at tickets.railforums.co.uk (powered by TrainSplit) helps support the running of the forum with every ticket purchase! Find out more and ask any questions/give us feedback in this thread!

A career as a signaller

Seejwalker

Sign up to the IHG points scheme at the hotel in Preston is my best advice for signalling school.

Good luck
Such a brilliant idea. I stayed at the Marriot for 12wks on my signalling school. I wish I’d of asked if they have one now.
Will definitely be bearing this in mind when I start my driver training next month..

Sponsor Post - registered members do not see these adverts; click here to register, or click here to log in
R

RailUK Forums

ChunkyChips

I’m at Bristol IST and staying at the Hilton double tree, they do a points scheme, only done 5 weeks, I’m already a diamond member!
Nice!

Such a brilliant idea. I stayed at the Marriot for 12wks on my signalling school. I wish I’d of asked if they have one now.
Will definitely be bearing this in mind when I start my driver training next month..
Are you quitting signalling to become a train driver?

Last edited:

Simotrfc

Good luck mate,my TOC made me drive in everyday, I can’t speak for all but signalling school was far harder than the initial driving course so it wasn’t to bad

Least we’ll never stag on a gate ever again haha

Seejwalker

Good luck mate,my TOC made me drive in everyday, I can’t speak for all but signalling school was far harder than the initial driving course so it wasn’t to bad

Least we’ll never stag on a gate ever again haha
You’ve gone from Driving to signalling?

Are you quitting signalling to become a train driver?
Absolutely mate and I can’t wait to get away haha

Seejwalker

Congrats on passing the driver selection! Was it always your plan to become a driver or was it only after you got tired of signalling?
I had job offers for driving before signalling but took signalling as it suited me best at the time.
I feel I’ve gotten everything out of signalling that I ever will and have no desire to climb within network rail as its……. Well I needn’t go into it but it’s a joke.

No mate signalling to driving. Currently doing my hours
Glad you made the switch? Our background will certainly be a huge advantage surely.

ChunkyChips

I had job offers for driving before signalling but took signalling as it suited me best at the time.
I feel I’ve gotten everything out of signalling that I ever will and have no desire to climb within network rail as its……. Well I needn’t go into it but it’s a joke.

Glad you made the switch? Our background will certainly be a huge advantage surely.
How long have you been a signaller?

Seejwalker

How long have you been a signaller?
South of 4 years.

Interested in applying for Basingstoke ROC. What do the shift patterns look like?
You railway already or off the street?

BROC roster is brilliant, I worked there for a a few months before being seconded back to Feltham.

The atmosphere is about as dead as it gets and the LOM has zero personal skills.

There’s a good bunch there though, so swings and roundabouts.

ChunkyChips

South of 4 years.

BROC roster is brilliant, I worked there for a a few months before being seconded back to Feltham.

The atmosphere is about as dead as it gets and the LOM has zero personal skills.

Good luck with your driver training :)

je1991

Start date just been confirmed for the 16th of January signalling school the week after. found the information on this forum very helpfully thanks to everyone on here for uploading your knowledge got as far as page 370 so far lol.

Lyc0326

Just wondering if I have to book the hotel myself for the IST

Also, I got no updates/calls from NR since I was received the confirmation email said I'll start at 3 Jan. Hope they call me at least 1 week before my start...

Royal351

Also, I got no updates/calls from NR since I was received the confirmation email said I'll start at 3 Jan. Hope they call me at least 1 week before my start...
Just had the same conversation with my LOM, just give them an email (if you've got it) and enquire.

Railrunnerjb

I am indeed, just wondering if you have had your joining instructions yet?
Think so, I've got the location, training itinerary and hotel name. I had to chase my LOM and the training department up for it though. Got a meeting with my LOM on the 4th to go through any paperwork that's left over.

illberries

As far as I'm aware, your LOM now has to book hotels/ travel for you. I'm starting IST in Basingstoke on the 9th Jan and my LOM was informed they had to sort accommodation. Might be worth getting in touch.

Had all my itenary etc through for it yesterday. Exciting stuff!!

Andy9gc

South of 4 years.

Railway for 7 years as a guard.

In terms of atmosphere where I work now it really is a 50/50 split so should be able to cope with that no problem :)

My travel time is likely to be around 45 - 55 mins depending on traffic. At the moment I do 7 days in a row between rest days with the same travelling time. I understand BROC is 12 hour shifts so I imagine 5 days in a row is the maximum. What would be normal 3-4 days working then RDs?

Are nights and day shifts rotated weekly or over a longer period?

Seejwalker

Railway for 7 years as a guard.

In terms of atmosphere where I work now it really is a 50/50 split so should be able to cope with that no problem :)

My travel time is likely to be around 45 - 55 mins depending on traffic. At the moment I do 7 days in a row between rest days with the same travelling time. I understand BROC is 12 hour shifts so I imagine 5 days in a row is the maximum. What would be normal 3-4 days working then RDs?

Are nights and day shifts rotated weekly or over a longer period?
Yeah 3-4 the 4 would be your Sunday which you can obviously book off if you’re crazy and don’t like money hahah

You naturally get more nights and they come around quicker. But getting your working week done in 3-4 shifts is brilliant.

I’ve never met a person who doesn’t love a 12hr roster. Especially the BROC one.

I can’t give much more information on the roster as I’ve been out of there for over a year and it changed when the Ascot workstation arrived.

That will happen again when the Staines workstation and 2nd crossing desk goes in.

Andy9gc

Yeah 3-4 the 4 would be your Sunday which you can obviously book off if you’re crazy and don’t like money hahah

You naturally get more nights and they come around quicker. But getting your working week done in 3-4 shifts is brilliant.

I’ve never met a person who doesn’t love a 12hr roster. Especially the BROC one.

I can’t give much more information on the roster as I’ve been out of there for over a year and it changed when the Ascot workstation arrived.

That will happen again when the Staines workstation and 2nd crossing desk goes in.

Thanks for all the info

I'm pretty sure I will enjoy the 12 hour shifts more.

What is normal in terms of Sundays? 1 every 2 weeks or so?

MikeyFord

Think so, I've got the location, training itinerary and hotel name. I had to chase my LOM and the training department up for it though. Got a meeting with my LOM on the 4th to go through any paperwork that's left over.
Cool, I'll see what i get sent in the new year I think most folk are breaking for Xmas in the next few days so doubt much will happen until then!

SWTurbo

Thanks for all the info

I'm pretty sure I will enjoy the 12 hour shifts more.

What is normal in terms of Sundays? 1 every 2 weeks or so?
My roster (12s for the time being), is 4 weeks off, then sunday night, sunday day the next week, then back to 4 off

careerpredator

I am just coming to the end of TCB IST, now into week 11. I cannot explain how much commitment it takes, the course is very good but I believe is set to test you mentally as much as anything else. Anybody with any questions regards the course and what it entails then feel free to message :smile:
Hi bud, I don’t think I can message you yet would you be able let us know on here

Andy9gc

My roster (12s for the time being), is 4 weeks off, then sunday night, sunday day the next week, then back to 4 off

Thanks, a little more spaced out than I thought. Nice to have the 4 off though.

Apologies if this has been answered elsewhere, what is the basic pay for a grade 7 signaller taking into account rostored Sundays. And what would be realistic If working overtime?

Last edited:

C70

Interested in applying for Basingstoke ROC. What do the shift patterns look like?
I have a hunch that the current g7 Basingstoke / Eastleigh / Salisbury may be Basingstoke ASC rather than ROC, which I believe is 8 hour shifts.